Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Trouble Booting Rescue Cd

Options
borrent
edited February 2022 in The Archive

I have a PC and a laptop without any problems. I got interested in what the BitDefender Rescue cd has to offer. So I made a bootable usb-stick and tried it on my laptop. Everything works fine. I could update the virus descriptons and scan the laptop. It looks great.

Then I tried to use it on my PC. But it didn't work. I could boot and I saw the screen with the logo with fire and water from BitDefender, but no 'buttons' or icons on the screen. After 10 seconds or something the screen got completely black. Even after 10 minutes no progress, screen is still black

I am using a very recent rescue disc iso from a few weeks old. Any ideas what is hampering a succesfull boot of this rescue cd??

Comments

• borrent
    edited August 2012
    Options

Did some more effort to find the cause. I burned a cd for the BitDefender Rescue disc. No succes on my pc. However a bootable clonezilla cd boot_s fine on this pc.

Have no clue at this moment how to solve this ...

• I tried to get some more details. Booted in verbose mode. A lot of text keeps running on my PC screen. It looks okay, allthough I am not able to interpret all this information. Untill I get: '' * Trying to mount all partitions from your system''. Then I get a black screen on my PC. Without any response for a long time. On my laptop I get rather quickly the complete operating system Bitdefender is using.

• I was thinking about the differences between my pc and my laptop. My laptop has got only one windows partition. My pc has more partitions, with both windows and linux. Could it be that the BD rescue cd has got trouble mounting the linux partitions? I think this sounds contradictionary, since - as far as I know - the BD recue cd is based on Linux.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello :)

Please use the new Rescue CD from here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=36646

and let me know if everything is OK.

Take care.

• Thanks for your reaction. I will try the new Rescue CD soon and let you know in this thread.

• Here is my result. I downloaded the new BD Rescue CD and burnt it on a CD. I am still not able to boot this CD succesfully. To be more specific: I don't see any difference with the previous version I was using. See the posts above for my descripton.

I am willing to put more effort in this subject. But I don't have the knowledge to work this out.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Can you post here the configuration of those PCs?

I am interested in processor, motherboard, RAM memory and video card.

Also, please tell me if you have a RAID configuration.

If the desktop/laptop is branded, please post here the model.

Also, do you have one of our product installed on them? Would you like to try Bitdefender 2013 with Rescue Mode Free for 90 days?

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=31832

Take care.

• Dear Christian, Let me first thank you for trying to help me. I read on the AV-test site that BitDefender offers the best protection of all anti virus brands. That's why I want to try Bitdefender 2013 with Rescue Mode Free.

Then back to your question. First about my pc (without any RAID configuration, not branded) having trouble booting the BD Rescue cd:

Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

Motherboard : Giga-Byte EP43-DS3

RAM memory : Kingston 2048MB PC2-6400 DDR2-SDRAM Kingston (2x to get about 4GB RAM)

Video Chipset: nVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT (D9M-30)

My laptop is branded (DELL E6500) and is able to boot the BD Recue cd succesfully without any problems at all.

If you need more information, please let me know.

• I wanted to try the BD rescue mode and took a look at the website. On the youtube video (

) I got the impression that a dual boot menu is created in the boot configuration data, where it is possible to boot to vmware as an alternative OS that supports the BD rescue mode.

I am a little insecure about this idea due to my own boot menu. I have a triple boot menu configured with EasyBCD where I can choose from one of my two windows OS-es (main or test environment). As a third option I can switch to GRUB where I can pick Ubuntu as OS. I don't know how the BD rescue mode will affect my current boot menu. I don't want to ruin my boot options.

Although, I must say I like the idea to be able to use the rescue mode without using a seperate CD. Therefore I tried to boot the BD rescue CD as an ISO from the EasyBCD menu. But that fails, since when booting the BD rescue cd as an ISO, the system keeps looking for a cd that is not there. Unfortuanetely.

Maybe a combination is possible. But I don't know how at this moment.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Rescued Mode entry was designed to be the second option in the boot menu after Windows. The operating system will remain the default option.

It should not interfere with the menu created with EasyBCD.

Also, that entry is temporary, it will be cleared on the next reboot.

Note: for now, Rescue Mode doesn't have Raid drivers implemented, but we are working to implement them in a future update.

Take care.

• Is there still a chance that there will be a solution to boot the BD Rescue CD on my PC? Or should I forget this idea?

• rootkit
    Options

I requested on your behalf to update the Rescue CD/Mode to support RAID arrays.

Thank you for your patience!

• Thanks for your reaction and not forgetting me. I tried the latest version from this week, but I can still not fullfill a complete boot of the Bitdefender rescue cd on my pc.

Remember that I am not using a RAID array. I think the reason for my problem is still unknown. So it will be a lucky chance if a new version does boot on my pc. Remember that it is succesfull on my laptop.

Thanks for your attention.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

My colleagues are considering to change the current Linux Distro that is used for Rescue Mode/Rescue CD.

I will let you know when I have more data on this.

Take care.

• That could make a difference on my pc. Thank you for your information. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

As soon as I receive new information on this, I will post here.

Take care.

• Just a polite request to see if there is a change in the Linux Distro mentioned above.