Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

False Positives?

Options

Recently I did my first full system scan with BD V10. It picked up two apparent viruses in some really old stuff. The viruses are "Joke.Screenmates.G" and "Joke.Stressrelief.D".

The first one was in "Felix21.exe", the second in "unstress.exe". I've not used either of these bits of fun for years but they've been there and have never been identified as containing viruses.

I am highly suspicious of BD's 'detection', especially as the programs couldn't be disinfected.

Comments anyone?

The programs were "moved". Where to?

Comments

• The programs were moved to "quarantine", where the user can't acces them. BitDefender detected joke programs, not viruses. Normally, you don't have to wory for them, but it could be possible that those programs have other effects, like logical bombs etc.

• Niels
    Options

Jokes changes sometimes your screen resolution or have other effects. But they don't really harm your computer. It's correct what AndreiASM said.

• sheaven
    Options

Thank you both for that info. This does not impress me at all. To say that jokes "might" contain nasties is fine; the same can be said about any executable! That's why we have AV programs. I think I should be the one to decide whether or not I want to keep unharmful stuff.

• garyinri
    Options
    Thank you both for that info. This does not impress me at all. To say that jokes "might" contain nasties is fine; the same can be said about any executable! That's why we have AV programs. I think I should be the one to decide whether or not I want to keep unharmful stuff.

Ozziepaul,

If you feel that these files are no threat and want to restore the two that were quarantined, just click on Antivirus in the left-hand toolbar. Then click the Quarantine tab. You should see the quarantined files there. Highlight the ones you wish to retrieve and click on the Restore button. They will be put back to their original locations.

Odds are, however, that they will be quarantined again the next time you run a scan on those folders unless you change the manner in which you want BD to handle potential viruses in on-demand scanning. BitDefender still has no way to exclude specific files and/or folders from the on-demand scanning.

Gary

• sheaven
    Options

Thanks, Gary.

I can't be bothered playing ping pong with BD. I'll retrieve my stuff and write it to CD.

I find it rather amusing that BD quarantines two unharmful programs but forces me to turn off email scanning.

• Niels
    Options

Softwin (BitDefender) isn't the only antivirusvendor that reports jokes. Sometimes also called riskware.

To give an example of a nasty joke pskill. When that is executed windows will countdown and then shut down. Except if you open a word file so you can bypass it. So it's a good thing. But if you don't want that it's being detected in realtime you can do this open BitDefender go to antivirus,shield,adjusted level press on don't scan this path. Now add the location where both jokes are located. Press on ok. Now it will not be detected in realtime but it will be detected during an on demand scan.

That was gladly done.

Regards

Niels

• sheaven
    Options
    Softwin (BitDefender) isn't the only antivirusvendor that reports jokes. Sometimes also called riskware.

To give an example of a nasty joke pskill. When that is executed windows will countdown and then shut down. Except if you open a word file so you can bypass it. So it's a good thing.

Regards

Niels

Thanks for the workaround, Niels.

Maybe we have a terminology problem here. Are you telling me there is a category of malware called 'jokes' and that these might contain nasties which are not categorised as viruses but which are nuisances or worse? I still do not see why the same cannot be said about every executable.

• Niels
    Options

Hi ozziepaul

Yes I mean that there is a category of malware that is called jokes. The difference is they don't real do harm to a system. All other malware is written to cause damage on pc's. That's why other excutables are called viruses,trojan horses,spyware,.... Pskill is sometimes legit installed but in most chances it's installed to execute it from the victim pc. An antivirus can't argue if you installed it or not. Sorry for my English. Is it clear now?

That was gladly done.

Regards

Niels

• sheaven
    Options
    Hi ozziepaul

Yes I mean that there is a category of malware that is called jokes. The difference is they don't real do harm to a system. All other malware is written to cause damage on pc's. That's why other excutables are called viruses,trojan horses,spyware,.... Pskill is sometimes legit installed but in most chances it's installed to execute it from the victim pc. An antivirus can't argue if you installed it or not. Sorry for my English. Is it clear now?

That was gladly done.

Regards

Niels

Niels,

Sorry to take so long to respond. Thanks and yes it is sort of clear now.

Regards,

Paul

• Niels
    Options

Glad that I could help you.

Regards

Niels