Lost Local Network

I just installed BD on a two year old emachine running windowsXP. after the registration and startup, I found that I had internet access but had lost all access to the other computers on my local network. as soon as I uninstall it, the local network appears again. I also have BD installed on a Toshiba Tecra running X P PRo and am having no trpuble with it at all. BD worked for a few days on the third machine, another Toshiba laptop but this one runs Vista. I finally had to remove it to get the computer to run again. I think I have all the latest updates and am properly registered. can any body offer any suggestions?

thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• is there any way I can get some help with these problems? I have tried the support system offered by Bitdefender but they arent very responsive. like they have the money now and dont care about anything else.

thanks again; incase I get some help.

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited January 2008

Hello mooschi,

What version of BitDefender are you using?

Cris.

• 2008 antivirus only

• same problem, but BitDefender V10 on a PC and BitDefender 2008 in another PC......wating for an hint....

• Dear mooschi,

Try what I said in this topic

Best regards

Niels

• I am running windows X P PRo on a twoyear old E machine. I have installed BitDefender ANTIVIRUS 2008 only. when installed. the program will not allow me to access any of the onther elements on my LAN. the erroe message is that they have been disconnected and that the connection cannot be repaired.

I have the same BitDefender program installed on a Toshiba Laptop also running X P Pro and the LAN works normally. I have compared the settings on the twop machines and they are the same.

I installed the same bitdefender program on another Toshiba Laptop which is running Vista Home edition. it worked for a day or two but gradually the computer slowed down to the point it was not useable and I had to remove BitDefender to make the computer useable again.

the fix you recommended above did not apply to my problem since I do not have a BitDefender firewall.

I hope this explains the matter a little better. still no word from the tech support people on the subject either.

• Dear mooschi,

Try this open BitDefender press on settings once you are in the BitDefender Security Center go to the antivirus section click on custom and check don't scan network shares press on ok do this on your 2 laptops. To see if there aren't any problems with your network card please do this type devmgmt.msc into the windows vista search field press enter. Go to the section network adapters expand it and take a look at the status to see that double click on it and see if there are errors are reported. What firewall are you using on these laptops? That firewall could cause this issues also.

Best regards

Niels

• Neil:

1. the only foirewall I am using is the one provided by windows.

2. I have checked the box that says do not scan network shares

3. the network adapter status does not indicate that there have been any errors reported.

the problems I have described are still present

inorder to keep things up and running I have had to remove BitDefender from the Emachine desktop and from the Laptop running Vista. so far the other laptop hich runs X P PRO is doing O K.

any more suggestions??

• Dactivate windows Firewall...

Neil:

1. the only foirewall I am using is the one provided by windows.

2. I have checked the box that says do not scan network shares

3. the network adapter status does not indicate that there have been any errors reported.

the problems I have described are still present

inorder to keep things up and running I have had to remove BitDefender from the Emachine desktop and from the Laptop running Vista. so far the other laptop hich runs X P PRO is doing O K.

any more suggestions??

• Dactivate windows Firewall...

I tried de activating the windows firewall as you suggested...no difference. the thing that troubles me the most is that everything appears to be normal on my laptop which also runs X P PRO. I dont have to make any special arrangements or adjustments. it just works. not much luck trying to get any help from the tech support group on the matter either.

thanks for the suggestion

• I'm having a similar problem as the main poster.

I'm running an AMD x2 64 3ghz with XP. When I installed BD Total Security 2008 my sisters internet(Which runs through a shared connection on my computer) stopped working.

I went into settings and enabled the Internet Connection Sharing, I went into the options and set it up so that her computer was trusted through BD but her computer still couldn't connect to the internet.

After about two hours of me fooling around options in BD, and trying to create a new network, and changing the connections between our computers it still didn't work. So I uninstalled BD so she could use the internet while I looked for possible soultions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.