Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Free (no Cost)

Options
werby3
edited September 2012 in General

Hello all,

Just a thought:

If this software was free (no cost at all), after the first installation (viewing & testing),

would you keep it installed on your PC ???

Regards

Comments

• Hello all,

Just a thought:

If this software was free (no cost at all), after the first installation (viewing & testing),

would you keep it installed on your PC ???

Regards

Nope!! Even it's free for life, i still wouldn't keep it. There are so many AV out there and better than this crap called Bitdefender. They're not the only one. :)

• Hello all,

Just a thought:

If this software was free (no cost at all), after the first installation (viewing & testing) OR even more, after some time using it, would you keep it installed on your PC ???

Regards

• coolcool1227
    Options

Main concerns while keeping the Antivirus in future is Real Time Protection which the Bitdefender free Edition don't have, so in my opinion there is no benefit of such free edition as it is just a On-demand Scanner. Rather I would like to scan my system by Portable Antivirus Tool than a Antivirus without RTP even it is available as without cost.

Once I suggested to re-design Bitdefender Free Edition to a Portable Antivirus Tool which has more benefits but the suggestion was declined without any rational reason. The topic is here Bitdefender Free Edition Re-design As Portable Antivirus

• ozziebear
    Options
    Hello all,

Just a thought:

If this software was free (no cost at all), after the first installation (viewing & testing) OR even more, after some time using it, would you keep it installed on your PC ???

Regards

No, if this software was free, I would have uninstalled it shortly after I started using it. Only because I have paid for it, do I continue to try and sort out all the bugs.

• ...Only because I have paid for it, do I continue to try and sort out all the bugs.

Hello,

THX ozziebear. That's exactly what I mean by this question.

@ ONT I didn't mean BD Free Edition.

Supposed that BDAV or BDIS or BDTS were free and you didn't pay for these, would you still have it installed on your system or not?

Would you have been a "Veteran Poster" at this forum trying to suggest improvements or informing them about many many issues and bugs while they ignore you (us)???

Regards

• coolcool1227
    Options
    Hello,

@ ONT I didn't mean BD Free Edition.

Supposed that BDAV or BDIS or BDTS were free and you didn't pay for these, would you still have it installed on your system or not?

Would you have been a "Veteran Poster" at this forum trying to suggest improvements or informing them about many many issues and bugs while they ignore you (us)???

Regards

Hmmm....good imagination, so I classified the reply to your post in three points Antivirus selection, posting on the forum and reply from support.

The answer to 2nd point is that the posting on this forum to suggest improvements, giving feedback about bugs and issues, troubleshooting the computer related issues etc is my interest and I do this to gain knowledge.

About 3rd point you can see here on this forum that even there is a lack of support, but even then I am keep posting here although do some critique on the over-delayed support by the company but my interest can't stop me for posting on the forum(s).

And finally last of all for the 1st point, the Antivirus selection I compile some points below and will appreciate if someone adds or rectify them

1) Detection Rates.

2) Protection Technologies e.g. Signature Based, Generic and Pattern-based, Heuristics Detection, Behavioral Scanning, Intrusion Detection system, HIPS, Cloud-Based detection etc.

3) Protection Features/Modules e.g. Firewall, Anti-Spam, Anti-Banner, Anti-Phishing, Parental Control, Anti-Rootkit, Anti-Theft, Privacy Control, Sandbox Feature (Application and Browser), Secure Browsing, Rescue Mode/CD, Boot-time Scan, Command Line Scan, USB Blocking and Immunizing, Detailed Logging and ****** Execution (for removing some malwares, install patches), Social Network Protection, Personal Data Filter, Vulnerability Scan, etc.

4) Additional Features offered e.g. Tune-Up, Backup/Restore, File and Messenger Encryption, Game/Silent/Laptop Mode, File shredder etc.

5) Self Protection feature and ability to install, if the system is already infected badly.

6) Ability to remove malware traces and leftovers completely.

7) Able to restore/undo any unwanted changes/damages made by the malware in the system

8) Technical Support and Service.

9) Resource Utilization (Not resource hogging).

10) Small Installation Footprints i.e. occupies less space after installation.

11) False Positives Rates.

12) Cost of the product.

• werby3
    edited October 2012
    Options

Hello ONT

It is obvious that your interest (or hobby) is to test and learn about AVs but you have to realize that most of us we're just users that need these products not for studying and learning but for SAFETY and PRIVACY.

All these features you refers to, are what a user wants to have but the point is, are they working good? I think that there is one or more issues or bugs for each one feature that finally makes this product almost useless.

This situation exists every year, especially on every new version appearance (getting worse), since 2009 I first bought it.

I have more interesting thinks to do in my life than writing on this forum about issues and bugs for a product I pay for, getting answers like "FAD" or whatever and not fixing them cause it's easier for them.

Also I am not and I'm not going to be a debugger for them. I pay them and I expect for this product to be almost perfect.

Finally I want a program that helps me to make a decision and not to decide for me cause this is not "Silent Security" but another kind of "Security" that our Romanian friends faced very well a few years ago and for a long time!

Regards

• coolcool1227
    Options

You very right, every one has his own interests, BD2011 version was really great.

Every product have its own bugs not a single software of any type can be made perfect. Just sharing my experience with you that recently I uninstall an Antivirus of another vendor from my laptop, and after that my laptop keyboard and mouse were not working, in the end I've to re-install the Windows. However the main thing and the actual lacking here is the down-time of the products, means how long the Bitdefender Support will it take to fix the bugs with prompt correspondence and what we get response from support for our demands (feature request) not by saying FAD rather I would like to say what they reply as FAD to our suggestion as "Frustrated And Demand-less."

• werby3
    edited October 2012
    Options

Hello ONT

...BD2011 version was really great.

I totally agree with you.

Every product have its own bugs not a single software of any type can be made perfect.

That's why I wrote almost perfect

...I would like to say what they reply as FAD to our suggestion as "Frustrated And Demand-less."

Like I've written in another topic, for us (most users), all these are FAB (Function As Bul##hit).

P S : Christian, after closing "Christian....where are you" topic, disappeared again. That's why we love him. He makes our relationship (us with him) stronger. :wub: At least, untill the expiration date.

Regards

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello :)

First of all, that topic was not deleted, is on the second page here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=37902

Now, we offer free tools for everyone on our website:

http://www.bitdefender.com/freetools/

http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

And these products can be installed even if you use another security product on that machine.

If you want something to be changed or implemented in the product, please post here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showforum=324

Thank you for your feedback! Have a lovely weekend!

This discussion has been closed.