Bd Is 2013 Default Firewall Settings And Another Question

dower4720
edited October 2012 in Firewall

I had accidentally posted this in the BD 2012 Products>Firewall forum. Hope this post gets a response.

Just installed BD IS 2013, using Win 7 64bit. I was just browsing some of the settings and in the Firewall>Settings>Firewall Rules>General Rules I noticed that the default setting for Incoming Remote Desktop Connections was Allow. I'm not sure I want that set that way. Is it OK to set it to Deny? I don't use Remote Desktop Connections and wouldn't allow anyone to use it on my system unless I OKed it. I understand that if for some reason I had to allow a tech support person to be able to utilize a Remote Desktop Connection I would have to reset this.

Other question: I noticed that after installation under the same path and in Application Rules there is a rule for c:\users\my name\appdata\local\temp\rarsfx0\setupdownloader.exe. It has an Any Network, Any Protocol, and Action Allow setting. I checked the path and that item is no longer there (I have enabled viewing hidden files and folders). I assume that was a rule used by BD during the initial install and updating. Is that correct? If so, may I now delete that rule?

Comments

• I had accidentally posted this in the BD 2012 Products>Firewall forum. Hope this post gets a response.

Just installed BD IS 2013, using Win 7 64bit. I was just browsing some of the settings and in the Firewall>Settings>Firewall Rules>General Rules I noticed that the default setting for Incoming Remote Desktop Connections was Allow. I'm not sure I want that set that way. Is it OK to set it to Deny? I don't use Remote Desktop Connections and wouldn't allow anyone to use it on my system unless I OKed it. I understand that if for some reason I had to allow a tech support person to be able to utilize a Remote Desktop Connection I would have to reset this.

Other question: I noticed that after installation under the same path and in Application Rules there is a rule for c:\users\my name\appdata\local\temp\rarsfx0\setupdownloader.exe. It has an Any Network, Any Protocol, and Action Allow setting. I checked the path and that item is no longer there (I have enabled viewing hidden files and folders). I assume that was a rule used by BD during the initial install and updating. Is that correct? If so, may I now delete that rule?

1) If you set Deny to that rule, no one won't be able to control ur PC remotely even via Team Viewer although "Allow Remote Desktop Connection" from My Computer properties is checked.

2) That folder "rarsfx0" is created by Bitdefender online installer, and after installation it is deleted.

• werby3
    edited February 2013
    ...If you set Deny to that rule, no one won't be able to control ur PC remotely even via Team Viewer...
    Hello ONT,

Are you sure about that?

Here (on Win8 Pro & BD Win 8), TeamViewer is not prevented even if both BD (general)rule and Win Remote are set to "Deny".

Is it an issue or normal, cause TeamViewer has previously allowed in "Apps rules"?

Regards

• I tested this some months ago and will re-test now and let you know the results.

post-31288-1361419790_thumb.jpg

• Hi,

I think that "Incoming Rem..." BD rule refers only to "Windows Remote Desktop" app.

TeamViewer is not affected by this rule because it needs its own rule for running.

Regards

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hi,

By blocking "Incoming Remote Desktop Connections" from Bitdefender Firewall > General rules will only deny other computers' access over Windows remote desktop connections. All other similar applications (like Teamviewer, for that instance) will still work.

• Hi,

I think that "Incoming Rem..." BD rule refers only to "Windows Remote Desktop" app.

TeamViewer is not affected by this rule because it needs its own rule for running.

Regards

Yeah you are right, I verified what you said yesterday. Team Viewer can still work. May be I forgot what I tested. Sorry for that.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    edited March 2013

Hello,

I'm glad that everything is clear now.

I declare this topic closed. Have a nice weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.