Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

"trojan.mitglieder.q" Undetected By Bitdefender

Options

I'm not sure where I should post this, or it's even necessary for me to do so, but I can't see any harm in it, so here goes :P

I just finished re-installing Windows because I became infected with Trojan.Mitglieder.Q and was unable to salvage my system before it blue-screened. It was my own carelessness that led me to become infected, but the fact that BitDefender didn't prevent the infection is a little worrying, hence my post.

I got the trojan from a file I downloaded via eMule, labelled "Bread Machine Recipes 1.0.rar". I thought I was getting baking recipes (obviously haha). When I extracted the file, I saw that it was an .exe file. I shouldn't have double-clicked the little bugger, but I assumed BD would save me if any nasties were unleashed (I know, I know...). Instead, after several seconds, BitDefender disappeared from my system tray, and the rest is history.

BD and Spybot: Search & Destroy were mangled, and re-installing them did nothing. I noticed that there was a new process running in the Task Manager, called "wintems.exe". A quick search on Google pulled up many results relating to the Trojan.Mitglieder.Q file. Trying to end the task was impossible, and when I ran anti-spyware scans with Spyware Terminator and SUPERAntiSpyware the infection was detected, but the files couldn't be removed, even after a reboot. I was trying to get into safe-mode when the blue screen hit, and I could no longer access Windows.

My BD has its security measures on full alert all the time, especially the anti-virus. Everything was turned on, and it searches for updates automatically every hour, so I'm positive that I was up-to-date and as protected as possible. This is why I felt the need to post this.

I used the BitDefender Rescue CD, to no avail.

Here are the details of the malware from the Symantec website (I could find no mention of it on the BD Virus Encyclopaedia):

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/...-061215-3130-99

The reason I'm posting this is that for such a "low risk" infection to have crippled BD, and to have murdered my Windows installation, is worrying and I wanted to make sure the BD team knew about the threat.

This isn't a complaint about BD, I'm just trying to save others from my little crisis :)