Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Erratic Behaviour Towards Streaming Traffic

Options

Hello to everyone here in the Bitdefender Support Team in the forums.

I've been trialling Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 in all my 3 computers, my first license (Laptop one) will expire in 5 days (The rest of them, 10 days), and in that date, i intent to acquire a license thought my ADSL Provider for each of my 3 computers.

However, i'm facing a major issue with Bitdefender in my Main, work system. Please do note that my laptop and family computers are not affected by this issue.

The problem is, every time i open up an Youtube / Vimeo / Other Video Streaming Service video and close the window / browser, the video will keep loading till the very end of the Stream File (all video file is forced to be transfered) EVEN if my browser window / process is ALREADY CLOSED.

Now, i know this is happening because of Bitdefender because, if i Unnistall it the problem goes away. It can be some sort of conflict in my system, but i can't quite figure out whats going on.

The thing is, since i have very little internet here in my area (Tops at 2 Mbps (200KB/s), this bug is terrible because i can't use my internet at all, since all the bandwidth is being used to download the video file. I Tested, and, if i change the quality settings (from 360p from 480p), Bitdefender will start downloading both of them at the same time, rendering me unable to see the video without it constantly stopping, even if i close the tab and / or browser / plugin containers process the internet will still be download the video files. The issue gets worse if i open 2 ou 3 videos and change from 360p to 480p, because it will download all 3 videos 2 times, meaning, 6 videos trying to load at the same time that cannot be stooped! Because only now im aware of this problem, sometimes i had to wait over 1 Hour for Bitdefender to stop using the internet, so i could actually start working!

Just for your information, i tested unnistalling Adobe Flash Player and use HTML5, but the same issue happens. It also happens if i play a video on MSN, or use any other browser (I Tested Firefox (My main browser), Chrome and Internet Explorer 9).

Now, a bit more information that might help you catch the issue. I Don't know how Bitdefender manages to scan open processes but, according to Xfast Lan (a Program from my motherboard manufacturer), the issue is that, the browser (or MSN if i use MSN) process is still opened downloading the video file, even thought it's process doesn't show up in Windows Task manager, in the Process Tab.

Just in order not to waste any time, i already tested unnistalling Xfast Lan and even use my Wireless Card instead of my Ethernet link and the problem still remains as long as Bitdefender is installed.

It also does NOT happen if i boot my system in Safe Mode with Networking, since Bitdefender is not loaded into Safe mode, the issue does not happen there, giving me even more reasons to believe this is Bitdefenders Fault.

I would really like to have this problem solved before buying my licenses, since it will be a very big investment for me buying the 3 licenses. If i can't fix the issue in this system, i will still buy 2 licenses for my other 2 computers, since they seem to have no problems at all with the anti virus, and will have to spend some more time trying to find another software for this one.

Just in a side note, apart from this issue, Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 is just perfect. It's not as heavy as people say it is, my Laptop with a simple Intel Dual Core @ 2 Ghz is still super fast with Bitdefender Installed.

Just for comparison and possible for better issue solving, here are the specs of my System, along side with the other two machines (which are working normally, don't know if their specs are needed here but, more information can't hurt):

Main System (With the Problem) [Windows 7 SP1 x64]:

Intel i7 2600K

ASrock Z77 Extreme 7 latest Bios

8GB DDR3

1TB Raid0 (500x2) + 2TBx2 Non Raid

HD5870

My oldest computer (the family one) [Windows 7 SP1 x86]:

Intel Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz (skt 478)

Asus P4P800 Latest Bios

2GB DDR

500GB SATA

Nvidia 7600GS AGP

My Laptop Configuration: [Windows 8 PRO x64]

Intel Dual Core 2Ghz

Laptop Motherboard CLEVO

4GB DDR2

320 GB SATA

Nvidia 9300M GS

If you allow me to say this, i just wanted to say that i use my laptop to first test the various anti virus softwares since it's a very simple system (not quite as old as my family desktop but is a bit slower and more sensitive than that one when it comes to anti virus software and any workload can make it slow as a rock). Bitdefender was the only one along side with the free Microsoft Security Essentials out of the 5 anti virus I've been testing for the later months so far that didn't make the computer too slow to use without frustration / with hangs. The other ones i tested / trialled if you are interested in knowing where: Eset Smart Security 5, Avast Free and Kaspersky (this last one was just so slow, i only used it for a couple of days, the system would hang doing everything and anything with it).

Please note that i DID NOT test all this antivirus on my main System, the only ones i ever installed on this Main System (wich has the issue) was the free Microsoft Security Essentials (installed 6 months ago when i installed the system with the new motherboard), and 20 days till today Bitdefender Internet Security 2013.

Just a final Question: My ADSL Provider is selling Bitdefender Internet Security / Total 2012 licenses. If i buy from them, will i be able to use it on Bitdefender 2013, or do i have to downgrade my Anti Virus to the 2012 Version? I Read somewhere, and i was told by them that i can indeed use the license with Bitdefender 2013, but better be safe than sorry so, i'm asking this here too.

Sorry for the huge wall of text!

Thank you for your time, and i hope we can sort this issue out!

Sincerely,

Paulo Constança

Comments

• Hello, Paulo:

Sorry for not having an answer but I just wanted to say that I have the exact same problem, and as far as I know, a lot of people have this problem too and the numbers keep increasing as I write.

Today I started another thread with this very same issue, sorry for that but I didn't see yours before (or the other ones addressing this problem, that is), be sure to read it too just to check what I've tried without success.

I can understand how people with faster internet connections won't even notice their speed going down, but people like me, who use a 2 mb. connection are in serious trouble.

I really hope the Bitdefender support team take proper actions soon; other users have confirmed that changing your antivirus software is the best solution for now (Kapersky being the first option to consider).

It's a shame because I really like Bitdefender 2013, but if it's gonna eat all my bandwidth, then I'm switching to Kapersky on the next days, no doubt.

• alexx69
    Options

Hello everyone,

This is a known issue that is present for a long time.

Check these threads in order to determine if you are facing the same problems:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=39232

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=39436

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=40356

Regards.

• Georgia
    Options

The discussion will continue here -> http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=42438

This discussion has been closed.