Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Question For Ont Or Columbo

Options

Could either or both of you guys please explain to me any difference between the following two actions:

1. Download and install BD using offline installer. Update when finished.

2. Install BD using online installer. Decline request to install latest updates. Update when installation completes.

Comments

• Charyb
    Charyb ✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options

Please read here -> http://www.techoclock.com/web-installer-of...ler-differences

Unless you want to wait for ONT or Columbo to sign-in.

I prefer the offline installer for all the reasons mentioned in the article.

Charyb

• coolcool1227
    Options

Informative link provided. I'll add some more points

1) There is pause/resume ability available while downloading for offline setup e.g if any download manger is used.

2) There chances that if the the Internet connection get interrupted for a while, online installer may skip any file on that moment.

3) Depend on the software, if the system is infected already, online installer may not able to download properly or not able to download at all.

4) Some online installers perform downloading and installation at the same time which can be complicated or problematic sometimes.

At present only these points came into my mind. I'll think over it more and let you know if I discover more points.

The only advantage of the online installer is to get the product with latest version and updates but I always prefer offline installer for above mentioned reasons and the ones listed in the link provided by you.

• ozziebear
    Options
    Informative link provided. I'll add some more points

1) There is pause/resume ability available while downloading for offline setup e.g if any download manger is used.

2) There chances that if the the Internet connection get interrupted for a while, online installer may skip any file on that moment.

3) Depend on the software, if the system is infected already, online installer may not able to download properly or not able to download at all.

4) Some online installers perform downloading and installation at the same time which can be complicated or problematic sometimes.

At present only these points came into my mind. I'll think over it more and let you know if I discover more points.

The only advantage of the online installer is to get the product with latest version and updates but I always prefer offline installer for above mentioned reasons and the ones listed in the link provided by you.

Charyb...very informative link, thankyou

ONT..very thoughtful and intelligent reply as always.

Let me try and clarify my reason for asking. As far as online vs. offline, I was referring specificly to BD installation. For someone new to BD product,who is having installation issues, and is perhaps not as tech savvy as many of the posters on this forum (me for e.g), I think things could become quite confusing when chasing all these different links around. This is especially true when a new product is released. Since both installers (online and offline) must initially be downloaded from the internet, there is always a chance of file corruption. Could you not just download the online installer and when prompted to run or save, choose save. Now,in essence, what you have is an updated version of the standalone installer. Both versions require updating as soon as possible after installation to insure proper security. With the offline installer the update is huge (more chance for file corruption). I was only trying to simplify things a bit. Am I out to lunch on this one?

• columbo
    Options

Hi friends :)

Sorry I'm so late to this thread, but it's been a wild couple of days (months) at work :blink:

Good question, ozziebear :)

Since both installers will eventually download the same files size, through the installer, or the full download version, I do it (direct offline installer) for reason #2 that ONT posted. In that at least you will have a hint of any download issues as you can watch the download progress (which I do) and thus are are to see if any stalling, stuttering etc. is occurring during the download. As far as the online stub installer, it can be hard to tell what's going on, as it can sit there during the download phase of the install, as you have no download "manager" in which to reference (i.e. FF download progress bar).

Checking for updates after the install, is just a way (IMHO) of making sure the original file download has a greater chance of success of complete install, than adding more to the download/install mix. That is my reasoning for doing it, let alone that's what Christian does when there are install issues, so I'm also just following his lead too ;)

I will look to learn more from Charyb's, and ONT's posts this weekend, as I've pretty much just skimmed this during my lunch hour.

We really do have an excellent core group of members here :)

• Charyb
    Charyb ✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options

A couple more.

Offline installer improves reliability of the install. similar to ONT #2-4.

A main reason for me to use offline installer:

With an online installer, before installing an antivirus, you first must remove your existing antivirus program and then go online without protection for the time it takes to download, install, and activate the new antivirus.

• coolcool1227
    coolcool1227 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options

Another point is the time out for re-checking/re-trying the downloading file, if the Internet connection gets interrupted and the online installer retry to re-download it, which is usually less for On-line installers.

• coolcool1227
    Options
    Charyb...very informative link, thankyou

ONT..very thoughtful and intelligent reply as always.

Let me try and clarify my reason for asking. As far as online vs. offline, I was referring specificly to BD installation. For someone new to BD product,who is having installation issues, and is perhaps not as tech savvy as many of the posters on this forum (me for e.g), I think things could become quite confusing when chasing all these different links around. This is especially true when a new product is released. Since both installers (online and offline) must initially be downloaded from the internet, there is always a chance of file corruption. Could you not just download the online installer and when prompted to run or save, choose save. Now,in essence, what you have is an updated version of the standalone installer. Both versions require updating as soon as possible after installation to insure proper security. With the offline installer the update is huge (more chance for file corruption). I was only trying to simplify things a bit. Am I out to lunch on this one?

No, the main concern is to install the product without error by minimizing the error creating conditions e.g using offline installer. Once the product is installed successfully, it can be updated either from main interface or by weekly update file. And there are very less chances of error if we update the product after installation rather than to download the updated version using online installer, whatever the update size is huge or not. In a nutshell offline installer is more reliable and less problematic than online installer.

• coolcool1227
    Options
    Another point is the time out for re-checking/re-trying the downloading file, if the Internet connection gets interrupted and the online installer retry to re-download it, which is usually less for On-line installers.

Either the online installer skip that particular file or show the error and then you may have to redo the whole process again. Sometimes you may have to locate and delete the incomplete downloaded files manually.

• ozziebear
    Options
    Could either or both of you guys please explain to me any difference between the following two actions:

1. Download and install BD using offline installer. Update when finished.

2. Install BD using online installer. Decline request to install latest updates. Update when installation completes.

Gentlemen, excellent answers provided by all. Thank you for your consideration. I have to agree with werby3 that without you guys (and some others too) this English language forum would be pointless as tech support seems to have abandoned it completely.

• columbo
    Options
    No, the main concern is to install the product without error by minimizing the error creating conditions e.g using offline installer. Once the product is installed successfully, it can be updated either from main interface or by weekly update file. And there are very less chances of error if we update the product after installation rather than to download the updated version using online installer, whatever the update size is huge or not. In a nutshell offline installer is more reliable and less problematic than online installer.

Agreed, nice summation.

• columbo
    Options
    Gentlemen, excellent answers provided by all. Thank you for your consideration. I have to agree with werby3 that without you guys (and some others too) this English language forum would be pointless as tech support seems to have abandoned it completely.

And it looks like werby3, didn't get "voted off the island", as you mentioned in his thread. I was still chucking about that line yesterday. Thanks for that humor, ozziebear, and for posting this thread. I learned so much more myself :)

• ozziebear
    Options
    And it looks like werby3, didn't get "voted off the island", as you mentioned in his thread. I was still chucking about that line yesterday. Thanks for that humor, ozziebear, and for posting this thread. I learned so much more myself :)

Yes Columbo, we certainly have a very knowledgable crew around here. And what is life without a little humour. Thanks for your input.

• Hello guys,

I'm still here ;) . Ţuică for all...and for Ţuică(ed) support team too! :wub:

Cheers!!! :wacko:

• coolcool1227
    coolcool1227 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options

Summary

Online Installer

It’s an installer type which connects to the developer’s server using an available internet connection each time you run the setup.

AKA web setup, online setup, and web installer.

Offline Installer

It can be installed on your computer without an internet connection. e.g Google offline installer and Skype offline installer.

AKA offline setup, standalone setup and standalone installer.

Online Installer vs Offline Installer

Below are some differences

X= Online Installer

Y= Offline Installer

1.X: It requires an internet connection each time you run the setup.

1.Y: It doesn’t require an internet connection each time a setup is run.

2.X: It cannot be run without an internet connection.

2.Y: It can be run without an internet connection.

3.X: Installation is more time consuming as it downloads data each time its run.

3.Y: Installation consumes less time.

4.X: The entire product is downloaded.

4.Y: After installation, you can just download the updates.

5.X: You have to download the data again if you wish to install the product on many computers.

5.Y: The same setup can be used on several computers.

6.X: Alwaysan updated copy downloded each time.

6.Y: You have to download the updates separately.

7.X: It is small in size as most of the required data is downloaded once the setup is run.

7.Y: It is large in size.

8.X: Mostly used by applications those require internet access to function.

8.Y: Commonly used by software which can function without an internet connection?

9.X: Good for fast internet connections.

9.Y: Good for slow internet connections.

10.X: Good for single installations.

10.Y: Good for multiple installations.

11. There is pause/resume ability available while downloading for offline setup e.g if any download manger is used.

12. There chances that if the the Internet connection get interrupted for a while, online installer may skip any file on that moment.

13. Depend on the software, if the system is infected with viruses already, online installer may not able to download properly or not able to download at all.

14. Some online installers perform downloading and installation at the same time which can be complicated or problematic sometimes.

15. Another point is the time out for re-checking/re-trying the downloading file, if the Internet connection gets interrupted and the online installer retry to re-download it, which is usually less for On-line installers.Either the online installer skip that particular file or show the error and then you may have to redo the whole process again. Sometimes you may have to locate and delete the incomplete downloaded files manually.

16. You will have a hint of any download issues as you can watch the download progress (which I do) and thus are are to see if any stalling, stuttering etc. is occurring during the download. As far as the online stub installer, it can be hard to tell what's going on, as it can sit there during the download phase of the install, as you have no download "manager" in which to reference (i.e. FF download progress bar).

17. Checking for updates after the install, is just a way (IMHO) of making sure the original file download has a greater chance of success of complete install, than adding more to the download/install mix. That is my reasoning for doing it, let alone that's what Christian does when there are install issues, so I'm also just following his lead to

18. Offline installer is more reliable than Online installer.

• columbo
    Options
    Hello guys,

I'm still here ;) . Ţuică for all...and for Ţuică(ed) support team too! :wub:

Cheers!!! :wacko:

It's good to see you're still here, and posting some good replies...we need your expertise here on the forum :D

• columbo
    Options

@ ONT, as is "usual" with you, you go "above and beyond" in your helps, insights and questions asked, in which we all benefit. We are fortunate to have you here :)

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=171510

• coolcool1227
    Options
    @ ONT, as is "usual" with you, you go "above and beyond" in your helps, insights and questions asked, in which we all benefit. We are fortunate to have you here :)

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=171510

Thanks for the compliments. Its my pleasure if I can help anyone in resolving the issues.

• rootkit
    Options

Hello :)

I am glad ONT has explained the whole process.

Since this now resolved, I declare this topic closed.

Take care.

This discussion has been closed.