Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Firewall Not Showing Any Alert Is't Normal ?

Dears,

I did use bitdefender since long time and when any process or program need to connect to the internet it gives me an alarm with tow option either allow or deny, yesterday I did bought the new version 2013 but it didn't show any alarm when a program want to connect to the internet it just allow it,

Please can you describe this if it's normal or not,

Regards,

Comments

• Hi,

Go to Settings/Firewall and turn "Paranoid mode" ON.

Regards

• As a follow up issue, BD is on autopilot and blocking a VPN connection to my work (using IE9 on Win7 HP). If I turn the firewall off I can connect fine, but I can't work out what I need to do to allow this connection.

I thought by turning Paranoid on it would then ask me for an allow/deny option but it doesn't. I think this may mean that the deny rule was created during auto-pilot mode.

Is there a way to remove the rule ( I don't know which one it is) to force it to ask next time?

Thanks

• werby3
    edited February 2013

Hi,

I know nothing about VPN and I don't believe that it's a matter of created rule.

Perhaps this helps: Go to Settings/Firewall/Adapter rules, click on "Add Zone" button and type IP address of your VPN, check "Allow" then "OK" and try again.

Regards

• Hi

That's kinda what I thought I needed to do but I can't find the IP address. The only one showing is 127.0.0.1 which I know isn't right

All I can think of is to clear all the rules that DBD has set up and then reset them up one by one in Paranoid mode.

Unless there are any other ideas.

Regards,

• werby3
    edited February 2013

Hi,

VPN connection can be found in Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center/Change adapter settings (upper left).

Right click on VPN connection -> Properties and you'll see the IP address of PC you're trying to connect to.

Regards

• Hi,

Thanks. Got the IP address and added it to the adapters but it's still blocking the connection. I turned off the firewall, made the connection and used ipconfig to verify the IP address. It states:

DHCP Enables....................: No

Autoconfiguration Enabled...: Yes

IPv4 Address.....................: 2.0.3.81 (preferred)

DNS Servers.....................: 172.19.101.30 and 172.19.101.31

Primary WINS Server.........: 172.19.101.30

Secondary WINS Server.....: 172.19.101.31

NetBIOS over Tcpip............: Enabled

I've added all three IP addresses to both my Local Area Connection and Wireless Network Connection adapters

Am I just being really dumb here or is it meant to be this difficult. I'll end up having to reinstall the product, switch on paranoia and wait for the decision box.

Would appreciate any other advice you could give.

Thanks

• werby3
    edited February 2013

Unfortunately I cannot think of something more about it. You can ask for help on BD support Page (by chat). They should help you.

Regards

• Thanks, they seem to be offline at the moment so I've sent them an email. When I get a solution, I'll post it here

Cheers

• You're welcome.

Try again and insist by chat because via e-mail I think, after a typical answer you'll wait for a long time for a solution.

Have a nice day!

• Tried 3 or 4 times and goes straight to the email contact form

You have a good day as well and thanks for your assistance

• Share us the Firewall Settings and switch the Bitdefender to User Mode and turn ON Paranoid mode. Since the Bitdefender is a silent security product but these settings will make Bitdefender to produce some whispering (notifications etc).

• I have a support ticket open and they are looking at the problem. When I have a resultion I'll post the details

• So is configured firewall, for business clients.

uGbPpsp.png

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    edited March 2013

Hello,

@ goteeam:

The situation you describe is absolutely normal. Bitdefender 2012 and 2013 have been designed to be 'silent' security solutions, which quietly take all the security-related decisions by itself, without interruptions. This happens when the Autopilot mode is enabled.

If you want to receive notifications when Bitdefender blocks a connection, you can switch to User Mode (upper right corner of the Bitdefender program).

However, if you are an advanced PC user and you would like to be in control of every decision, you can turn on Paranoid Mode from Settings > Firewall > Advanced. Please be informed that having Paranoid Mode on, you are receiving lots of notifications from the Firewall module which doesn't necessarily mean that someone is trying to attack your PC.

@ Havoc :

Since the VPN uses a private point to point connection you do not need Bitdefender or any other application to filter the traffic. Please open Bitdefender 2013, go to the Firewall module, click on Manage Adapters and locate the VPN adapter. For this particular adapter please set Network type to: Trusted, Stealth mode to Off and Generic to Yes.

Please let me know if you have further questions. :)

• ...and locate the VPN adapter. For this particular adapter please set Network type to: Trusted...
    Hi Georgia,

What's the reason of existence of the other choices (Public, Home..etc.) on VPN adapter if don't work?

Is it a mistake or what?

Regards

• The support ticket remains open on this.

Normally I have a LAN and WiFi adapter in the list both set to Home/Office. In order to get the connection to my VPN to work I have to change LAN to Trusted and then log in. At this point the VPN adapter appears in the list. I then set this to Trusted, Stealth off and Generic Yes. Still everything's fine, but the moment I change the LAN adapter back to Home/Office the VPN connection is blocked even though it still appears in the list as Trusted.

I've also found my work's IP address and added it to all the adapters to ALLOW, still doesn't work.

Last communication from support asked me to run the "Connectivity Issues.exe" program which ran for about 5 minutes then crashed my PC (BSOD) It did create a report but I've no way of knowing how complete it was and I certainly wasn't going to rerun the program. Sent it through on 26th March and I've heard nothing since and getting pretty hacked off with it. Feels like they're simply going through a checklist instead of actually analysing the problem to find a solution.

The only way I can get it to work is to leave the LAN adapter as Trusted which effectively turns the f/w off, which is hardly ideal

• Over THREE weeks now and despite requests for a response, the silence from the BD Support team is deafening. It's clear that they have reached the limits of their technical expertise and have resorted to ignoring me.

Fortunately I no longer have need to connect to my work's VPN otherwise I'd be livid.

To make matter worse, I had another issue whereby the f/w and a/v both encountered "critical errors" and became disabled every time I opened Outlook. The associated error logs were all sent to BD, but guess what....I got no reply or even the courtesy of a response.

Realising I was on my own I discovered that by doing a repair install, the issue was apparently fixed, but what kind of security software allows itself to be disabled. Isn't that the whole reason for having it.

This supposedly award winning software appears to be nothing more than garbage-ware supported by people who don't give a monkey's about their customers and are unable to provide a level support beyond the absolute basic, and even that seems to be a struggle.

I've used many other security products, from many different vendors, using the one that appears to provide the current market-leading protection, but never have I come across a level of support (or lack of it) provided by BD. For information, Eset support for NOD32 was exemplary.

Awards or not, rest assured if BD is the only internet security product available when my license runs out, I still won't be renewing.

• ...Awards or not, rest assured if BD is the only internet security product available when my license runs out, I still won't be renewing...
    Hi Havoc,

Please, don't be so ungrateful. Their time is very limited because they're preparing for the new 2014 release which is almost the same with the 2013 one, having the same and some more issues...

As for support, we have to be very thankful to "Georgia" who gives all these wise advices (like above) and then disappears or responds (as I can see) to some posts have been sent on Aug 2012...asking if they need any further assistance...

Unfortunately (fortunately), we are not Romanian (in their forum, support is completely different).

Regards

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Please follow the steps from this topic to upgrade for free to The New Bitdefender:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=366&id=58

Post in this area of the forum in case you encounter further issues after the upgrade:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showforum=360

Thank you.

• Hi all,

THINK VERY CAREFULLY BEFORE INSTALLING THIS !!!

If you have the same issue as I did this "upgrade" DOES NOT fix it, despite assurances from the so-called support team. The first set of instructions contained the wrong link. You have to uninstall the current version before installing the new one and the wrong link meant I couldn't install the new version so was effectively left completely unprotected. I had to reinstall from my original disk and then found I only had 30 days subs because it said the licence was already registered. Eventually I was sent the correct link but what a shocking indictment of this dreadful company...they can't even send out the right instructions for their own product...muppets !!

This bunch of cowboys are a disgrace. They simply have no idea how to offer any level of customer service and heaven help you if you need technical support. I don't even believe they have a technical support team. The whole approach seems to be "fob them off until the next version"

The product may have won awards, but buying a security product is about so much more than just that, it's about how well a company supports you in times of trouble, and this shower have spectacularly failed in that regard. I think the fact that their latest reply on this topic is nearly four months after my last post tells you everything you need to know.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

This discussion has been closed.