Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Firewall Killing My Connection, Can Anyone Help?

Hi, can anyone offer any help at all.

I am based in the uk, i used to have good 30mb broadband with virgin media, i was using BD 2013 as well and all was fine, i have recently moved house and can only get internet down the phone line now which is rated at around 8mb and a different router for it all.

since day one i kept getting random disconnections, my internet would just turn off then go back on, then i would wake up in the mornings and my connection would just say limited connection in windows 8.

i have asked on the virgin media community forum for help and they asked for ping and tracert tests to be done which when i done them the tracerts showed request timed out all the time on bbc.co.uk and google.co.uk, without them asking i turned my firewall off in bd 2013 and my tracerts then all run perfect and do not say request timed out anymore.

i don't know if this is the reason for the issues with my connection but its starting to appear as though its not helping things.

is there anyway i can change any settings so that i can still use the firewall but my connection will be ok?

i have tried changing a few settings but nothing helped, only turning it off fully helped.

i would appreciate any help with this.

thanks

james

Comments

• Hi James :)

Have you tried, or is your Firewall set to these recommendations for PC internet connections? http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=33642

• Hi James :)

Have you tried, or is your Firewall set to these recommendations for PC internet connections? http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=33642

thank you for your post, i checked my settings and they were slightly different, stealth mode was set to remote and generic was set to no.

I have set them how it mentions in the link and rebooted, i still have the same issues though, infact i had to turn the firewall completely off to get back on this site, the page just kept showing as loading until i turned the firewall off, then it instantly loaded.

my tracert of bbc shows:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]

© 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\James>tracert bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [212.58.241.131]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.0.1

2 * * * Request timed out.

3 * * * Request timed out.

4 * * * Request timed out.

5 * * * Request timed out.

6 * * * Request timed out.

7 * * * Request timed out.

8 * * * Request timed out.

9 * * * Request timed out.

10 38 ms 40 ms 38 ms 212.58.241.131

Trace complete.

C:\Users\James>

Not sure what else i can try?

• anyone else got any ideas?

• can anyone else please help with this?

even with the recommended settings mentioned above my connection is still very poor and i still get the same tracert as above at bbc.co.uk.

sometimes webpages just seem to take forever to load or time out, but as soon as i switch the firewall to off they instantly open.

• i still don't know how to make my firewall so its not making my internet so slow, as i have said above it seems to be the firewall 100% as when i turn it off webpages just load straight away, i am using the recommended settings though.

how can i sort this without turning my firewall off fully?

• are there no staff who can offer any more help?

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello James,

We will assist you further via e-mail. Your ticket ID is 201303051017611

Thank you!

• Seems almost all your users are experiences slow internet when running your products. How about posting an ANSWER in the threads, so everyone can fix this issue?

• werby3
    edited March 2013

Hi gizbug,

Seems that most users don't experience slow internet.... How about open a TICKET for your issue, so they can fix it?

Slow internet caused by many different reasons and needs specific addressing.

Regards

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hi gizbug,

We answer directly in the threads only when the cause of the issue is the same for all users. And this is not the case. Because of the wide range of possible causes, we need to investigate a bit deeper and find an individual solution for each customer.

Are you dealing with browsing slowdown after installing Bitdefender 2013?

It sounds like you tried the Pinned topics on this sub forum, including this one? http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35496

Have you contacted us via email? I have checked the email address used for this forum account and I couldn't find a ticket in the system.

Please post back and let me know so I can assist you further.

Thank you! :)

• Are you by any chance running teamviewer or apple software? I just disabled my teamviewer and bitdefender went from the sawtooth 0-2 mbps to a steady 7.12 mbps (and disabling apple software allowed scans to actually happen... shouldn't have to kill other programs for AV to work... but whatever...)