Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Option Help In Settings

Options

Hi I have Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 and I am wondering 2 options ,what is the option "block port scans" and "internet connection sharing" should these 2 be checked off ,and what do they do?

I have internet connection sharing checked. I also have in firewall settings in manage adapters, generic set to yes. Thks

Comments

• werby3
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hi,

From BD "Help & Support":

Block port scans - detects and blocks attempts to find out which ports are open.

Port scans are frequently used by hackers to find out which ports are open on your computer. They might then break into your computer if they find a less secure or vulnerable port.

[ It should be ON ]

Internet Connection Sharing - enables support for Internet Connection Sharing.

NOTE: This option does not automatically enable Internet Connection Sharing on your system, but only allows this type of connection in case you enable it from your operating system.

[ It should be OFF (if ICS is disabled) ]

You may use "Windows Help" to learn about Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).

There is also a very useful "Help & Support" (bottom right on BD main window) and this page for your queries.

Regards

• Ok Thks werby3 that help page I have used before but does not always give you the results of your search.What about the generic thing in manage adapters should it be yes? Thks

• werby3
    edited March 2013
    Options
    ...does not always give you the results of your search...
    Unfortunately, you're right...

...from "Help & Support/Bitdefender Help -> Firewall" page:

"Generic - whether generic rules are applied to this connection.

If the IP address of a network adapter is changed, Bitdefender modifies the network type (Trusted, Home/Office, Public, Untrusted) accordingly. If you want to keep the same type, select Yes from the corresponding drop-down menu."

Regards

• THks I still don't know what is better yes or no in my case I mean ,Thks

• werby3
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hi,

I think, Yes, is the usual choice, but I'm not sure.

Generic rules, I think/guess, are hidden rules (e.g. Rule 25, 35, etc.) which some users have reported and asked about them but never had an answer.

Perhaps, this time, Georgia (or anyone else) is going to enlighten us.

Regards

• Thanks werby3, Georgia if you read this do you have any answers? Thks

• coolcool1227
    Options
    Ok Thks werby3 that help page I have used before but does not always give you the results of your search.What about the generic thing in manage adapters should it be yes? Thks

It depends on your skill level and also whether you are using the system on the same Network environment or different and IP Configuration (Manual or DHCP) etc. For Advanced User, set it NO, and for Novice User set it YES.

• bd22
    Options

I'm tring to get my head around the Generic option as well. As I understand it, if you are at home and you set the adapter type to Home/Office, and get Generic=Yes, then if your IP changes ie. you just sat down at a cafe, the Generic option means that Home/Office will remain set and you won't be prompted. I do intend to test this at some stage but maybe someone already knows.

If I'm right, that means at the cafe you are missing out on some protection that setting Public would provide. By setting Generic=No, when you get to the cafe (or friends house etc), your IP changes and you are then prompted to choose Public/Home etc.