Learning Mode For Firewall Possible?

EB1000
edited March 2013 in Firewall

Hi

I'm on total security 2013. Is there a way to configure the firewall into "learning mode". That means no program will be able to access the internet w/o my approval? This mode is implemented in other firewalls like Zonealarm.. I want the firewall to prompt me for every network access tempt made by third party software?

Thanks

Comments

• columbo
    columbo
    edited March 2013

Hi EB1000 :)

About the best you can do on that front, is to enable Paranoid mode in Firewall settings. Hopefully this give you more of the pop up, prompt information you're looking for.

Cheers :)

Scott

• EB1000
    edited March 2013
    Hi EB1000 :)

About the best you can do on that front, is to enable Paranoid mode in Firewall settings. Hopefully this give you more of the pop up, prompt information you're looking for.

Cheers :)

Scott

Thanks. It works, only it prompts me for any network attempt including the local host 127.0.0.1.. A little annoying.. Also I can allow or block w/o options to allow only once or add a rule.. If I hit block, will it block just once or permanently?

Thx

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello EB1000 and welcome!

Having Paranoid mode on, you are receiving lots of notifications from the Firewall module. For example - the pop-ups from your internet browser are telling you that this browser is accessing a server. Each time you are trying to access a webpage or download something using that web browser, this application will connect to a server and you will receive a pop-up that the application is connecting to an IP address.

If you want to find out more info about an IP address from the popups you are receiving you can try this website:

http://cqcounter.com/whois/

My recommendation is to keep Paranoid Mode on just a few days, until the program learns the applications you are using very often.

Then, if you don't want to be bothered by these pop-ups you can turn it off.

Remember that hitting Allow / Block creates a permanent rule for that connection. If you block a software by mistake you can edit or remove its rule from Settings > Firewall > Settings tab > Application rules. From Adapter rules you can take action on network addresses or IP range.

Please feel free to post back if you have other questions or concerns.

Thank you! :)