[escalated] Windows 8 - Action Center - No Connection

I noticed that using Bitdefender Windows 8 Security (firewall) blocks Action Center and this service can't connect to the internet (for example, to search resolutions for problems).

Windows 8 x64

Comments

• Confirmed on my end too, enabling and disabling firewall multiple times with the repeatable outcome. Same set up as Asparanoix, Windows 8 64-bit, running BD Windows 8 Security. Build# 16.26.0.1739

post-4566-1363824328_thumb.png

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello and thank you for your feedback.

To further investigate this case, please post here a support tool log:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If the file is too big to attach it, upload it on

http://www.sendspace.com

or

http://www.mediafire.com

and post the download link.

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the message above and just post the ticket ID.

Have a nice day!

• columbo
    columbo
    edited March 2013

Hi Georgia :)

I tried to see if the issue was resolved today after a PC restart, but it is still the same situation, so I've included the link for the support log: http://www.sendspace.com/file/19kswq

If you need anything else, let me know.

:)

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Thank you for taking the time to post the support tool log.

I forwarded the issue to our testing team. As soon as the fix is released I will post back here.

Have a great weekend!

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello again, :)

Could you please tell me if the issue persists after upgrading to 16.28.0.1789 ? The new build has been released for Bitdefender Windows 8 Security a few hours ago.

I look forward to hearing for you!

• Hi Georgia :)

The update did not seem to resolve it for me. I confirmed I have the newest build# 16.28.0.1789. I even did a restart just to be sure, but it is still as I posted in post# 2. I included a image with BD W8 Firewall on (works with it off), just so you know what I'm doing. If you need anything else, please let me know :)

post-4566-1364591795_thumb.png

• I have newest update. I did reboot. Nothing changed. Still doesn't work. :(

• columbo
    columbo
    edited March 2013

Thanks for confirming it on your end too, Asparanoix. So it's not just me still having this issue, that you started your thread with.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Thank you both for your cooperation. I will inform the testing team right away that the newest build 16.28.0.1789 does not bring any changes in this matter.

Thank you again!

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello again,

I will need an update on this matter.

Please let me know if Windows 8 Action Center can connect to internet after making the following settings:

- bring up the Bitdefender interface

- click on Settings > go to Firewall panel > Settings tab > General rules

- set all the rules from the new window to "Allow" > close > restart the machine

Looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you so much for your cooperation!

I tried your above suggestion, and the issuse still persists. I had even tried disabling them one at a time (w/o a restart), to no avail. I then set to allow all (those that were set to deny by default, see below), restarted my PC, and it didn't resolve it.

I suppose I could try to run a BD repair, or a Windows 8 repair, but I'm not to concerned about it. Since very few seem to have this issue, at least I know how to allow Windows outbound to find a solution from Action Center.

post-4566-1367159402_thumb.png post-4566-1367159415_thumb.png

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Thank you so much for the reply, Scott.

The information is now being forwarded to our testing team. We will keep the topic updated as additional feedback might be required on your part.

Have a beautiful week ahead!

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello again,

Next, we need 2 Wireshark logs:

- one where you managed to replicate the issue (having Bitdefender firewall ON)

- another wireshark log with Bitdefender Firewall OFF

Wireshark is available for download here:

http://www.wireshark.org/download.html

This is a tutorial on how to use the Wireshark software: http://wiresharkdownloads.riverbed.com/vid...n-to-wireshark/

(you are interested only in the first 2 minutes, there's no need to watch the part on how to analyze the logs)

When you have the 2 logs please upload them on Sendspace or Mediafire and post here the download links.

Thank you for your cooperation!

I just wanted to confirm what options to select. I checked both Microsoft options (do you want Realtek included?), and ran a capture for awhile. I stopped it after about 1867 packets were collected, as it seemed that it would keep going as long as I was online. Will it eventually collect all the packets needed, or is there another option you want me to use?

Thanks,

Scott

post-4566-1368241373_thumb.jpg

• ...but I'm not to concerned about it. Since very few seem to have this issue, ...

Very few are reporting the issue, but I would guarantee that most people are actually having the issue. Most people don't even bother checking the messages in the Action Center, even when it is indicating error conditions so a lack of reporting does not necessarily indicate the issue does not exist. The first time on-site to deal with end-user issues with their computer quickly reveals this.

The issue also appears under Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I had it myself. After I found several other issues such as the inability of VMWare guests being able to reach anything outside of the local network segment and with no apparent resolution coming after emailing about the issues, I uninstalled Bitdefender and went back to Norton. At least all of these things work they way they should again as well as what appears to be better resource usage during both active and idle times.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited May 2013
    Very few are reporting the issue, but I would guarantee that most people are actually having the issue. Most people don't even bother checking the messages in the Action Center, even when it is indicating error conditions so a lack of reporting does not necessarily indicate the issue does not exist. The first time on-site to deal with end-user issues with their computer quickly reveals this.

The issue also appears under Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I had it myself. -----------

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for confirming this on your end too, as I was beginning to think only Asparanoix and I have this issue.

Kind regards,

Scott

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello Scott,

Thanks for the fast response.

You need to check only the adapter used for traffic - the middle one.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

• columbo
    columbo
    edited May 2013

You're welcome Georgia, and thank you for letting me know what option you needed.

I'll get the requested links (Firewall On, and Off logs) to you in the next day or two.

Scott

I know it is against forum rules for Tech Support/Mods to help via PM, but since you're helping here, can I PM you the links for the Wireshark files, please. It's just that there is a lot of information in those files, and I'm not real hip to the idea of anyone seeing that information. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Scott

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hi Scott, absolutely.

You can send me the PM at anytime.

Looking forward to hearing from you! :)

• Thank you, Georgia, I appreciate that :)

PM of Sendspace Wireshark logs, sent.

If you need anything else ( re-submit them) let me know.

Scott

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    edited May 2013

Thank you so much for the fast response, Scott!

I've sent the logs to our testing team. I will keep the topic updated as soon as I receive their response.

Have a beautiful day ahead!