Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Adware.MyWebSearch.J

Options

When I do a Deep Scan it comes up with a virus called Adware.MyWebSearch.J . It will say it detected it then tell me repairing it failed and moving it failed. How do I get rid of it. All the other scans(full scan, memory scan. quick scan, & rootkit scan) don't detect it. Only the deep scan.

Comments

• vladx
    Options

What's the exact location of the infection?

• C:\System Volume Information\_restore{D91B9849-B140-44A4-94D4-A02DB92F2B57}\RP38\A0004347.EXE=>wise0013

• That is the System Restore folder, were Windows keeps restore points, in case you want to use System Restore. If you want to get ride of it, disable System Restore. (Open the System Properties window, System Restore and check the Turn off system restore on all drives checkbox, and then apply. Don't forget to re-enabled it, byunchecking the checkbox, then apply.)

• kninejim
    Options

AndreiASM is right. Windows seems to protect things in system restore from anything being done by AV programs other than finding viruses, so getting rid of the restore points is about the only way I know of getting rid of bugs in system restore. Not the end of the world, but do remember to turn it back on. Restore points do come in handy occasionally.

• Thanks AndreiASM. That worked. But what happened to the virus? When I shut the restore off and did a scan it come up with no viruses found. Then I turned the restore back on and did another scan and it still come up clean? Where did the virus go?

• Niels
    Options

Hi flyinghigh4

That is because the viruses has implemented in a restore point. When you disable system restore all you restore points are deleted so also the point with the virus. The reason why some malware add to restore points is to be automatically replace the previous deleted one.

Regards

Niels

• The System Restore folder keeps restore points. That means that when you delete a file or uninstall o program, Windows makes a backup of these files in that folder. When you want to use System Restore, Windows copies the backup files in there place. When you deactivate System Restore, Windows deletes all the restore points, meaning that you can't use System Restore, until another restore point is made.