Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Spooler Subsystem App Stopped Working

Options

I have a Dell XPS running Vista that is networked to another Dell running XP SP2 which has my three printers. All printers are set to shared so I can priont from the XPS (Vista).

I am getting frequent occurances on the Vista box of the followng message:

"Spooler subsystem app stopped working and was closed"

I have attempted to manually start the spooller service but it stays up for about 10 seconds then dies again. Apparently this is a huge problem as I am seeing all sorts of forums tackle it, all except Microsoft. I haven't seen any fixes for my specific problem, however. One entry I found suggested deleting the .sph and .spl files from the spool folder under /Windows/System32... don't have any of these.

Another Google hit was from secirtystronghold.com who claims it's an infected spoolsv.exe file. Of course, they have a tool you can buy that will fix it, called "TrueSword". As I have already purchased BitDefender, I am reluctant to buy this.

My question is: is this problem because of a virus? If so, does BitDefender have a fix? (I searched the website for keywords and found nothing.) Thanks,

dan :mellow:

Comments

• Niels
    Options

Dear DPB,

The site you mention isn't a trustfull website. There is an infection but that process is called spoolvs.exe. But you mentionned spoolsv.eve which is a legit one. If only present in the system 32 folder. This problem looks more on a faulty install of the software of your printer. Try this remove the printer drivers from that computer reboot your pc. Search for the latest drivers and install them. If you can't remove your drivers the normal way please take a look here.

Best regards

Niels