Need Some Info

ozziebear
ozziebear ✭✭✭

I'm assuming that the info stored in the BD wallet is encrypted and stored on a BD server somewhere. So I'm also assuming that if I repair or reinstall BD, that info will still be available to me. Also, if one day I leave BD for a different product, what becomes of all that stored information?

Comments

• camarie
    camarie Principal Software Developer BD Staff
    I'm assuming that the info stored in the BD wallet is encrypted and stored on a BD server somewhere. So I'm also assuming that if I repair or reinstall BD, that info will still be available to me. Also, if one day I leave BD for a different product, what becomes of all that stored information?

The wallet database is not stored on BD servers. I am not 1000% sure if you repair/reinstall the DB remains, but it should (I worked on wallet until 2 months ago but I am not up to date). AFAIK the db remains and it is found on the next time. Making a backup of the database is even better since it adds an extra safety measure to data loss anyways.

If you uninstall BD for whatever reason, I'm afraid that at this time the database won't be imported in other product. I don't know if any of the wallet products can be imported in another, since everyone keeps data encrypted in their format and BD is no exception. Also, the encryption algorithm used by Wallet is an enhanced one (since the only way of data recovery is to know the password).

Assuming you can say one day "I uninstall BD" or "I want to use a more sophisticated wallet", how would you export data? Any procedure of this type would have to map its own data fields over the target data fields - think you want to export an Excel spreadsheet over another one, but with columns defined completely different (and that's a soft case).

Data can be exported in a convenient format such as CSV, XML, HTML or so - that would satisfy your needs? Or do you have something else in mind?

Regards,

Cristian

• ozziebear
    ozziebear ✭✭✭
    The wallet database is not stored on BD servers. I am not 1000% sure if you repair/reinstall the DB remains, but it should (I worked on wallet until 2 months ago but I am not up to date). AFAIK the db remains and it is found on the next time. Making a backup of the database is even better since it adds an extra safety measure to data loss anyways.

If you uninstall BD for whatever reason, I'm afraid that at this time the database won't be imported in other product. I don't know if any of the wallet products can be imported in another, since everyone keeps data encrypted in their format and BD is no exception. Also, the encryption algorithm used by Wallet is an enhanced one (since the only way of data recovery is to know the password).

Assuming you can say one day "I uninstall BD" or "I want to use a more sophisticated wallet", how would you export data? Any procedure of this type would have to map its own data fields over the target data fields - think you want to export an Excel spreadsheet over another one, but with columns defined completely different (and that's a soft case).

Data can be exported in a convenient format such as CSV, XML, HTML or so - that would satisfy your needs? Or do you have something else in mind?

Regards,

Cristian

Hi Christian...First of all, I thank you for your prompt and always honest response. If wallet information is not stored on BD servers, then where is it stored? And second, I think I didn't explain myself properly. I did not mean that I want to export the wallet info from BD to another security product. I just wondered what happens to my info once I leave BD.

• cohbraz
    cohbraz
    edited July 2013
    Hi Christian...First of all, I thank you for your prompt and always honest response. If wallet information is not stored on BD servers, then where is it stored? And second, I think I didn't explain myself properly. I did not mean that I want to export the wallet info from BD to another security product. I just wondered what happens to my info once I leave BD.

When you uninstall Bitdefender, you are given the option to keep the data for future use or to delete it.

• ozziebear
    ozziebear ✭✭✭
    When you uninstall Bitdefender, you are given the option to keep the data for future use or to delete it.

Thanks for that.

• Thanks for that.

Glad I could help!

• camarie
    camarie Principal Software Developer BD Staff

The wallet database is stored in all users profile.

On Windows 7 there would be something like

C:\ProgramData\Bitdefender\PasswordManager\S-1-...

(S-1-... would be the user ID).

Inside this directory there are 2 files: pwdman.xml, which contains all the wallet databases (the one with current="true" being the actual database) and the pwdman.db (pwdman0.db, pwdman1.db etc. if there are multiple files).

If you leave DB (for example by uninstalling), then the pwdman.db remains as is on disk. You will need, however, to reinstall BD to access data.

Cristian

• ozziebear
    ozziebear ✭✭✭
    The wallet database is stored in all users profile.

On Windows 7 there would be something like

C:\ProgramData\Bitdefender\PasswordManager\S-1-...

(S-1-... would be the user ID).

Inside this directory there are 2 files: pwdman.xml, which contains all the wallet databases (the one with current="true" being the actual database) and the pwdman.db (pwdman0.db, pwdman1.db etc. if there are multiple files).

If you leave DB (for example by uninstalling), then the pwdman.db remains as is on disk. You will need, however, to reinstall BD to access data.

Cristian

OK thanks Christian

• I'm glad Christian was able to answer your questions about the Wallet database.

Please feel free to open a new thread if you have further questions or concerns about the new Bitdefender features.

Have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.