Windows 8 Security Compared To Others Bitdefender Products

Hi!

Now that Bitdefender launched Windows 8 Security, I'm a little bit confused about this new product in comparison with others Bitdefender products.

Before Windows 8 Security, the Home Users line of products was composed by:

Total Security

Internet Security

Antivirus Security

And now the Windows 8 Security was added to the top of this list.

According to my understanding, the main difference between Windows 8 Security and the other products is the use of ELAM technology. So, in my understanding, it means it offers a better protection for people that use Windows 8.

So, what people that own a Antivirus, Internet or Total Security key could expect about the next Bitdefender products?

Are Antivirus, Internet and Total Security packages going to make use of ELAM technology?

Or will it be included only in the specific Windows 8 Security product?

I do not understand why Bitdefender launched a product that is specific for Windows 8. What will happen when MS launch Windows 9, 10, 11? What can we expect? Sincerely, It does not make sense (at least, not with the information we have at the moment).

So, what I'm asking is about the Bitdefender Products Roadmap. What's the direction for the Antivirus, Internet And Total Security products?

What's the direction for the Windows 8 Security products?

Are they going to be merged? Are they going to remain separatedly?

PS:

Another information that I have read on another topic (http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=40804) is that Internet Security keys are interchangeable with Windows 8 Security keys. I just do not understand why Total Security keys (that costs more and includes all Internet Security features plus extra features) cannot be used to registrate Windows 8 Security. It is strange, because if I had bought an Internet Security key, I would have paid less money and It would make me able to use it as a Windows 8 Security. But instead of it, I bought a more expensive product (expecting more) and now I will not able to upgrade for Windows 8 Security. Again... it does not make sense.

As a suggestion, maybe you could launch a new Windows 8 Security package, compatible with Total Security 2013 (and maybe another compatible with the Antivirus Security 2013). So everybody that already has a 2013 Bitdefender key could take use of ELAM technology over Windows 8.

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi!

Now that Bitdefender launched Windows 8 Security, I'm a little bit confused about this new product in comparison with others Bitdefender products.

Before Windows 8 Security, the Home Users line of products was composed by:

Total Security

Internet Security

Antivirus Security

And now the Windows 8 Security was added to the top of this list.

According to my understanding, the main difference between Windows 8 Security and the other products is the use of ELAM technology. So, in my understanding, it means it offers a better protection for people that use Windows 8.

So, what people that own a Antivirus, Internet or Total Security key could expect about the next Bitdefender products?

Are Antivirus, Internet and Total Security packages going to make use of ELAM technology?

Or will it be included only in the specific Windows 8 Security product?

I do not understand why Bitdefender launched a product that is specific for Windows 8. What will happen when MS launch Windows 9, 10, 11? What can we expect? Sincerely, It does not make sense (at least, not with the information we have at the moment).

So, what I'm asking is about the Bitdefender Products Roadmap. What's the direction for the Antivirus, Internet And Total Security products?

What's the direction for the Windows 8 Security products?

Are they going to be merged? Are they going to remain separatedly?

PS:

Another information that I have read on another topic (http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=40804) is that Internet Security keys are interchangeable with Windows 8 Security keys. I just do not understand why Total Security keys (that costs more and includes all Internet Security features plus extra features) cannot be used to registrate Windows 8 Security. It is strange, because if I had bought an Internet Security key, I would have paid less money and It would make me able to use it as a Windows 8 Security. But instead of it, I bought a more expensive product (expecting more) and now I will not able to upgrade for Windows 8 Security. Again... it does not make sense.

As a suggestion, maybe you could launch a new Windows 8 Security package, compatible with Total Security 2013 (and maybe another compatible with the Antivirus Security 2013). So everybody that already has a 2013 Bitdefender key could take use of ELAM technology over Windows 8.

Thanks!

This is my understanding. BD W8 Security is optimized for W8. The other products are not optimized for W8. I think the optimization goes beyond ELAM compatibility since W8 was designed and coded from the ground up sort of to speak. Not like W7 which is basically the RTM version of Vista was is really Windows 7 Beta. One area in addtion to the addition of MUI in W8 is the W8 Registry. Very different and a lot more compact than the W7 Registry. I am sure there are many other coding differences. Hence BD W8 Secuirty was designed specially to be optimized with all these coding changes that are different in W8 compared to W7 The other programs are not optimized for W8.

That is my understanding but there is no guarantee I am correct. A second opinion is advised.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    edited July 2013

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in our security solutions.

We've already extended the ELAM technology to our classic line products. However, the driver is available only in Windows 8 - in Bitdefender 2013 products and The New Bitdefender classic line:

C:\windows\system32\drivers\bdelam.sys

As we wish to keep Bitdefender Windows 8 Security a standalone product, we will implement all future product improvements/modifications through auto-update.

The reason why the Bitdefender Windows 8 Security license keys can also be used to register Bitdefender Internet Security is because the first one was built starting from the Bitdefender Internet Security basic architecture.

Please let us know if you have other questions or concerns, thank you!

• Thanks for your reply, Georgia and Nesivos!

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

We were glad to help, hitchhiker. :)

This discussion has been closed.