Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Safepay Vpn - All Traffic Encrypted Or Just Safepay? Tx

Options

Does the VPN established by Safepay encrypt all internet traffic from your PC, or only the traffic through Safepay browser? Thank you.

Comments

• camarie
    camarie Principal Software Developer BD Staff
    Options
    Does the VPN established by Safepay encrypt all internet traffic from your PC, or only the traffic through Safepay browser? Thank you.

It's only Safepay that is protected. The flow is this:

- Safepay detects an unprotected wifi connected

- this triggers the VPN connection dial (if the account is premium; if is a free account, it won't dial since this is a premium feature)

- a HTTPS conversation with our server occurs to determine to which VPN server to connect (with the local email account and using a variable password generated from server)

- VPN is dialed and Safepay waits for connection

- if VPN is connected successfully, Safepay sets its proxy server to one of our internal servers (is bypassing the defined proxy you might have set since now the traffic will go thru VPN), and this proxy will redirect to the VPN.

Safepay > VPN proxy > VPN machine > outside world.

Other connections will go as they are set up normally.

So the answer to your question is no; only the HTTP/HTTPS traffic of Safepay.

Regards,

Cristian

• Cavehomme
    edited October 2013
    Options
    It's only Safepay that is protected. The flow is this:

- Safepay detects an unprotected wifi connected

- this triggers the VPN connection dial (if the account is premium; if is a free account, it won't dial since this is a premium feature)

- a HTTPS conversation with our server occurs to determine to which VPN server to connect (with the local email account and using a variable password generated from server)

- VPN is dialed and Safepay waits for connection

- if VPN is connected successfully, Safepay sets its proxy server to one of our internal servers (is bypassing the defined proxy you might have set since now the traffic will go thru VPN), and this proxy will redirect to the VPN.

Safepay > VPN proxy > VPN machine > outside world.

Other connections will go as they are set up normally.

So the answer to your question is no; only the HTTP/HTTPS traffic of Safepay.

Regards,

Cristian

Cristian,

Your explanation of Safepay process is very clear but one other aspect of SP is not at all clear. If Safepay downloaded as part of the paid Antivirus Plus product is considered as Safepay free or premium? I assume it is premium but I would like to know 100% sure because somethings are not transparent in the Bitdefender interfaces compared with other AV products that I have used.

I was also not sure that Safepay had been included in Antivirus Plus because it is not in the main control panel of the software, I accidentally discovered it under All Programs / Bitdefender in my Start Menu.

Thank you.

• camarie
    camarie Principal Software Developer BD Staff
    Options
    Cristian,

Your explanation of Safepay process is very clear but one other aspect of SP is not at all clear. If Safepay downloaded as part of the paid Antivirus Plus product is considered as Safepay free or premium? I assume it is premium but I would like to know 100% sure because somethings are not transparent in the Bitdefender interfaces compared with other AV products that I have used.

I was also not sure that Safepay had been included in Antivirus Plus because it is not in the main control panel of the software, I accidentally discovered it under All Programs / Bitdefender in my Start Menu.

Thank you.

Safepay in antivirus plus is considered like premium AFAIK, since it allows connection to VPN using the credentials used for registering AV.

(Someone should correct me if I am wrong since I did not tested this scenario for quite some time).

The fact that you do not see it in the main control panel have two reasons:

- Safepay is self contained, and the necessity of configuration could be reduced initially to "use it" or "don't use it", which would have been redundant with the notification alerts anyways

- the settings of Safepay are more particular (being specific to Safepay itself: use Flash/Java, manage domains to use with - in AV version).

Cristian