Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Open And Not Stealthed Port In New Bd Is -- Wtf?

Options
busterbuddy
edited August 2013 in Firewall

Hi:-)

Last week I posted about the Firewall in the New Bitdefender. Before I wrote that post I tested the firewall with Gibson Research's Shields Up. I did both the Common Ports and the All Ports Tests. The tests reported that ALL my ports were stealthed and I noted this in my post.

Today I did the test again and got very different results -- First my port Port 554 (Real Time Stream Control Protocol) is Not stealthed and it is not blocked -- IT IS OPEN

Secondly, only 5 of my ports are now stealthed and all the others (except 554) are closed.

I get thee same results with the Normal and Aggressive advanced settings

All of this is of concern to me.

I intend to do a clean reinstall and if I get the same results I will uninstall the program until I get some explanation or reassurances about my open port 554. I have been using Shields Up to test my then current firewall for at least a decade and have NEVER before seen an open and not stealthed port.

Comments

• busterbuddy
    edited August 2013
    Options

Interesting......With BD Windows 8 Security Port 554 is stealthed. With The New BD IS Port 554 was not stealthed and open.

• antikythera
    Options

Port 554 is used by Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service.

• Port 554 is used by Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service.

If its open to Sheilds Up can it be used as some kind of back door to be exploited by a hacker or malware . If it's open to Sheilds Up it seems it's open to anyone who scans for open ports. Could a hacker use it to plant some type of malware in Windows Media Player that could be dropped somewhere else on your system when you use WMP??

Is it a bug in the New BD IS Firewall that leaves it unstealthed while BD Windows 8 Security stealths that port.

I am using Windows 8.

• antikythera
    edited August 2013
    Options

To be fair, I've seen an identical thread opened in the last couple of days on the Kaspersky forum for the same situation with Internet Security.

Basically the responses in the linked thread given as a response ranged from:

1. don't worry the test is out-dated and no longer reliable

2. make sure it is your computer being tested and not your router (check the IP using ipconfig /all command at command prompt)

3. check what program is using that port and any windows services which could have opened it plus the two I give below.

I tried it on my W8 Pro x64 with Media Center machine as well with both BDIS 17.15.0.682 and BDIS 17.16.0.729 and the test returned all stealthed ports today but significantly I am also behind a router hardware firewall. I can't disable it because other members of the family are connected. Since grc can't open or see any ports I know that hardware firewall didn't let it through and Bitdefender is working for me as it should without conflicting. Conflicts can lead to opened or visible ports too sometimes.

In BD I have the following settings:

Network type: Home/Office

Stealth: Remote (try changing to ON and see it that changes anything for your results)

Couple of things to look at which may also help your security setup. Make sure windows firewall is turned off so it doesn't conflict with Bitdefender. One other thing you could do if you connect via a router, check if it has a hardware firewall enabled and how it is configured (refer to router manual for setup guidance).

• To be fair, I've seen an identical thread opened in the last couple of days on the Kaspersky forum for the same situation with Internet Security.

Basically the responses in the linked thread given as a response ranged from:

1. don't worry the test is out-dated and no longer reliable

2. make sure it is your computer being tested and not your router (check the IP using ipconfig /all command at command prompt)

3. check what program is using that port and any windows services which could have opened it plus the two I give below.

I tried it on my W8 Pro x64 with Media Center machine as well with both BDIS 17.15.0.682 and BDIS 17.16.0.729 and the test returned all stealthed ports today but significantly I am also behind a router hardware firewall. I can't disable it because other members of the family are connected. Since grc can't open or see any ports I know that hardware firewall didn't let it through and Bitdefender is working for me as it should without conflicting. Conflicts can lead to opened or visible ports too sometimes.

In BD I have the following settings:

Network type: Home/Office

Stealth: Remote (try changing to ON and see it that changes anything for your results)

Couple of things to look at which may also help your security setup. Make sure windows firewall is turned off so it doesn't conflict with Bitdefender. One other thing you could do if you connect via a router, check if it has a hardware firewall enabled and how it is configured (refer to router manual for setup guidance).

Thank You for your advice :-)

• busterbuddy
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Thank You for your advice :-)

Now every port is stealthed with the New BD IS. Was there an update or is this some kind of adaptive behavior? Whatever it is I feel a lot better about the new BD IS now :-)

I did disable Windows Media Player from my start-up but that does not explain why EVERY port is now stealthed which they haven't been -- most were just closed and not stealthed.