Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Problem: Windows 7 Not Genuine Anymore

Options

The Story

About 8-10 months ago, my laptop (running Windows Vista) would not boot up properly. My roommate installed Windows 7 on it using a disc he had bought from a guy who said it was legit (still getting more info about this from my roommate now), along with Microsoft Office 2010. I never encountered a problem with my computer since the Vista problem (at least, I don't remember having one), neither has my roommate had a problem with his Windows version.

About a week ago, I installed BitDefender Total Security 2013. There weren't any problems.

The Problem

A few nights ago, I defragged my computer with Auslogics Disc Defrag before shutting it down. When I turned it on the next day, my screen turned black and I had a moveable cursor. I saw the Microsoft 4-color logo, but after that it went to that black screen (I didn't see the blue Welcome screen before it typically goes to the log-in screen). I read a few forums and troubleshooted it (changed the 'Processor Power Management' minimum to 15% for my Balanced power setting). When I restarted my computer, that worked immediately after I set that, then I turned it off.

The next day I turned it back on and got the same problem. I found that if I disconnected the battery (but kept the A/C in), it would sometimes start up fine (the start up time took much longer than before though, other times it went straight to the black screen).

Windows no longer genuine

After that, I restarted it using the last successful start up (found when you hold F8 before Windows starts loading), and after using it for a while installed a bunch of Windows updates (hadn't done this for the past 2 months because I was on vacation elsewhere) through BitDefender's Tune-up module, and shut it down. The next day, when I turned it on, I got through to my regular desktop screen, but received notifications of Windows no longer being genuine.

I uninstalled BD in Safe Mode and still found the same problem.

After that, I did a system restore to a date before installing BitDefender, thinking that would take away the Windows problem. However, Windows notifies me that it is still not genuine.

I would appreciate any help.

My Computer's Specs:

• Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130318-1533)
  • Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
  • System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
  • System Model: Satellite A305
  • BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 1.60
  • Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
  • Memory: 3072MB RAM
  • Available OS Memory: 2940MB RAM