Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Upgrade From 2013 To 2014 Failure

Options

Hi,

I've searched the board for similar topics, and although I've found a few who had some issues while migrating from 2013 to 2014, I didn't find anything similar to the problem I'm facing now.

I have BD Internet Security 2013 installed on a Win7 64Bit machine. It works almost perfectly, except the Search Advisor that never worked. And was never fixed by the BD techsupport.

Anyway, I wanted to check out the 2014 version first, hoping that SearchAdvisor bug would be fixed and working. But oddly enough, you cannot upgrade BD, you have to remove previous version, prior to INSTALLING the new one. Which is really silly, to say the least.

Anyhow I went to the download page, downloaded the 2014 installation file, and once launched, it detected the 2013 was installed. And telling me I have to remove it first. Which I did, using the BD uninstall tool. A restart is required and EVERY time I restart, my proxy software is totally messed up, and the 2014 installation stops with an error message saying there is a conflict with F-Secure. Even though I've removed F-Secure long ago. My first wonder is how come I have no conflict warning when installing the 2013 version? (to which I've rolled back until I can get 2014 installed). And why installing 2014 messed up my proxy software??

Any input would be welcome at this point, as I'm having only 9 days left before license expires, and if I can't get BD 2014 installed by then, I'll have to use an other security solution.

I must say I have contacted the LiveChat techsupport regarding this matter, but all they'd come up with was "do you have another security software?" which of course, doesn't make sense, because if I had one, I wouldn't have been able to install and run BD 2013 in the first place.

Thanks,

John

Comments

• antikythera
    Options

Hello, please run the following three tools in windows safe mode:

ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/support/tools/uito...llationTool.exe

http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge...installTool.exe

http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge...nstall_Tool.exe

Then restart windows and try re-installing the proxy software. Then either reinstall The New Bitdefender again or stick with the 2013 build which should still block access to malicious content even if the search adviser cannot show the little symbols on your search pages.

Either way, once you have cleaned off Bitdefender and got the proxy software working it would be prudent to back up before proceeding any further.

• mrfreezzzz
    Options

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. I feel now I'd have given more details, as I have checked the F-Secure knowledge base and used their uninstall tool, thinking it'd find out any leftovers but in fact, it didn't and didn't even run any un-installation process as it found NO traces of F-Secure whatsoever. Hence again my wonder: why BD2014 does detect some, when BD2013 does not? I know for a fact that one cannot run 2 AV solutions on the same machine, and if there were any running F-secure process, I wouldn't have been able to install BD2013. Let alone run it.

As to the others links, I have used the provided BD uninstall tool. With no results nor success.

And as to the Search Advisor, it is working (or patched) in the 2014 version, I've checked it on another x64 machine. I don't think that sticking to an old (and soon outdated) version, with some malfunctioning features, is a good idea. Because we're paying full price. We're entitled to a fully working product, up to date.

• columbo
    Options

Just out of curiosity, enable hidden folders, and check C:/ Program Data, and see if there is a leftover F-Secure Quarantine folder there.

• Georgia
    Options

@ john b.

Thank you for your feedback. If you are still unable to remove the other security solution entries, please click the link below:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2s6n79

Save the archive to your PC and decompress it. Run the reg file and when prompted for a password enter: 123

Let me know if the Bitdefender installation runs smoothly afterwards.

• Just out of curiosity, enable hidden folders, and check C:/ Program Data, and see if there is a leftover F-Secure Quarantine folder there.

Hi,

There were indeed leftovers of F-Secure (Logs & Quarantine) that I had to unlock in order to delete them (stupid windows ownership system) and redo the uninstallation of BD2013 and installation of 2014 without any issue. And although it seems running just fine, SearchAdvisor is still not working. In any case, thanks for the input.

On a side note, the upgrading process is really NOT user-friendly, and considering the number of threads regarding this issue, it seems it'd be greatly improved.

And you can't ask people to download stuff, registering an entry in the registry without giving them at least some sort of explanation or guide lines as to what it's going to do.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hello john b.

Thank you for providing your valuable feedback on the Bitdefender upgrade process!

Please let me know if the Search Advisor is working fine with the latest build number 17.18.0.808. To check if you have the latest build please right click on the Bitdefender icon from the system tray, choose 'About' and look at the 'Product Information'.

Right click on the Bitdefender icon located in system tray and from the menu select "Update Now". Reboot the PC if requested, then this issue should be solved.

Thank you for your cooperation and patience, have a nice day!