Upgrade From Windows 7 To Windows 8

I currently use Windows 7 Ultimate and going to be upgrading to Windows 8 Pro (same hardware/computer). HOWEVER, this upgrade will be a FRESH/CLEAN install from ground up. I currently have Bit Defender Total Security 2013.

1) Please advise how to transition license over to my new Windows 8 environment? Do I need to print some license key/details out? I bought Bitdefender via the Web.

2) Will I be adequately covered/protected? I notice there is a special Windows 8 version of Bitdefender. I want to ensure what I have will keep my new environment safe and protected.

3) Will the licensing cover VM desktops I create? I'd like to create some Hyper-V desktops. Didn't know if bit Defender would cover those virtual environments, or if they each need their own.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• columbo
    columbo
    edited September 2013

Hi Dan N, and welcome :)

Lets see if I can help. If you have a Total Security license key, with a good amount of days left, I would just use the New Version of Total Security for your install. Granted, BD W8 version has a couple of security features designed just for Windows 8, but the other New versions (2014) have some nice features, Wallet, Smaller Widget (BD W8 has no widget), Photon Technology, Improved Safepay, Cloud Antispam, and ELAM (as with BD W8). You will have excellent protection, if you look at this comparison chart and look at the Security Suite, compared to the Total Security, that is what you'd be missing from the BD W8 version, as it has the same modules as the Internet Security. You would have to purchase BD W8 separately.

If you don't have the email confirmation of your BD license key, no problem, open up your BD UI and on the bottom click the "days left", and you will get a pop up window of your key to write down for your install.

No need to worry about a total new install of a different OS (Windows 8) on the same PC, as Bitdefender uses a PC fingerprint type of verification, and not by operating systems, so you will be fine: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=150156

As far as VMware/virtual machines on the same PC with one license, that is not problem either, as long as it's on the same PC: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=34985

Sorry for the length of this reply, and all the links, but I could tell you probably wouldn't mind, just to be sure and to have peace of mind.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Kind regards,

Scott