Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Are These Rescue Mode Files?

Hello I have a couple of questions about what I think are rescue mode files. First are these hidden files related to Bitdefender 2014 Rescue Mode? I know what bdlog.txt is, just curious about the rest.

Second as I haven't run rescue mode, if they are from that why are they already present?

Can they be safely removed and if so, when I want to run rescue mode would they be automatically recreated by the program?

post-147261-1380205282_thumb.jpg

Comments

• Hello,

Thank you for your question.

Indeed, the rest of the files belong to Bitdefender Rescue Mode. They don't have self-protection. If you delete those files, they will be recreated automatically through product update, but Rescue Mode needs them in the system to function properly.

Have a nice evening ahead! :)

• Thanks for clarifying that Georgia. I'll leave them alone in that case.

• Hello,

Thank you for your question.

Indeed, the rest of the files belong to Bitdefender Rescue Mode. They don't have self-protection. If you delete those files, they will be recreated automatically through product update, but Rescue Mode needs them in the system to function properly.

Have a nice evening ahead! :)

Hi, could it be possible to move those files to BitDefender's program files folder in a future update? It would be nice to not have those files directly in the root directory of the C drive.

Another file that I was curious about is "roaminguser_gensett.xml" which is in the C:\Users\[YOUR USER NAME]\AppData

I know this file holds Bitdefender general settings such as sending anonymous usage reports, but again, it would be nice if all BitDefender related files weren't scattered throughout the drive, and available in one standard place, such as Program Files.

Thanks, and have a nice day!

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    edited October 2013

Hi Tornado15550,

Thank you for your feedback.

We actually have a request on moving all the Bitdefender files in the same folder. Hopefully the request will be approved for next Bitdefender products.

Have a nice day you too!

• Please please do move those files from C:\ to another folder in the next Bitdefender version.

It is really annoying to have these files in C:\ when you have set the Explorer

to also show hidden files by default.

Thank you so much

spacemarine

• Hello Georgia, that sounds like a step in the right direction. Thanks for sharing that request information.

• Please please do move those files from C:\ to another folder in the next Bitdefender version.

It is really annoying to have these files in C:\ when you have set the Explorer

to also show hidden files by default.

Thank you so much

spacemarine

(late reply but) We considered starting rescue mode directly from our Program Files folder, but the limited NTFS driver that starts Rescue Mode at boot can't walk arbitrarily nested directories, and we decided to leave the files as hidden in the root folder, rather than deal with startup issues.

• Thanks for taking the time to feedback the reasons behind rescue mode files not being moved. I have another question. What if they aren't installed there until the user actually runs rescue mode? Also, after rescue mode completes and the user restarts they could be removed automatically.