I'm Confused

I can't stand the way Bitdefender differentiates and markets its product line. It's confusing, and the proof of that is all the questions I've seen all over the internet from people as confused as I am about it.

I have read several times that ELAM is the reason that Bitdefender Windows 8 Security is the best option for Windows 8. But then I read this post, which seems to say that the rest of the Bitdefender line now has the same ELAM feature (on Windows 8):

We've already extended the ELAM technology to our classic line products. However, the driver is available only in Windows 8 - in Bitdefender 2013 products and The New Bitdefender classic line:

C:\windows\system32\drivers\bdelam.sys

As we wish to keep Bitdefender Windows 8 Security a standalone product, we will implement all future product improvements/modifications through auto-update.

So, is there any (anti-malware) security advantage of Windows 8 Security over Total Security? If not, I don't understand why I'm seeing $74.95 as the price for W8S, and $49.95 as the price for TS (you may see different prices than I do, because playing games with prices based on many factors is part of this aggravating process, and they cookie them).

I'm asking because what I really want is to buy the Family Pack. This would be the most economical choice for me. But the FP seems to come with Total Security (I guess it does; they don't really go out of their way to specify).

I'm quite close to uninstalling everything and forgetting it all.

Comments

• columbo
    columbo
    edited October 2013

Hi heterodox :)

I'll try to answer your questions the best I can. When BD W8 came out, it was especially confusing as there was no product comparison, which made for plenty of threads like this:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=44103

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=41357

The BD W8 version was the 1st to include the ELAM technology before it was implemented into the other products. So there was a time lag between the two (2013 versions and BD W8) in which BD W8 had the technology going for it, along with App. Scanning, and Scan Boost Technology, thus maybe the price difference at the time. Also, just to be honest, maybe they (BD) thought people would pay the extra $$ price since it was one of the first functioning Security Suites tailored just for Windows 8. Truth is, it was more stable then when the 2013 versions came out, they did a nice job on that one.

With the ELAM technology, and the Photon technology in the 2014 versions, I don't see why they would keep the BD W8 version around. Also, since the 2014 versions have a nice desktop widget which the BD W8 doesn't, along with a better UI, and a better Update download progress bar (cosmetic stuff) makes the 2014 versions better, IMHO (it, BD W8 is the same module wise as the 2013/2014 BD Internet Security)

So, for the nice promotion price and the features you'd get with the Total Security, would be a nice, better move...even though I personally don't use those type of upper tier security packages (Pure, 360 etc) as I find my freeware add-ons do just fine for me and are not dependent on me staying with a security package to keep those features (i.e. online back up, system optimizers etc)

Family Pack is Total Security with the features shown in your link, under this "plan": http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=181607

Hope this helped settle some of the confusion, or did I make it more confusing :unsure:

Scott

• With the ELAM technology, and the Photon technology in the 2014 versions, I don't see why they would keep the BD W8 version around. Also, since the 2014 versions have a nice desktop widget which the BD W8 doesn't, along with a better UI, and a better Update download progress bar (cosmetic stuff) makes the 2014 versions better, IMHO (it, BD W8 is the same module wise as the 2013/2014 BD Internet Security)

I don't understand either. And W8S is the first thing pushed in your face when you hit Bitdefender.com.

As far as the widget goes, however, the W8S page does say it includes a "Security Widget". I can't find it on my system, though, so either it's well hidden, buggy, or the web page is wrong.

So, all this time I've been running a trial of the wrong software. Now I have to deinstall W8S, install TS, and reconfigure it (which is a hassle).

Thank you very much for your time. I appreciate it. Bitdefender owes you, since I see you responding in their place all the time.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited October 2013
    I don't understand either. And W8S is the first thing pushed in your face when you hit Bitdefender.com.

As far as the widget goes, however, the W8S page does say it includes a "Security Widget". I can't find it on my system, though, so either it's well hidden, buggy, or the web page is wrong.

Hard to say what marketing is up to, if BD realizes it's a more "stable" version (at least that was my opinion, when I used it previously), or since Windows 8.1 is coming out, that more people may peruse their webpage and be confronted with "Window 8" software, and make some profit off the more expensive version. It's hard to tell :blink:

Maybe they included the widget recently, in an update (as it's shown in the Full Feature List of the link you provided). I ran BD W8 when it first came out, and the Widget was not included. Forum member, Nesivos, has been using this version consistently and has kept up with it better than I, and could tell you more (I uninstalled it when the new 2014 versions came out). Otherwise, the option of enabling the Security Widget can be found by right clicking the BD system tray icon (inserted image), or in General Settings:

BD2014ShowWidget_zpsd838f30b.jpg

So, all this time I've been running a trial of the wrong software. Now I have to deinstall W8S, install TS, and reconfigure it (which is a hassle).

If you want to wait to see if Nesivos stops in to mention the things he likes about BD W8 before you uninstall it, it's up to you.

Thank you very much for your time. I appreciate it. Bitdefender owes you, since I see you responding in their place all the time.

You're welcome, thanks for the kind words, antikythera has been doing yeoman's work here, too ^_^

• I had W8S installed, and the "Display Security Widget" option wasn't available, nor did a corresponding entry exist in the tray menu. And I had installed every update for W8S that was available. The web page must simply be wrong.

I now have TS installed, and the interface does just ... look better. The Updates progress bar is nice also, as mentioned. And the widget is actually there (by default, even). And I like it.

TS also has TrafficLight, and W8S doesn't. (But I guess it's freely available anyway, so...) They both have the browser toolbar thing.

The anti-spam feature in each fails to support IMAP, so it's useless to me. Bummer.

I chatted with a BD customer service rep, who told me that TS does not have the ELAM feature. I kept inquiring, though, and tech support is supposed to be getting back to me on this. (It does show that even BD reps get confused over these issues!) I see the ELAM driver is installed, but that doesn't mean it's used by the product.

Bitdefender also added some Android malware I submitted the other day, which is nice to see. :)

Thanks again, Scott. So long as TS actually does include ELAM, and continues to run well for me, BD will have a new customer (3, actually) with you to thank.

• heterodox
    edited October 2013

Safepay is in W8S and TS, but in TS, there is a red, obvious "button" in the upper left that performs a "Switch to Desktop". When this is used, you're switched to the Desktop (along with whatever applications are already running), and a similar red button appears on the desktop itself, in the upper-right corner. This time, not surprisingly, it performs a "Switch to Safepay" function.

I'm mentioning this because W8S doesn't have this. In W8S, when you use Safepay, you have to totally close Safepay to access the Desktop. This is one of the things that bothered me about W8S--Safepay doesn't allow me to access LastPass, so it was useless to me. This is another nice touch in TS.

• Thanks for posting your feedback and observations between the 2, heterodox, it may help others here who read your thread :)

I'm glad you like your T.S. Bitdefender really does provide a lot for the money with the "normal" versions. Even the AV+ has so many nice security features some of the other AV (only versions) vendors do not include with their product.

Again, thank you for the kind words for any help I was able to offer.

Have a great weekend :)

• So does that mean with my 1 year sunscription left on Windows 8 Security from Bitdefender I can transfer or upgrade if that is the correct word to Total Security?

• I got a response from BD tech support:

ndeed the latest version of Bitdefender has incorporated the ELAM technology, so if you decide to use our product, you will benefit from it.

Case closed.

So does that mean with my 1 year sunscription left on Windows 8 Security from Bitdefender I can transfer or upgrade if that is the correct word to Total Security?

I'm not sure if what follows is still true, but here it is. Basically, W8S and IS licenses are interchangeable, but W8S and TS licenses are not:

• columbo
    columbo
    edited October 2013
    So does that mean with my 1 year sunscription left on Windows 8 Security from Bitdefender I can transfer or upgrade if that is the correct word to Total Security?

Hi, Village :)

As heterodox alluded to, BD W8 and Total Security are 2 different animals (TS having more modules/features), and the only thing that is comparable with BD W8 is the Internet Security version. Between those two "like versions" (Internet Security and BD W8) you can use the same key . Example would be if you had purchased and had a valid/time remaining key for say the 2012, 2013, 2014 Internet Security version, and then got a PC with Windows 8, and wanted to install that version (BD W8) you could use one of your keys (if you had the 3 license key purchase) to install BD W8 on that PC.

In the past, if someone wanted to change versions within a reasonable amount of time i.e. say within 30 days, Bitdefender support was pretty helpful in either extending days left on a downgrade, or subtracting time/days left on an upgrade.

• In my opinion, it is possible to upgrade your product when you have its lot of subscription left too.