Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Cpu Usage Of About 25% From Bitdefender Security Service

Options
ShinigamiKiba
edited December 2013 in General

For no reason at all vserv.exe sometimes tends to take up about 25% of my CPU usage, normally this isn't something I notice in the least due to having a nice i7 3820, however when I use CPU intensive programs like Corel Painter it becomes a huge issue and as a graphics designer and illustrator I use those quite a lot.

The only way to fix this is to restart the computer.

I assume what happens is BitDefender performs some sort of background scans and when it's done the CPU usage for that particular process never drops as I've left it for over an hour and it ranges from 24-29% overall CPU usage but the file itself is usually stuck at 25 but never goes below that.

BitDefender does not indicate that it's scanning anything

and there are no other security programs active or in memory at all.

As I said, this normally isn't an issue at all

I can even play high-end games with it just fine

but when I need to get CPU intensive work done it's a big problem and it happens at random with no indication of it happening.

I hope I get a quick response for once.

So far I believe that BitDefender is a very powerful detection tool but a very poorly coded program.

And yes my system is 100% clean of any malware, I dont even get that stuff.

Comments

• Also I forgot to mention, none of these instructions solve the issue:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/what-is...ocess-1116.html

I see a lot of unanswered topcis with the same issue on these forums.

I'm starting to think this product might be a scam of some sort

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious ✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Also I forgot to mention, none of these instructions solve the issue:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/what-is...ocess-1116.html

I see a lot of unanswered topcis with the same issue on these forums.

I'm starting to think this product might be a scam of some sort

Sorry for the delay in post. I actually saw your post a week ago, but forgot about answering it until today. :unsure:

Anyways, I can personally assure you that this program is not a scam. It has won "Product of the Year" from AV-Comparatives. It also is Top Product on AV-Test. It currently is the #1 product on TopTenReviews as well. So with that being said, this is definitely not a scam.

Now, onto your problem. First of all, I can assure you, that while your problem is common enough to have its own support page, it does not happen to the majority of Bitdefender users. For example, I'm not having this problem. BitDefenderTM.png

And in fact, if you noticed, it even takes up less than half the memory than Windows DWM! So with that being said, that narrows it down to your specific system. In conclusion, if you want to continue to try to solve this problem in the forums, I will be logging regularly to check for responses. But here is my actual recommendation. You posted this topic in the premium antivirus part of the forums. I'm assuming that means you paid for this product. If you did indeed pay for your security suite, that's good news. You get professional support absolutely free of charge! Now I know for most small problems, you can get them solved quickly and efficiently in the forums, but in this specific case, I'd recommend you elevate your case to professional support. Go here. Well let me know if I helped and what your decision was. :)

• Sorry for the delay in post. I actually saw your post a week ago, but forgot about answering it until today. :unsure:

Anyways, I can personally assure you that this program is not a scam. It has won "Product of the Year" from AV-Comparatives. It also is Top Product on AV-Test. It currently is the #1 product on TopTenReviews as well. So with that being said, this is definitely not a scam.

Now, onto your problem. First of all, I can assure you, that while your problem is common enough to have its own support page, it does not happen to the majority of Bitdefender users. For example, I'm not having this problem. BitDefenderTM.png

And in fact, if you noticed, it even takes up less than half the memory than Windows DWM! So with that being said, that narrows it down to your specific system. In conclusion, if you want to continue to try to solve this problem in the forums, I will be logging regularly to check for responses. But here is my actual recommendation. You posted this topic in the premium antivirus part of the forums. I'm assuming that means you paid for this product. If you did indeed pay for your security suite, that's good news. You get professional support absolutely free of charge! Now I know for most small problems, you can get them solved quickly and efficiently in the forums, but in this specific case, I'd recommend you elevate your case to professional support. Go here. Well let me know if I helped and what your decision was. :)

Thanks

I had all but given up on a response hence why I respond so late.

I'd rather try and fix the problem myself than rely on professional help for now because I have rather....unpleasant experience with most of those help desks and their inability to assess and address problems properly and them giving out automatic replies. I know the product isn't a scam since it was voted as best and all, and I like what it does when it does its job, but you can understand how frustrating my problem is.

The issue only affects me when I use CPU intensive programs like Corel Painter which directly rely on CPU resources, I have 16GB of RAM so memory usage is of no concern to me and isn't a problem.

When this happens I can play games, use photoshop/illustrator and even After Effects just fine, but Corel Painter is in its own world as far as these things go and functions differently from most programs and this becomes a serious issue rendering the program completely unsable, of course when this issue with different isn't present it all works beautifully.

I'd really appreciate it if we could try and solve the issue here if it's not too big a problem

• Captain Obvious
    Options
    Thanks

I had all but given up on a response hence why I respond so late.

I'd rather try and fix the problem myself than rely on professional help for now because I have rather....unpleasant experience with most of those help desks and their inability to assess and address problems properly and them giving out automatic replies. I know the product isn't a scam since it was voted as best and all, and I like what it does when it does its job, but you can understand how frustrating my problem is.

The issue only affects me when I use CPU intensive programs like Corel Painter which directly rely on CPU resources, I have 16GB of RAM so memory usage is of no concern to me and isn't a problem.

When this happens I can play games, use photoshop/illustrator and even After Effects just fine, but Corel Painter is in its own world as far as these things go and functions differently from most programs and this becomes a serious issue rendering the program completely unsable, of course when this issue with different isn't present it all works beautifully.

I'd really appreciate it if we could try and solve the issue here if it's not too big a problem

Sure, I'll do my best. Now this suggestion might be a tad obvious, but have you tried adding Corel Painter to the exclusions list? You can find them in the "Antivirus" settings under the "Exclusions" tab. See here:

BitdefenderS9.png

This seemed to work well with another user having problems with another program. See here: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=51012

• Sure, I'll do my best. Now this suggestion might be a tad obvious, but have you tried adding Corel Painter to the exclusions list? You can find them in the "Antivirus" settings under the "Exclusions" tab. See here:

BitdefenderS9.png

This seemed to work well with another user having problems with another program. See here: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=51012

I could give that a shot

but the 25% CPU usage is unrelated to painter, as far as I can tell it begins before painter is started and doesn't end after I quit painter, it's its own thing it's just that due to the nature of the program, being very CPU dependent core painter is the most affected one.

• Captain Obvious
    Options
    I could give that a shot

but the 25% CPU usage is unrelated to painter, as far as I can tell it begins before painter is started and doesn't end after I quit painter, it's its own thing it's just that due to the nature of the program, being very CPU dependent core painter is the most affected one.

Well, something has to be triggering the AV Scanner. As you saw from my Task Manager screenshot, I don't have this problem. And I have an i7 core just like you. So there has to be some program, or drive, or setting that's triggering the AV Scanner for it to be consuming more than 25% of your CPU, ya know?

• Captain Obvious
    Options

Here, try giving me more system stats. So you know what I'm looking for, here's mine:

Processor: Intel Core i7 (4 logical processors)

Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB

System Type: 64-bit Operating System

Pen and Touch: none

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Dell XPS L702X

[/font][/size]

• Here, try giving me more system stats. So you know what I'm looking for, here's mine:

Processor: Intel Core i7 (4 logical processors)

Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB

System Type: 64-bit Operating System

Pen and Touch: none

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Dell XPS L702X

[/font][/size]

I haven't had the issue since I last posted, that's also around the time I last updated.

It appears that this too is somehow related to the update and it happens a day or a few hours after an update.

I did add Painter to the exclusion list too, but I'm not sure if that made the problem stop or my lack of updating did.

Keep in mind I had serious prioblems with auto update so I turned that off and would update every day or two regularly, I noticed that the issue would come up after a few hours or a day after an update, so I suppose for now both things might have worked.

Thanks man

also my specs:

i7 3820

16GB RAM

GTX680 2GB

Windows 7 Ultimate 64

I do use a tablet, an old Intuous 3 I got in 2009, no problems with that

I'm going to update BD tomorrow or so and see what happens

I've been reluctant to update it for a while now since I keep my system clean, don't visit dangerous sites and I had a ton of work and couldn't afford anything messing up.

• Thanks a lot for all the help

it seems that even after an update everything is fine

in order to prevent the thing doing this even with other applications that aren't painter, I added a few more programs to the exclusion list so now everything seems fine.

Hope I'm not speaking too soon though

• Captain Obvious
    Options
    Thanks a lot for all the help

it seems that even after an update everything is fine

in order to prevent the thing doing this even with other applications that aren't painter, I added a few more programs to the exclusion list so now everything seems fine.

Hope I'm not speaking too soon though

LOL. Well, as a computer engineering student, it's actually very hard to "jinx" a computer. But yeah, glad you got your problem solved. Feel free to post back if you're getting any more problems.