Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Lost License Key

Options

Good day everyone.

I had BitDefender 2012 IS installed on my PC and decided to upgrade to 2013 when I saw this http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=311&id=42. The problem is "The installer will automatically retrieve your license key so you will not need to enter it again during the setup"... Well it didn't and now I find myself with a trial, 30 days version of BD when previously I had more than 700 days available... Before when I clicked on the "there are 7xx days left" it showed me my license key but now I don't know how to get it back.

I've been looking at posts where other people were in my situation but the thing is they bought BD directly so just entering their account would be the answer.

I can't use this solution since I've been given BD by the company that gives me the ADSL (I live in Spain, and there was an offer where you paid a monthly fee (I'm still paying) to the company, which is Orange, and they gave you Internet plus BitDefender 2012 IS), but I had a key, which now I don't know how to retrieve, because since I didn't buy it ( it was the company that supplies the ADSL to me) I can't go into my.bitdefender.com ( I created an account just for the purpose of seeing what happened) to retrieve it, I've also asked the company and they told me to contact you guys.

I really look forward to an answer and thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

DelgiT

Additional Info: 1) I followed the instructions given in the post mentioned above to "upgrade" to BD 2013 IS, using your uninstaller and everything. 2) At the date of 17/12/2013 (which is the last restoration point I have on my PC) I had BitDefender Internet Security 2012 15.0.38

Comments

• Captain Obvious
    Options
    Good day everyone.

I had BitDefender 2012 IS installed on my PC and decided to upgrade to 2013 when I saw this http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=311&id=42. The problem is "The installer will automatically retrieve your license key so you will not need to enter it again during the setup"... Well it didn't and now I find myself with a trial, 30 days version of BD when previously I had more than 700 days available... Before when I clicked on the "there are 7xx days left" it showed me my license key but now I don't know how to get it back.

I've been looking at posts where other people were in my situation but the thing is they bought BD directly so just entering their account would be the answer.

I can't use this solution since I've been given BD by the company that gives me the ADSL (I live in Spain, and there was an offer where you paid a monthly fee (I'm still paying) to the company, which is Orange, and they gave you Internet plus BitDefender 2012 IS), but I had a key, which now I don't know how to retrieve, because since I didn't buy it ( it was the company that supplies the ADSL to me) I can't go into my.bitdefender.com ( I created an account just for the purpose of seeing what happened) to retrieve it, I've also asked the company and they told me to contact you guys.

I really look forward to an answer and thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

DelgiT

Additional Info: 1) I followed the instructions given in the post mentioned above to "upgrade" to BD 2013 IS, using your uninstaller and everything. 2) At the date of 17/12/2013 (which is the last restoration point I have on my PC) I had BitDefender Internet Security 2012 15.0.38

I apologize for your inconvenience. But we cannot help with licensing issues in the forums. Please open a support ticket with Customer Support. You can do that here: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/consumer.html

• I apologize for your inconvenience. But we cannot help with licensing issues in the forums. Please open a support ticket with Customer Support. You can do that here: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/consumer.html

How am I suposed to do that if I don't have my license code??? I lost it after trusting your message "The installer will automatically retrieve your license key so you will not need to enter it again during the setup"... Have you actually read my post or you just saw the title and answered??

• Captain Obvious
    Options
    How am I suposed to do that if I don't have my license code??? I lost it after trusting your message "The installer will automatically retrieve your license key so you will not need to enter it again during the setup"... Have you actually read my post or you just saw the title and answered??

Yes I read your post. Whenever you have that kind of option, you usually had the license key in some form or another at one point. Whether it was in the form of a receipt, sticker, or email; the license is usually sent to you in physical form. If you threw away the receipt or sticker, or deleted the email, the fault is on you. It's still on you if you were crazy enough to select this option without making a backup...especially if you didn't even have the license in physical form. Sure, I do put partial blame on Bitdefender for failing to properly retrieving your license; but only partial blame because technology is error-prone and that's a well known fact (e.g. Look at how many companies invest in backing up data as a business platform such as Microsoft Skydrive, Google Drive, Carbonite, Adrive, etc. etc.).

And which one of your friends (or even you yourself) doesn't back up movies, music, or documents on an external hard drive or at least a flash drive? Everybody does it. So if you've ever backed up a file, but didn't back up your license by at least writing it down on piece of paper either because you think you didn't need to or because you were too lazy to, it's still your fault. And this is because you know how error-prone technology is and still chose not to make a backup in defiance of all rational thinking.

And even if I were to give you the argument of you never having backed up a file in your entire life, then this is a good lesson in life that you will probably never forget ever again. Never forget Murphy's Law: "If something can go wrong, it will go wrong."

With that being said, I will repeat my first post in that there is nothing anybody can do for you on this forum. Nobody has that kind of clearance to handle licensing issues. Not even the forum administrators!

You made a dumb decision, and you're now harvesting the result. Take this as a lesson learned, and back up everything that you feel is even slightly important. Act as if anything could be deleted at anytime, because with computers nowadays, chances of that happening are pretty good.

• Yes I read your post. Whenever you have that kind of option, you usually had the license key in some form or another at one point. Whether it was in the form of a receipt, sticker, or email; the license is usually sent to you in physical form. If you threw away the receipt or sticker, or deleted the email, the fault is on you. It's still on you if you were crazy enough to select this option without making a backup...especially if you didn't even have the license in physical form. Sure, I do put partial blame on Bitdefender for failing to properly retrieving your license; but only partial blame because technology is error-prone and that's a well known fact (e.g. Look at how many companies invest in backing up data as a business platform such as Microsoft Skydrive, Google Drive, Carbonite, Adrive, etc. etc.).

And which one of your friends (or even you yourself) doesn't back up movies, music, or documents on an external hard drive or at least a flash drive? Everybody does it. So if you've ever backed up a file, but didn't back up your license by at least writing it down on piece of paper either because you think you didn't need to or because you were too lazy to, it's still your fault. And this is because you know how error-prone technology is and still chose not to make a backup in defiance of all rational thinking.

And even if I were to give you the argument of you never having backed up a file in your entire life, then this is a good lesson in life that you will probably never forget ever again. Never forget Murphy's Law: "If something can go wrong, it will go wrong."

With that being said, I will repeat my first post in that there is nothing anybody can do for you on this forum. Nobody has that kind of clearance to handle licensing issues. Not even the forum administrators!

You made a dumb decision, and you're now harvesting the result. Take this as a lesson learned, and back up everything that you feel is even slightly important. Act as if anything could be deleted at anytime, because with computers nowadays, chances of that happening are pretty good.

Ok but please do remove or change that sentence in the installation procedure since it's very, very misleading and I'm not the only one to have had this problem, and just so you know, I had no possible way to write it down or whatever since the installer for BitDefender came on an AUTOMATIC CD which when inserted did everything by itself, and now when I insert it it just says the CD license has already been used.

Anyway, thank you for your time.

• Captain Obvious
    Options
    Ok but please do remove or change that sentence in the installation procedure since it's very, very misleading and I'm not the only one to have had this problem, and just so you know, I had no possible way to write it down or whatever since the installer for BitDefender came on an AUTOMATIC CD which when inserted did everything by itself, and now when I insert it it just says the CD license has already been used.

Anyway, thank you for your time.

That's a good thing. As long as you do indeed have a copy of the license, you can open an email ticket with customer support (http://www.bitdefender.com/support/consumer.html). They would be more than glad to reset your key for you. Then you can install your product once again. :)