Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

How Do We Get Rid Of Pasword Protected Threats

Options

On completing a scan bitdefender reported that it had found 129 suspect file on my wife's computer.

110 files were moved to isolation which I eventually deleted but 19 "threats" were reported but could not be moved

because they were "protected by a password"

How do we get rid of these files?

The second thing the anti virus will not update...says "there is an error" and stops

Thanks in advance

Lionel

Comments

• Captain Obvious
    Options
    On completing a scan bitdefender reported that it had found 129 suspect file on my wife's computer.

110 files were moved to isolation which I eventually deleted but 19 "threats" were reported but could not be moved

because they were "protected by a password"

How do we get rid of these files?

The second thing the anti virus will not update...says "there is an error" and stops

Thanks in advance

Lionel

If the file path doesn't contain any personal identifying information (e. g. like usernames), would you mind posting a few here for inspection? For example, here is a file path for a "password protected" file that Bitdefender detected that doesn't contain any personal identifying info

C:\Program Files (x86)\GameStop App\app.dat=>images/myGamesTabActive_bg.png

Though if you are really, really worried about it, one thing you can do is try an "Offline Scan". An offline scan is a scan that scans you computer BEFORE the operating system actually boot (in other words from the BIOS). This allows the scanning of files that would otherwise be protected by the Operating System.

Now (surprisingly) one of the best offline scanners out there today is (brace for shock) Windows Defender Offline (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...efender-offline). Yes, I know many people recoil when they hear of Windows Defender, but I've actually used the Offline version myself a couple times; and have found it to be the best offline scanner out there currently. Not to mention it is extremely easy to set up:

You just download which version you need (either 32 bit or 64 bit), run the program once it's finished downloading, and create the Boot Scanner Image. NOTE: If you're going to use this with a USB flash drive, make sure it's one without any important data on it as creating a boot scanner image reformats ALL the data on said flash drive (whether the scanner needs it or not).

But, if you do indeed want to use something other than Windows Defender Offline, Bitdefender does indeed ship with an offline scanner of its own. But I find it a pain to set up. Anyways, if you're interested, here's the link:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-to-...cue-CD-627.html

• lionelward
    Options

If the file path doesn't contain any personal identifying information (e. g. like usernames), would you mind posting a few here for inspection? For example, here is a file path for a "password protected" file that Bitdefender detected that doesn't contain any personal identifying info

C:\Program Files (x86)\GameStop App\app.dat=>images/myGamesTabActive_bg.png

Though if you are really, really worried about it, one thing you can do is try an "Offline Scan". An offline scan is a scan that scans you computer BEFORE the operating system actually boot (in other words from the BIOS). This allows the scanning of files that would otherwise be protected by the Operating System.

Now (surprisingly) one of the best offline scanners out there today is (brace for shock) Windows Defender Offline (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...efender-offline). Yes, I know many people recoil when they hear of Windows Defender, but I've actually used the Offline version myself a couple times; and have found it to be the best offline scanner out there currently. Not to mention it is extremely easy to set up:

You just download which version you need (either 32 bit or 64 bit), run the program once it's finished downloading, and create the Boot Scanner Image. NOTE: If you're going to use this with a USB flash drive, make sure it's one without any important data on it as creating a boot scanner image reformats ALL the data on said flash drive (whether the scanner needs it or not).

But, if you do indeed want to use something other than Windows Defender Offline, Bitdefender does indeed ship with an offline scanner of its own. But I find it a pain to set up. Anyways, if you're interested, here's the link:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-to-...cue-CD-627.html

Thanks for what seems to be a really complete answer....I will post the files ASAP

Lionel

• Captain Obvious
    Options
    Thanks for what seems to be a really complete answer....I will post the files ASAP

Lionel

No problem. Glad I could help! :)

If you are going to do an offline scan (pre-boot scan from the BIOS), be sure to do an "online" scan (in other words, a regular scan with your computer's operating system fully booted) with Bitdefender afterwards to make sure the offline scanner cleaned everything up. B)