Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Paranoid Mode - Connection Asked More Than Once!

Options

Hi,

I'm using Paranoid Mode (and don't intend not to use it). When a rule is created, I always edit it in "Application Rules", so that it doesn't ask me again if it can allow the app to connect to the internet (see screenshot attached).

But, in most cases, I'm still asked to connect, every single time the app starts! Which is really annoying for obvious reasons.

Has anyone else this issue please?

post-4194-1388934085_thumb.jpg

Comments

• Captain Obvious
    Options
    Hi,

I'm using Paranoid Mode (and don't intend not to use it). When a rule is created, I always edit it in "Application Rules", so that it doesn't ask me again if it can allow the app to connect to the internet (see screenshot attached).

But, in most cases, I'm still asked to connect, every single time the app starts! Which is really annoying for obvious reasons.

Has anyone else this issue please?

Um...isn't that the point of paranoid mode? It alerts you anytime an application connects to the internet regardless of whether or not you have added rules to it. That's why it's called "Paranoid" mode.

• No it's not!!! Paranoid Mode exists to let people choose what can connect to the itnernet and what can't!! It should still follow the Application rules!

• Captain Obvious
    Options
    No it's not!!! Paranoid Mode exists to let people choose what can connect to the itnernet and what can't!! It should still follow the Application rules!

Well, have you tried contacting Customer Support? See, if it's only Mozilla Firefox that's giving you trouble, then you know that it's just a conflict with Mozilla and Firefox. If you email customer support this, I'm sure they will patch the problem in the next product update.

Actually, I noticed this problem when I used to have Paranoid Mode on. It didn't bother me much, so I didn't give it much thought. Now I have it turned off and almost forgot about it.

But yeah, it wouldn't think it would be hard for them to fix if it is indeed just a problem with Bitdefender and Firefox.

You can always try other obscure applications and see if they give you problems. For example, try adding a rule for the command prompt, then doing a trace route.

• tierix
    edited January 2014
    Options

no it's not just FIREFOX. And why are you talking about Firefox??? I didn't say anything about Firefox

I WOULD LIKE A REPLY FROM BITDEFENDER TECH FOR GOODNESS SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Captain Obvious
    Options
    no it's not just FIREFOX. And why are you talking about Firefox??? I didn't say anything about Firefox

I WOULD LIKE A REPLY FROM BITDEFENDER TECH FOR GOODNESS SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well then contact them. You can open an email support ticket here:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/consumer.html

Remember, this is a forum. Your best bet is with actual customer support.

• Well then contact them. You can open an email support ticket here:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/consumer.html

Remember, this is a forum. Your best bet is with actual customer support.

I respectfully disagree! Sometimes, we get much better customer service from the forum compared to the real tech service!!

• Captain Obvious
    Options
    I respectfully disagree! Sometimes, we get much better customer service from the forum compared to the real tech service!!

I agree to a certain extent. You can get really experienced users who do a great job at volunteering their time. Some are even professionals. But I find it to be more of a "hit or miss" kind of situation. :unsure:

• Rossaw
    Options

I have this problem only with Chrome, and I assumed it was something peculiar Chrome did when connecting. Not only does it ask each time, but often it asks repeatedly when I just ran Chrome once. I've had it ask me 5 times in a row to allow Chrome to access the net before Chrome will proceed, so I have to click "allow" over and over. However yesterday I discovered that not only does it repeatedly ask permission for the same process, but it adds a new rule -- whether every time I don't know, but often. Hence in the app rules for the firewall I discover a long list of contradictory rules for Chrome. Some are deny, I think because sometimes I don't see it, and don't realize it's asking, and it will stay there for a while, then go away -- taking it as a deny? Anyway the chrome entry was thus marked with a warning icon, which I assume means it doesn't know what to do given some rules say allow, others deny. Apparently in this state it continues to ask every time. I then discovered there were a number of other apps marked with the warning icon for the same reason. What a mess. It turns out also, to delete the rules, you have to delete each one, wait for it to process, then it takes you back so you're looking at the app list, then you have to select it again, and delete the next rule! I got so frustrated I saw the clear rules button think it meant just for that app, and cleared everything in my firewall. It asks you "are you sure?" but it would be nice if it said, THIS WILL CLEAR EVERY APP AND RULE IN YOUR FIREWALL. Then, are you sure? Stupid of me, of course, but still. Now I have to start all over again, giving every app permission, and there is still the aforementioned problem of asking repeatedly and adding superfluous rules instead of I don't know ... replacing the previous rule?

Also I agree with the original poster, usually at least one employee who knows his stuff is assigned to answer questions in software support forums. This is normal. That way people who have peculiar issues not addressed in FAQs or documentation can search the forum for answers, and the co doesn't have to answer the same question multiple times in technical support. Also it ensures that an answer is given if a customer of the company takes the time to register and ask his question at the forum. Unlike the poster here, and probably myself as well -- given this has sat for 5 months w/o any response except go ask tech support from another user.