Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Html5 Speed Slow Down

Options

Hello,

I have noticed some odd behavior that may be related to Bitdefender 2013. The issue is when running a bandwidth analysis using an HTML5 format (found at speedof.me) it appears my connection speed is limited to 8.5 Mb/s. When I use a flash based version (speedtest.net) I get the full 35 Mb/s down. Upload speeds are not affected at all.

Here's where things get interesting. In Save Mode with networking my graphs look normal, when I'm in normal mode with limited startup options selected using msconfig, I still get the reduced speed, but it's not just that the speed appears to be reduced, it's that they download starts very high then has a perfect slope downward which ends up looking like a shark fin.

It appears that there are two services from Bitdefender that I'm unable to turn off while running my tests. Everything else matches what is running in safe mode. I've tried turning off all the features in Bitdefender but still get the same results.

My download rates are normal and with the exception of this one test everything appears to be fine. I'm am reluctant to uninstalling Bitdefender to find out if that's really the issue, but the problem did start around the time that I installed Total Security.

Has anyone else seen this sort of behavior? Is there a way to definitively turn off Bitdefender to ensure it's not causing this strange behavior? Is there an application that can tell me what's running while in safe mode and then be able to compare it to what's running in normal mode?

Thank you

Comments

• Captain Obvious
    Options
    Hello,

I have noticed some odd behavior that may be related to Bitdefender 2013. The issue is when running a bandwidth analysis using an HTML5 format (found at speedof.me) it appears my connection speed is limited to 8.5 Mb/s. When I use a flash based version (speedtest.net) I get the full 35 Mb/s down. Upload speeds are not affected at all.

Here's where things get interesting. In Save Mode with networking my graphs look normal, when I'm in normal mode with limited startup options selected using msconfig, I still get the reduced speed, but it's not just that the speed appears to be reduced, it's that they download starts very high then has a perfect slope downward which ends up looking like a shark fin.

It appears that there are two services from Bitdefender that I'm unable to turn off while running my tests. Everything else matches what is running in safe mode. I've tried turning off all the features in Bitdefender but still get the same results.

My download rates are normal and with the exception of this one test everything appears to be fine. I'm am reluctant to uninstalling Bitdefender to find out if that's really the issue, but the problem did start around the time that I installed Total Security.

Has anyone else seen this sort of behavior? Is there a way to definitively turn off Bitdefender to ensure it's not causing this strange behavior? Is there an application that can tell me what's running while in safe mode and then be able to compare it to what's running in normal mode?

Thank you

Now, I'm not any sort of "pro" at using Safe Mode (in fact, I've only ever used it once). I'm good enough with a computer to be able to troubleshoot and fix stuff in Normal Mode. But, here's what I ask first. Do you have access to the Task Manager in Safe Mode? If you do, that's probably the best way to compare what processes are running.

• Now, I'm not any sort of "pro" at using Safe Mode (in fact, I've only ever used it once). I'm good enough with a computer to be able to troubleshoot and fix stuff in Normal Mode. But, here's what I ask first. Do you have access to the Task Manager in Safe Mode? If you do, that's probably the best way to compare what processes are running.

Thanks Captain Obvious. I've actually done that but it's kind of hard to do manual comparison that way. Not a big deal. I'm actually wondering if anyone else happens to see the same thing. Am I the only one getting these results?

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious ✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Thanks Captain Obvious. I've actually done that but it's kind of hard to do manual comparison that way. Not a big deal. I'm actually wondering if anyone else happens to see the same thing. Am I the only one getting these results?

I actually wouldn't even get these results because I only use Adobe Flash. HTML 5 is out there, but Abode still claims 75%+ of usage share for video streaming (people are stubborn like that ;) They don't like to change). I guess you'd have to wait for a big HTML 5 user to post back to compare results with.

But personally, I can't understand why you would experience slowdown. Isn't HTML 5 supposed to us less resources? If so, then I don't exactly understand why it would trigger anything in Bitdefender. But who knows, as it grows in popularity, I'm sure this problem will be dealt with.

====================================EDIT======================

P.S. on the Task Manager comparisons. Couldn't you sort processes by Description, put it into Full Screen, then screenshot pictures of both? It would be a lot easier as far as comparing them goes.

• I actually wouldn't even get these results because I only use Adobe Flash. HTML 5 is out there, but Abode still claims 75%+ of usage share for video streaming (people are stubborn like that ;) They don't like to change). I guess you'd have to wait for a big HTML 5 user to post back to compare results with.

But personally, I can't understand why you would experience slowdown. Isn't HTML 5 supposed to us less resources? If so, then I don't exactly understand why it would trigger anything in Bitdefender. But who knows, as it grows in popularity, I'm sure this problem will be dealt with.

====================================EDIT======================

P.S. on the Task Manager comparisons. Couldn't you sort processes by Description, put it into Full Screen, then screenshot pictures of both? It would be a lot easier as far as comparing them goes.

You probably use HTML5 more than you think. It's really just a matter of going to speedof.me since it's using a test written in HTML5. This is usually what I like to think of a true browsing experience as opposed to things that offload the test to your local machine.

I could do the screen shots as you described but there's still multiple pages and then becomes a manual process to compare them. If it was in text it would be easier to highlight or remove duplicate entries.