Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Is2014 Downloaded File Association Missing?

Options

Using Windows Vista with SP2, I downloaded the IS file as directed, then saw the plain white file symbol next to the file name (bitdefender_isecurity). When I attempted to open it, I got the windows "Choose a file association" screen, and of course nothing worked. I deleted the file and re-downloaded it, then once more, using my phone as a Internet source to eliminate the possibility of my server somehow messing with the file. No change.

I used the BD uninstall tool to remove my recently expired IS'11 version and repeated the whole process. No change.

Any help in getting this installed would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am just guessing here that somehow the downloaded installation file lost its "exe" extension. Have you tried renaming the file to end in .exe and launching it as an Administrator? The only other options that

I can think of is that you have a Download Manager in use that is interfering with the download or some other security solution installed that doesn't want any competition ...

Hope this helps. Let us know how you make out. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options

Several people have reported problems with the on-line installer, if you used that one try the off-line installation.

http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/de...is_2013_32b.exe

• Turns out that the downloaded file was indeed missing the .exe

Thanks for the help. I've been a BD customer for more than 5 years and really appreciate the prompt forum help.

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turns out that the downloaded file was indeed missing the .exe

Thanks for the help. I've been a BD customer for more than 5 years and really appreciate the prompt forum help.

Happy to be of assistance. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• Georgia
    Options

@ UnSafe

That's terrific! Thanks for sharing the solution. I will now close this topic.

This discussion has been closed.