Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Interferes With Cyberlink Power Dvd 13 Patch ?

Options
garioch7
garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

Good day folks. I have two computers, both running Bitdefender Total Security and Windows 7 x64 (one Professional, one Home Premium). I also have PowerDVD 13 Ultra on both the Dell Laptop XPS 1645

and my Maingear Shift tower. Yesterday, I successfully installed the patch on my Maingear Shift, but when I went to install it on the laptop, the update stopped at 60 percent and reported that my antivirus

software was blocking installation by not allowing access to a file. Tried updating via Safe Mode, but that too stopped at 60 percent and reported that the Windows Installer service was not running.

I excluded the patch file and PowerDVD 13 from online and on demand anti-virus scanning and launched the patch again. It went through entirely, reported a successful installation, but then PDVD13

would not launch. Rebooted. The same thing, no launch, no error message. Used Revo Uninstaller Pro to take out PDVD13 and then rebooted and installed my original PDVD13 program installation file

without any problems.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, or if not, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can successfully install the latest PDVD13 patch on my laptop? I have also posted this on the PowerDVD 13 Forum.

Thank you for any and all advice. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

Comments

• It sounds like you're doing all the right things. I just went through a troublesome installation of a different product so I know how frustrating it is. I'm not defending Bitdefender :) when I say this but because it installed on your other rig, the other symptoms you experienced, and what you've tried I'd be ready to look at something else besides Bitdefender (as you are). A way you could scratch BD off your list is to disable or uninstall Bitdefender. "Antivirus blocked the file..." to me is a lazy error that generally means the file can't be written to. In my case the permissions were bad.

With that said, I assume the patch is an .exe and not an .msi? I would expect an .exe patch to create an install log or have a switch to create one. An .msi file "should" create a log but can also be forced to create a log in a specific location. How to enable Windows Installer Logging. Or you can use msiexec to force the logging (be sure to use the /L*v switches).

You sound like a technical guy so I won't make this a ****** but if it doesn't make sense post back and I or someone else can go into more details.

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

PNutts3:

Thank you for your response. I did post that email in the PowerDVD Forum as well and I got a response from another power user that the PowerDVD update is known to cause random issues. I don't think

Bitdefender is to blame and he gave me suggestions for retrying the patch install, which I will do the next time that I have my laptop running.

I have no plans to migrate to another a/v solution. I am very happy with Bitdefender. All software comes with "enhanced features" and cause occasional issues and all computers have their own quirks.

Thank you for your reply and I will post again with the results when I have tried the patch again on the laptop. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor