Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Avc3.sys Bsod

Options

Greetings. First forum post, and my apologies if it's not in the right place.

I purchased and installed Bitdefender Internet Security about a week ago. Today (after installing the latest version of iTunes), I rebooted my PC. On the way back, I received a Blue Screen of Death. Near the bottom of that screen, after some hex codes, was a line that mentioned avc3.sys.

I reboot my PC at least once a week, and I can't remember the last time I encountered a BSOD... maybe a year ago. So, this is a rare event, and I'm really disappointed and bothered to see that this file -- which appears to be written by you folks -- caused a problem. (In other respects, Bitdefender seems to be a well-written program: minimal system resources, quick full-system scans, nice interface, etc.)

I've read some other posts about this, via a Google search of avc3.sys, and it appears that you want some file(s) sent to you. If you would give me some current specific instructions on exactly how to do this, I'd be glad to send whatever I can. Note that since this BSOD was part of the start of a reboot, I don't believe there is any way I could have performed a screen grab of it (short of quickly getting out a camera). By the way, I believe some low-level dump was generated, as I got a spinning progress report (as I recall).

After the BSOD, Windows restarted itself, and I had that DOS-like screen asking me what to do. I chose Start Windows Normally, and eventually it came to (normal) life.

My system is Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, 32-bit, all current patches, 3GB RAM, 2TB hard drive (lots of room -- upgraded from a 300GB drive a few months ago).

Regards,

Bill

Comments

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Greetings. First forum post, and my apologies if it's not in the right place.

I purchased and installed Bitdefender Internet Security about a week ago. Today (after installing the latest version of iTunes), I rebooted my PC. On the way back, I received a Blue Screen of Death. Near the bottom of that screen, after some hex codes, was a line that mentioned avc3.sys.

I reboot my PC at least once a week, and I can't remember the last time I encountered a BSOD... maybe a year ago. So, this is a rare event, and I'm really disappointed and bothered to see that this file -- which appears to be written by you folks -- caused a problem. (In other respects, Bitdefender seems to be a well-written program: minimal system resources, quick full-system scans, nice interface, etc.)

I've read some other posts about this, via a Google search of avc3.sys, and it appears that you want some file(s) sent to you. If you would give me some current specific instructions on exactly how to do this, I'd be glad to send whatever I can. Note that since this BSOD was part of the start of a reboot, I don't believe there is any way I could have performed a screen grab of it (short of quickly getting out a camera). By the way, I believe some low-level dump was generated, as I got a spinning progress report (as I recall).

After the BSOD, Windows restarted itself, and I had that DOS-like screen asking me what to do. I chose Start Windows Normally, and eventually it came to (normal) life.

My system is Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, 32-bit, all current patches, 3GB RAM, 2TB hard drive (lots of room -- upgraded from a 300GB drive a few months ago).

Regards,

Bill

Bill:

You should check the Apple Support Forums. The latest iTunes update is causing huge problems for Windows users. I spent five hours correcting the issue on my wife's computer earlier in the week. In the end,

I had to aggressively remove all Apple software from her computer and then reinstall everything and now all is well.

Most users experience a Windows warning that file MSVCR80.DLL is missing, and another file as well sometimes. There have been a few reports of more serious issues. I am not saying that is the cause, but

I am suspicious since that update has caused so many problems for so many users. This might not be a Bitdefender issue at all - it just got blamed. The MSVCR80.DLL is not missing from Windows, as reported,

but Apple can no longer locate it because its uninstaller for the version being replaced deregistered the Mobile App Support service before stopping it, and that leads to all kinds of strange behaviour from Windows.

Google "MSVCR80.DLL Missing" and you will find hundreds of posts from people who have been sideswiped by the latest iTunes update. Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• OK, I will remove all Apple products -- I was thinking of doing that anyway -- and run the support tool. And then get back here, if anything happens.

Thanks, all.

• Georgia
    Options

@Bill Pollack

Let us know how is everything going.

• @Bill Pollack

Let us know how is everything going.

Per the suggestions here, last week I removed all Apple software from my PC: iTunes, QuickTime, and assorted libraries and services and suchlike (this, despite having an iPad2 and an iPhone4). I've rebooted a number of times since, and all seems fine now.

So, I can't prove a negative -- e.g., removing Apple stuff prevents BSODs -- but I can say that it hasn't happened again. Thanks for asking.

• Georgia
    Options

Thank you for replying with your results, Bill.

If you need further assistance with Bitdefender or if you have any concerns please let me know.

You can either reply here or to the existing ticket ID.