Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Windows System Restore Fails With Bitdefender Windows 8

Does anyone have experience with using the Windows System Restore function while running Bitdefender Windows 8?

I have a new Asus laptop with Windows 8 preinstalled. One of the first programs I installed was Bitdefender Windows 8. I soon noticed after experiencing some problems playing Flash videos (another topic) that I was not able to restore the system to any previous restore points; I received an error message indicating some problem with the registry file. Since I didn't have much software installed yet I did a full system reset wiping all files and then started creating manual restore points and testing the restore function after installing software (Chrome browser, etc.). Immediately after installing Bitdefender I created a restore point and then tried recovering the system from the restore point, but I was met with the error "System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an anti-virus program is running on the computer. Temporarily disable your antivirus program and retry System Restore." This is different from the error I got before, which had to do with the registry. Anyway, I turned off the Bitdefender antivirus and firewall and tried restoring the system, but the restore operation still failed. In fact, I received not only a System Restore error, but also a Bitdefender error. Finally, I did a complete uninstall of Bitdefender. After doing that I tried creating a restore point and then tried recovering the system to that point, which worked properly. This implies that Bitdefender is causing the problem. Then I disabled System Restore and installed Bitdefender Windows 8 yet again to see if it would help to have System Restore inactive during the Bitdefender installation. After the installation I re-enabled System Restore, created a restore point, and tried recovering to the restore point. This time I was met with the same error again.

Does anyone know how to make Windows 8 restore the system successfully while Bitdefender Windows 8 is installed?

Thanks!

Comments

• Does anyone have experience with using the Windows System Restore function while running Bitdefender Windows 8?

I have a new Asus laptop with Windows 8 preinstalled. One of the first programs I installed was Bitdefender Windows 8. I soon noticed after experiencing some problems playing Flash videos (another topic) that I was not able to restore the system to any previous restore points; I received an error message indicating some problem with the registry file. Since I didn't have much software installed yet I did a full system reset wiping all files and then started creating manual restore points and testing the restore function after installing software (Chrome browser, etc.). Immediately after installing Bitdefender I created a restore point and then tried recovering the system from the restore point, but I was met with the error "System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an anti-virus program is running on the computer. Temporarily disable your antivirus program and retry System Restore." This is different from the error I got before, which had to do with the registry. Anyway, I turned off the Bitdefender antivirus and firewall and tried restoring the system, but the restore operation still failed. In fact, I received not only a System Restore error, but also a Bitdefender error. Finally, I did a complete uninstall of Bitdefender. After doing that I tried creating a restore point and then tried recovering the system to that point, which worked properly. This implies that Bitdefender is causing the problem. Then I disabled System Restore and installed Bitdefender Windows 8 yet again to see if it would help to have System Restore inactive during the Bitdefender installation. After the installation I re-enabled System Restore, created a restore point, and tried recovering to the restore point. This time I was met with the same error again.

Does anyone know how to make Windows 8 restore the system successfully while Bitdefender Windows 8 is installed?

Thanks!

I have tried both Restores and Resets with W8 running BD W8 Security and not one of them has ever succeeded. I think I even tried to using a Recovery USB and it didn't work. There could be a problem doing Restores on W8 systems using BD W8 Seurity.

• ozziebear
    ozziebear ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have experience with using the Windows System Restore function while running Bitdefender Windows 8?

Thanks!

Hi...The only success I have had with running system restore while BD was installed was to run it in Safe Mode. This way none of the BD drivers are loaded and shouldn't interfere. I believe it is a known issue and there is a Microsoft KB article on this. Worth a try. Good luck.
  • ozziebear
    ozziebear ✭✭✭
    Hi...The only success I have had with running system restore while BD was installed was to run it in Safe Mode. This way none of the BD drivers are loaded and shouldn't interfere. I believe it is a known issue and there is a Microsoft KB article on this. Worth a try. Good luck.
  • ozziebear
    ozziebear ✭✭✭

Hi again...Sorry, I may have over simplified my last answer. I'll try to go thru all the steps. You'll need to enter safe mode using msconfig. Using the usual method, safe mode will reboot normally and BD will stop system restore from completing. so...

Open the 'Run' window (Windows key +R)

Type msconfig and press enter

In the System Configuration window select the Boot tab

Now select 'Safe Boot' then 'OK' and restart

Now run System Restore

After System Restore completes (hopefully sucessfully) you will once again have to run 'msconfig', uncheck safeboot and restart normally.

I just tried this and it worked for me although I did have to restart my system twice to get BD working properly again.

• ozziebear
    ozziebear ✭✭✭
    Hi again...Sorry, I may have over simplified my last answer. I'll try to go thru all the steps. You'll need to enter safe mode using msconfig. Using the usual method, safe mode will reboot normally and BD will stop system restore from completing. so...

Now run System Restore

After System Restore completes (hopefully sucessfully) you will once again have to run 'msconfig', uncheck safeboot and restart normally.

I just tried this and it worked for me although I did have to restart my system twice to get BD working properly again.

I should also add that I am running BD Total Security rather than BD Windows 8. I wouldn't think that would make any difference but I can't be 100 % sure of that.

• You need to remove Bitdefender from start up ( and any other app that protects the file system ) then restart and run restore.

A good antivirus system has strong self defense, that becomes a problem when restoring.

I have restored, refreshed and full restarted a Win8 laptop, but only after shutting down the antivirus, otherwise it is frankly a disaster which makes problems worse.

I now use a free image backup system to make life a lot simpler.

• Hi again...Sorry, I may have over simplified my last answer. I'll try to go thru all the steps. You'll need to enter safe mode using msconfig. Using the usual method, safe mode will reboot normally and BD will stop system restore from completing. so...

Now run System Restore

Alternatively to using (Windows key + R) one can pin 'msconfig' to the Taskbar. Go to C:\Windows\System32 and scroll down until you come to 'msconfig'. Right click it and then left click on Pin To Taskbar. If you have room on Taskbar and use msconfig once in a while it is one less thing to remember; i.e. (Windows key +) and then typing msconfig. It is also a bit faster to get to when pinned to the Taskbar.

• ozziebear
    ozziebear ✭✭✭
    Alternatively to using (Windows key + R) one can pin 'msconfig' to the Taskbar. Go to C:\Windows\System32 and scroll down until you come to 'msconfig'. Right click it and then left click on Pin To Taskbar. If you have room on Taskbar and use msconfig once in a while it is one less thing to remember; i.e. (Windows key +) and then typing msconfig. It is also a bit faster to get to when pinned to the Taskbar.

Good advice. Did you try running system restore this way?