Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Is Rescue Mode Safe To Use?

Options
alokep
edited March 2014 in Antivirus

It appears that this overwrites the boot sector of the hard drive, which makes me nervous.

Does it change the partition table as well? Which partition does it boot from in the rescue mode?

What if the computer freezes during the rescue mode scan? Will BD clean up after itself and restore the boot sector?

What if I cannot boot into Windows 7 after BD mucks around with the boot sector?

Am I better off creating a BD rescue CD and booting from that rather than swapping boot sectors and partition tables?

Paranoid,

Aloke

Comments

• I believe it only disinfects all existing hard rive partitions but not Windows related files. Worst case scenario, you can always do a system restore. Just make sure you have this enabled. smile2.png

hello ,

I have use Bitdefender rescue mode routinely , on booting it gives an option to boot to windows or bitdefender rescue mode . After scanning i do not find the Bitdefender option , so I think it cleans itself after the job is done

regards

Akhil

• alokep
    Options

Clearly, it is changing the boot sector (and the partition tables?) of the drive to give you the multiboot option and then, if everything works correctly, restores the boot sector.

The question is: what happens if something goes wrong, the program locks up, BSOD, whatever.. and the program does not clean up after itself?

If rescue mode is functionally the same as booting from a freshly made rescue CD, then you get the benefit of booting to the linux mode for the scanning without mucking around with the boot sector etc. But I'm not sure that these 2 methods are functionally equivalent.

• Captain Obvious
    Options
    Clearly, it is changing the boot sector (and the partition tables?) of the drive to give you the multiboot option and then, if everything works correctly, restores the boot sector.

The question is: what happens if something goes wrong, the program locks up, BSOD, whatever.. and the program does not clean up after itself?

If rescue mode is functionally the same as booting from a freshly made rescue CD, then you get the benefit of booting to the linux mode for the scanning without mucking around with the boot sector etc. But I'm not sure that these 2 methods are functionally equivalent.

It's true. You are running a portable version of Linux. That is why you shouldn't have to worry about things like BSODs. But have you tried asking Customer Support? What do they say?

• alokep
    Options

I didn't ask tech support because my question was not specific to a problem I was having. It was more generic, like finding out the different pro and cons in running BD in various modes: GUI, safe mode, rescue mode, rescue disk.

I figured others here would know, and maybe the BD folks would post some information, generating a discussion.