Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Malwarebytes And Bitdefender Please Help Me Understand

Options

Hello all,

I have the latest Bitdefender and I have Malwarebytes runniong too. I know somethings can conflict so I googled if it was ok to run side by side. I read lots of messages about setting exceptions, I really don't understand this, am I ok to just let them sort themselves out?

Cheers

Phil

Comments

• Rohugh
    Options

Hiya Phil66,

If you are running the latest version of MBAM I have noticed some issues with running both it and BD together as active programs and I do not, for the minute, recommend running MBAM as an active program. Bitdefender have never advised running the two together because of possible conflicts from the scanners although the previous version of MBAM (1.7) never gave any problems.

However, should you wish to try the two you need to add exclusions to BD.

Open the GUI

Click the gear icon at the top of Antivirus

Exclusions tab, Exclusion for Files to on, click excluded files and folders.

Click add and set up as per my Attachment.

You should also do the same with MBAM setting the Bitdefender folder as an exclusion.

post-175392-1398606485_thumb.jpg

• Nesivos
    Options
    Hello all,

I have the latest Bitdefender and I have Malwarebytes runniong too. I know somethings can conflict so I googled if it was ok to run side by side. I read lots of messages about setting exceptions, I really don't understand this, am I ok to just let them sort themselves out?

Cheers

Phil

I have run BD W8 Security alongside MBAM Pro 1.X and now MBAM 2.0 Premium for abou a year and half on my W8.X computers

I also ran BD AV Free alongside MBAM Pro 1.X for over a year on my W7-SP1 computer

I am now running BDIS alongside MBAM Premium 2.0 since the first or second MBAM 2.0 Beta was released a couple of months ago on my W7-SP1 computer

In addtion to the currently recommended list of exclusions, a list of which is available on the MBAM forum, I also have a MBAM exclusion in BD under 'Privacy' I have whitelisted the MBAM update url 'data-cdn.mbamupdates.com' though I don't know if it still needs to be whitelisted in BD.

In anycase I have not noticed any conflicts between the two on my four computers since I began using them together about a year and half ago other than having to uninstall MBAM in order to install BD or repair BD. According to the forum Adm on the MBAM forum who works for MBAM, MBAM 2.0 Premium has been tested with a number of AV products and BD is one they have found compatible with MBAM 2.0

• daman1
    edited April 2014
    Options

I have different results i'm running BD AND MBAM 2.01(in sig.) in real time and no issues what so ever. There playing nice on my PC.

*Edit* also I have NO... exclusions added.

• Nesivos
    Nesivos
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I have different results i'm running BD AND MBAM 2.01(in sig.) in real time and no issues what so ever. There playing nice on my PC.

*Edit* also I have NO... exclusions added.

Here are the current list of suggested exclusions for MBAM. The link points to a Malwarebytes forum question regarding a competitor of BD but the exclusions are the same

For 32-bit Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64-bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site: 'data-cdn.mbamupdates.com'

• Phil66
    Options
    Hiya Phil66,

If you are running the latest version of MBAM I have noticed some issues with running both it and BD together as active programs and I do not, for the minute, recommend running MBAM as an active program. Bitdefender have never advised running the two together because of possible conflicts from the scanners although the previous version of MBAM (1.7) never gave any problems.

However, should you wish to try the two you need to add exclusions to BD.

Open the GUI

Click the gear icon at the top of Antivirus

Exclusions tab, Exclusion for Files to on, click excluded files and folders.

Click add and set up as per my Attachment.

You should also do the same with MBAM setting the Bitdefender folder as an exclusion.

Thanks for that, I've made the settings you advise BUT, how do I know if they are working fine together?

Thanks

Phil

• Rohugh
    Options
    Thanks for that, I've made the settings you advise BUT, how do I know if they are working fine together?

Thanks

Phil

There is no way of testing (as far as I know) to check if they are working together. There are a number of forum members who use them together as active programs without problems - as can be seen from the replies above so why not give it a try, if you see or suspect issues post here or on the MBAM forums or if they run fine for you also let us know. It will be useful information and help for others as this question is bound to crop up again.

I am going to give them another try. :)

Ro.

• Nesivos
    Nesivos
    edited April 2014
    Options

Thanks

Phil

After installing and loading both BD and MBAM (Trial Version) I would proceed as follows. Make sure to install BD first and MBAM afterwords.

Start by running a Bitdefender System Scan. It should run fine. Then check the scan log and Quaranatine.

Then run a full system Custom Scan with MBAM. Again it should run fine. When done check the scan log and Quarantine.

If there are possible conficts you will see things like MBAM Malware and/or Malcious Website Protection turned off after using them together. Same with BD. You will see one or more error messages in BD saying something has been turned off and needs to be fixed. Of course keep in mind that these messages could indicate another problem not having to do with a conflcit. You can look at the Windows Event Logs. Also there are tools that links to can be found on the MBAM website that help you analyze problems and conflicts. They are also very helpful in working with users with issues with MBAM.

The one area that I don't know how you can check other than by experience over time is whether using the two together reduces your computer's security. I think the litmus test is this. If you use both together and run CCleaner daily, keep Windows and all your apps up to date then then MBAM and BD are not in conflict if your computer is not getting infected by malware. Just make sure to keep Windows and all your apps up to date ASAP after an update is released.

Layered security (using multiple security apps in real time) is the best way to go. I use BDIS or BD W8 Security with MBAM Premium, Microsoft EMET, SAS Pro, Win Patrol Plus and IMF Pro all running at the same time. It slows my systems down a bit but makes my computers safer. Think of it this way. It is like building a defense against an attacking army. The more lines of defense the better the chance the attacking army won't break through to your stronghold. You just have to make sure they all communicate with each other and don't get in each other's way. Only trial and error over time and a lot of reading will help you build a solid multi-layer secure computer. Note I am not recommending others use my mutli-layered security system since I am not technically qualified to do so. Also what works on one computer may not work on another. Al I am saying is it has worked for me and just citing it as an example of multi-layered security.

• Raul90
    Options

I have MBAM Premium ver2.0.1.1004 alongside BD IS Build 17.27.0.1146. I do not have any issues with both running. But I only start MBAM on demand or when I have booted to the partition. I do not have MBAM as an autostart. I have excluded in BD,

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

and in MBAM Premium,

C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender

E3oePMa.png

• Nesivos
    Options
    I have MBAM Premium ver2.0.1.1004 alongside BD IS Build 17.27.0.1146. I do not have any issues with both running. But I only start MBAM on demand or when I have booted to the partition. I do not have MBAM as an autostart. I have excluded in BD,

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

and in MBAM Premium,

C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender

E3oePMa.png

You are running an outdated version of MBAM. 1009 is the latest release. There were a lot of bugs in 1004 that have been fixed.

• Raul90
    Options
    You are running an outdated version of MBAM. 1009 is the latest release. There were a lot of bugs in 1004 that have been fixed.

Huh....Build 1009? Isn't it when you update the database you automatically get any version update automatically too? I went to https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=145758 there wasn't any update there mentioned...How did you update to Build 1009?

I also checked http://www.malwarebytes.org/downloads/ and clicked "download" but I got Build 1004 still. Maybe they still didn't update their servers...Can't find anything that has Build 1009 :( Anyway I just use Mbam Premium as on-demand.

10UcnCq.png

nJ2URw2.png

AG3Yls3.png

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Huh....Build 1009? Isn't it when you update the database you automatically get any version update automatically too? I went to https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=145758 there wasn't any update there mentioned...How did you update to Build 1009?

I also checked http://www.malwarebytes.org/downloads/ and clicked "download" but I got Build 1004 still. Maybe they still didn't update their servers...Can't find anything that has Build 1009 :( Anyway I just use Mbam Premium as on-demand.

1009 is still in beta and is not a release, the betas work well and are worth updating to.

post-175392-1399026483_thumb.jpg

• Nesivos
    Options

Go to the Malwarebytes forum Open Betas. There is a post there with the link. I have used 1009 since it became available a few days ago. Works a better than 1004 and 1007. I have not noticed any new problems in 1009 that were not in 1004 and 1007. 1009 still has some issues but most of the stuff in 1004 and 1007 that needed fixing was fixed in 1009 Beta. Malwarebytes rushed v2.0 into RTM when there were too many problems. As a result they decided to revert back to calling 1009 Beta.

• Raul90
    Options
    Go to the Malwarebytes forum Open Betas. There is a post there with the link. I have used 1009 since it became available a few days ago. Works a better than 1004 and 1007. I have not noticed any new problems in 1009 that were not in 1004 and 1007. 1009 still has some issues but most of the stuff in 1004 and 1007 that needed fixing was fixed in 1009 Beta. Malwarebytes rushed v2.0 into RTM when there were too many problems. As a result they decided to revert back to calling 1009 Beta.

Oh thanks for that info. I mistakenly thought that Build 1009 is already a stable version. I'll visit the beta forum there later. Thanks guys for the information.

• Nesivos
    Options
    Oh thanks for that info. I mistakenly thought that Build 1009 is already a stable version. I'll visit the beta forum there later. Thanks guys for the information.

1009 is now outdated. Latest Beta is 1010