Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Newbie Question On Bitdefender Sandbox

Options

Hello,

I'm new here and it has been a couple of times that I have tried out BD ID 2014 and BD AV 2014 but I have not been able to keep it for more than a month. Well I'm gonna post it in a thread seperate from this one soon.

I'd like to ask a question on Bitdefender Sandbox. How can I recover items in the sandbox? I have tried to get an image from the web via the right-click>save image as but it seems I cannot get it. I also noticed that when you use the right-click>save as, there is no border when the explorer appears to where you wanna save it. Please see images attached.

mgxNnb5.png

q0WsF4w.png

IWtJ1hI.png

So how can I recover the images? Or better yet if I download files from the internet, say in softpedia.com, I tried to download GMER there but how can I recover it?

fo3I06U.png

Also I was checking out the documentation and user guide but it does not show anything also,

Bitdefender Internet Security_User's Guide

Publication date 08/12/2013

18.1.1. Bitdefender protection in the web browser>Sandbox page 103

Sandbox

Click to launch the browser in a Bitdefender-provided environment, isolating

it from the operating system. This prevents browser-based threats from

exploiting browser vulnerabilities to gain control of your system. Use Sandbox

when visiting web pages you suspect may contain malware.

Browser windows opened in Sandbox will be easily recognizable through their

modified outline and Sandbox icon added at the center of the title bar.

Note

Sandbox is not available on computers running Windows XP.

Comments

• Raul90
    Options

Anyone please...?

• Rampant
    Rampant ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options

Directory sandbox here.

C:\Users\Rampant\AppData\Local\Temp\bdsandbox

In the properties of the folder, do not forget to turn on the display of hidden files and show protected operating system files.

• Raul90
    Options
    Directory sandbox here.

C:\Users\Rampant\AppData\Local\Temp\bdsandbox

In the properties of the folder, do not forget to turn on the display of hidden files and show protected operating system files.

Thanks for the reply.

So I can cut/paste or move files from there to the host system correct? Will the sandboxed browser need to be running while I want to transfer(cut/paste or move) files from that location to the host system?

Thanks again :)

• Rampant
    Rampant ✭✭
    Options

Yes, you can perform any operations. In the sandbox, a copy of the operating system, emulating directory both system and user.

• Raul90
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Yes, you can perform any operations. In the sandbox, a copy of the operating system, emulating directory both system and user.

I tried to get a picture I got via the "right-click>save image as" and saved it in "Downloads" folder (C:\Users\Raul\Downloads). In the browser I tried to click, "Show in Folder" to check if the image is "inside" the "downloads" folder. The folder would not open. Folder will only launch when you you choose where to download/save the file as in the first post. The same behavior also there is no border in the save folder location selection.

Clicking the image file, my default image viewer launches and displays the image. The image viewer is inside the BD sandbox. See image attached.

3BlYMSm.jpg

Now as I checked the contents of,

C:\Users\Raul\AppData\Local\Temp\bdsandbox

it was empty. See image attached.

m6aP3OR.jpg

Now whatever happened to the image I downloaded via right-click>save image as? Am I doing it wrong...?

How can I effectively recover files from the BD sandbox..?

Is there a proper documentation about the BD sandbox..?

• Rampant
    Rampant ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options

Here is the full path to the folder of saved files, there you were looking for?

C:\Users\Rampant\AppData\Local\Temp\bdsandbox\HarddiskVolume5\Users\Rampant\Downloads

You have enabled display protected operating system files?

6T8M8iZ.png

• Raul90
    Options
    Here is the full path to the folder of saved files, there you were looking for?

C:\Users\Rampant\AppData\Local\Temp\bdsandbox\HarddiskVolume5\Users\Rampant\Downloads

You have enabled display protected operating system files?

6T8M8iZ.png

Thanks for the help with the sandbox as I can't find any documentation of it even in the user guide.

Oops I stand corrected there. I thought that I have unchecked "Hide operating system files" as when I started trying out BD IS 2014 I remember unchecking it at first. Here it is now intact. Nice!

fo1iL2K.jpg

Is there anyway I can view it in the folder without having to always "uncheck - Hide operating system files"....? That is why I was clicking "Show in folder"...

• Rampant
    Rampant ✭✭
    Options
    Is there anyway I can view it in the folder without having to always "uncheck - Hide operating system files"....?

Create a shortcut to this folder.

• Raul90
    Options

Are files left in the sandbox automatically deleted after I restart? Or will I have to delete them manually?

MFxzbJN.png

I'll try to post a video with RKill as download. I ran RKill from inside the sandboxed browser and BD threw a pop-up. Will there be a pop-up if I was not in Paranoid mode?

PS,

I was to edit the previous post but got a Board message so I posted as a reply. Thanks.

• Rampant
    Rampant ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options

I already asked a question to the developers, to clean the sandbox, but received no response. As far as I know, sandbox itself is not cleared.

• Raul90
    Options
    Create a shortcut to this folder.

Thanks again for the reply. This is the video that I wanted to upload had a friend upload it for me as my internet now is flaky.

https://vimeo.com/94201862

• Rampant
    Rampant ✭✭
    Options

I also do not open a folder from a download manager, so I recommend you create a shortcut to this folder, why is this happening, I do not know.

• Raul90
    Options

Thanks very much again for the reply. So in the meantime I have to manually clean the sandbox of any items I may have downloaded. I will continue observing using the sandbox. Thanks. :)

• Rampant
    Rampant ✭✭
    Options

Happy to help, but I just wanted to hear the comments of the developers, they can tell how the sandbox.

• Raul90
    Options
    Happy to help, but I just wanted to hear the comments of the developers, they can tell how the sandbox.

Thanks again.I do also HOPE that the devs reply here..not only in this topic but in other topics as well. I seem to see that majority of the "helpers" are from seasoned users/dedicated members like you :)

• Rampant
    Rampant ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options

Not getting answers over the years, many have gone from this forum guys were advanced users. In Romanian developers own policy, although we do not understand.

• Raul90
    Options
    Not getting answers over the years, many have gone from this forum guys were advanced users. In Romanian developers own policy, although we do not understand.

I've heard a lot of comments from friends, some along that line of yours...that devs very seldom reply to posts here. Before I went and (joined)posted here I was in contact with BD support. There was a Senior Technical Support Engineer who was assisting me. I sent around 8 issues to him via email including all the support tool data alongside a couple of AutoRun files but after 2-3 replies I was told to post here instead. Even the workaround that he told me I did already and if I could sum it up -- did not tried his best to help me out. Even said to me that Shadow Defender is an antivirus. To quote him,

Use only one antivirus program: do not get fooled by the simple idea of installing two or more antivirus programs at once. This will not help to keep you safe instead the virus definitions of both antivirus programs will confused with each other and it is also not safe for computer. As this will cause much more memory and CPU usage and software conflicts, including a delayed boot time. Please uninstall Shadow Defender.

Had no issues with Shadow Defender when this partition had another security setup(last combi was Outpost Pro ver9 + Nod32 AV).

Anyway, I'll stick around and see what will happen if I'll stay with BD or junk it all. It's good to know that you guys are here to help whatever you can to users. Your all aces in my book!