Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Question About Active Virus Control

Options

Hello,

I read the manual but still in doubt as to what exactely it does.

Does setting it to maximum affects performance and/or other scan tasks such as on demand, on access, system scan?

Thank you!

Comments

• Nesivos
    Options
    Hello,

I read the manual but still in doubt as to what exactely it does.

Does setting it to maximum affects performance and/or other scan tasks such as on demand, on access, system scan?

Thank you!

Active Virus Control continuously monitors the applications running on the computer, looking for malware-like actions. Each of these actions is scored and an overall score is computed for each process. When the overall score for a process reaches a given threshold, the process is considered to be harmful and it is blocked automatically.

Setting it to High will generate some false positives. Setting it to low may result in some misses. As far as the affect on performance it will vary based upon each computer. You may want to experiment with the settings to find the level you are most comfortable with. I would recommend beginning with high. I have it set to high and have yet to see a false positive.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options

@ karl77: Active Virus Control is a proactive, dynamic detection technology based on monitoring processes’ behavior and tagging suspect activities.

As Nesivos already mentions above, if you set the protection level higher, Active Virus Control will require fewer signs of malware-like behavior to report a process. This will lead to a higher number of applications being reported and, at the same time, to an increased likelihood of false positives (clean applications detected as malicious).

The higher you set the protection level for AVC, the higher is the impact on your PC performance. However, it does not affect the functionality of other Bitdefender features.

If you notice that Active Virus Control detects legitimate applications often, you should set a more permissive protection level.

Let us know if you have other questions or concerns.