Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

One Feature I'm Desperate For In Bitdefender Av/is

Options

When running a Virus scan, I frequently get a number of "Infected files detected" in BDIS 2014. 99% of the time, this is because I've picked up some dodgy tracking cookies, which on their own, are not really major threat, and come with the territory of browsing the web.

The problem is, everytime I see "Infected files detected" I tend to panic a little and get a bit paranoid, as there's a small chance it could actually be a Trojan, Worm or Virus this time. If what I'm thinking turns out to be true, I don't want to have to wait until the end of the scan to have it removed, and I want to be sure to have changed all of my important passwords ASAP.

Here's where the problem becomes major for me:

In order to see what the infected files are during a scan, I ether have to stop the scan altogether, or wait up to an hour for the scan to complete. Obviously, because I'm rather paranoid, I tend to stop the scan to check what the infection is, after which I have to start the scan over again.

The solution to this would be simple enough, as there are 2 options, 1 or both of which could be fairly easily implemented.

1. Show realtime scan results during the scan. i.e List infected files found while the scan is ongoing.

2. Move tracking cookies to the Yellow Category instead of the Red Category. Categorizing tracking cookies in the same category as viruses leads to unnecessary panic.

Other than that BDIS is a great program, which has protected me from many unwanted infections.

Comments

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    Options
    Cookies are basically the haven for Trojans in my experience.

Cookies in themselves are not harmful, I don't know where you get that idea.

Read this topic and Georgia's post at the end.

• coldlinks@mail.com
    edited July 2014
    Options

@hirsche From Bitdefender

How can a cookie threaten a computer?

A cookie itself cannot harm the computer, as it does not and cannot hold code (therefore the cookie cannot perform an action itself). However, the cookie can support (help) malicious actions to be taken on the respective system. Even more, being a plain text file, they are vulnerable, meaning that they can be “harvested” by other applications.

Nevertheless, I'm always sure to delete them when they're picked up, but in comparison to Trojans, they're minor annoyances.

My point is, it would be really nice to be able to distinguish between a detected Trojan and a detected Tracking cookie during a scheduled scan instead of having to wait until the end to see exactly what was detected.

@Rohugh Thanks for the informative links, it's good to know I'm not the only one with this concern. I certainly don't want BD to stop detecting tracking cookies though, I just want to be able to distinguish them from actual/immediate threats like Trojans during a scan.