Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

How do you access a shared a printer thru firewall?

Options

I'd like to know how to give access to a printer that is directly connected to a computer for other computers on my network?

The computer with the directly connected printer has bitdefender internet security 10 installed on it. When I disable the firewall module other computers get access to the printer resource, when the firewall is enabled they can't.

I have tried to create a firewall rule that allows access to a computer using its ip address, but failed. Does anyone have a greater insight as to how this can be done?

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• vladx
    Options

Do you have the ICS service started?

If not, run services.msc and start it and also check Internet Connection Sharing Support in Firewall->Advanced->Settings.If still doesn't

work. then delete the rule you make and put your Bitdefender Firewall to Ask .This way, when you'll try it again, you'll be asked to Allow or Deny it.

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited May 2007
    Options

Hi JG27,

After you created that rule, you have to click Edit Profile (in the Firewall -> Traffic section), search for that rule in both Inbound and Outbound lists and move it to the top. This will give your rule a higher priority and it will be applied BEFORE BD's default rules.

As far as I know, File & Printer Sharing is made through port 139 (NetBIOS), port which is blocked by default by BD IS Firewall, because it could be used by viruses to get inside your PC.

@vladx: ICS doesn't have anything to do with File & Printer Sharing. It is used when you want to give another PC access to the internet through your PC (kinda like making your PC a server). You do not need to enable ICS to have File & Printer Sharing.

Cris.

• vladx
    Options
    @vladx: ICS doesn't have anything to do with File & Printer Sharing. It is used when you want to give another PC access to the internet through your PC (kinda like making your PC a server). You do not need to enable ICS to have File & Printer Sharing.

Yeah, you're right Cris i forgot about this, thanks for refreshing my memory.

• jgreene
    Options
    After you created that rule, you have to click Edit Profile (in the Firewall -> Traffic section), search for that rule in both Inbound and Outbound lists and move it to the top. This will give your rule a higher priority and it will be applied BEFORE BD's default rules.

As far as I know, File & Printer Sharing is made through port 139 (NetBIOS), port which is blocked by default by BD IS Firewall, because it could be used by viruses to get inside your PC.

Cris.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for this post. I understand now that I needed to move the rule to the top of the list.

JG27

• jgreene
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Hi JG27,

Cris.

Unfortunately this did not work.

I tried "any ports" in the rule, but was not successful.

The second computer, PC2 was not able to print via PC1 on the network.

Disabling Bit Defender firewall and the problem is solved - but this is not what I really want.

• alexcrist
    Options

Hi JG27,

I'm sorry, but I don't have a Printer shared in my network, so I can't really test this :(

Next week I'll try to find find a printer and test this. It has to be something that works. I'll let you know if I find anything. :)

Cris.

• jgreene
    Options
    Hi JG27,

I'm sorry, but I don't have a Printer shared in my network, so I can't really test this :(

Next week I'll try to find find a printer and test this. It has to be something that works. I'll let you know if I find anything. :)

Cris.

Thanks