Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

How Can I Control Virus Scan Execution?

Options

CAN"T CONTROL WHEN VIRUS SCAN RUNS!

1. The virus scan runs each morning when I awaken my computer from the "sleep" mode even though I have purposely not checked "At system startup" in the "Schedule" screen under the "Manage Scan Tasks" screen of the "Antivirus" section of the Security Center.

2. Under the "Manage Scan Tasks" screen of the "Antivirus" section of the Security Center, I have set the "Scheduled System Scan" to run daily at 1:20 AM and have set the "System Scan" to run weekly on Thursdays at 1:00AM. However, neither have executed at the prescribed times--the only scan performed is the one that executes when I click my mouse each morning to awaken the computer from the "sleep" mode.

How do I get the program to operate at my direction? Since the system scan usually takes 40 - 45 minutes, it means that I can hardly use my computer during that time because BitDefender uses so much of the CPU that any other program executing concurrently bogs down to a crawl--literally!

Comments

• Have you turned off Autoscan? If not try doing that.

• Have you turned off Autoscan? If not try doing that.
  • Are "Autoscan" and "Idle Scan" the same thing???

Page 75 of Users Guide describes how to turn Autoscan ON and OFF [1. Open Bitdefender window; 2. On the Antivirus panel, click the switch to turn on or off Autoscan.]

However, when I access the Antivirus panel the only switch I see is for Idle Scan. Then, when I turn it off, I get the warning message, "Idle scan is disabled. Your computer is at risk."

• antikythera
    edited September 2014
    Options

Yes sorry I meant Idle Scan (they are indeed the same thing as you suspected). Too much time spent in the past with a certain Russian AV caused the brain f4rt on my part.

Anyhow, your computer isn't at risk if realtime protection is enabled. Since that would catch anything the Idle Scan would. Additionally, the 'risk' can be negated by running system or custom scans as and when you want.

The increasingly common Nanny State behaviour in most security programs is all well and fine. However for the rest of us with common sense, yourself included, we can research and decide for ourselves what is a risk and how big a risk it is.

• Rohugh
    Options

They renamed Autoscan to Idle Scan at the end of March this year with 2014 version 17.27.0.1146.

• They renamed Autoscan to Idle Scan at the end of March this year with 2014 version 17.27.0.1146.
  • FYI

Talked to Bitdefender Help Desk yesterday and found out that my computer--as well as everyone else's--will not come out of "sleep" or "hibernate" mode to execute a scheduled system scan. That's why my computer starts a scan each morning when I "wake" it--it's trying to perform the scan that I scheduled for 1:20AM each day.

They also confirmed that "Autoscan" and "Idle scan" are the same.