Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Free Edition Vs. The Other Bitdefender Free Edition

Options

Hello.

I need some help, please.

Awhile back, I learned that a free version of Bitdefender existed and told myself that if I ever wanted to change my current antivirus, that I should give it a try.

I had some issues with my current antivirus last night, so I uninstalled it with the intention of installing the free edition of Bitdefender sometime today.

I did a Google search to locate a download location, and after checking out a few of the returned links, I noticed something very odd.

The first link that I opened (http://www.bitdefender.com/support/bitdefender-free-edition-549.html) took me to a page featuring a product called Bitdefender Free Edition, which was exactly what I was looking for. However, after reading the description of the product, I learned that it actually wasn't what I was looking for. The page describes the product as being an on-demand virus scanner and specifically says that Bitdefender Free Edition does not offer real-time protection. That's not what I wanted.

The article that I had previously read, where I first learned about the product, said that it did offer real-time protection, and that's what I wanted. I had no use for just another on-demand scanner, so I left the page and tried another link.

The second link that I opened (http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html) took me to a page also featuring a product called Bitdefender Free Edition, but strangely, this second product, even though it has exactly the same name, appears to be completely different from the first one. According to the description of it on the web page, this Bitdefender Free Edition does have real-time protection and all of the other features that I was looking for.

Obviously, the second product is the one that I want, but due the confusion caused by the other one, I am now hesitant to download it. I don’t have any confidence in what I would even be downloading and installing on my computer at this point.

It makes no sense to me that Bitdefender would put two different products on the market, both having exactly the same names, but being completely different from each other in terms of their designed purpose and functionality. But regardless of how strange that may seem, unless something is amiss with the information provided on the websites that I visited, it does appear to be the case that they have.

So now, I’m here, on this forum, hoping that somebody can tell me what's going on. Can someone please explain this situation to me? Why are there two different products available for download (not on some sketchy third-party download site, but from Bitdefender's very own websites) with the same product names but completely different from each other?

Looking forward to someone's knowledgeable reply.

Thanks!

Comments

The first link that I opened (http://www.bitdefender.com/support/bitdefender-free-edition-549.html) took me to a page featuring a product called Bitdefender Free Edition,

The second link that I opened (http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html) took me to a page also featuring a product called Bitdefender Free Edition, but strangely, this second product, even though it has exactly the same name, appears to be completely different from the first one.

There is currently only one Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition but I believe there was a different free antivirus from Bitdefender before. When I reviewed the first page you listed, I noticed it has a link to the second page you wrote about. However the description in the first page looks old and it is probably for a discontinued product* because it mentions only support for XP and Vista but not Windows 7 or 8.x. Perhaps you should write a note to the web manager* ;)

The current free antivirus (gonzales) is not very new, however it works very well and it provides real-time protection. It was initially introduced in December 2012, but it developed into a stable version through 2013 (last version by release number was in October 2013). It is a supported product that receives frequent updates (signatures; sometimes every hour). It offers very few options: either it protects you or it does not. You must uninstall other security solutions (as you did already!) but I found no problem with having a firewall form a third party.

That said, there are other free virus detection tools from Bitdefender®: an installable 60-Second Virus Scanner and a browser based Quick Scan. I cannot say that they are antiviruses since I do not know that they neutralize viruses.

*The first page talks about Bitdefender Free Edition instead of Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition.