Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Update Of 2014-12-03 Bdts2015 Causes Windows 7 Explorer.exe Malfunction

Options
garioch7
garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

Updated my main computer this AM with the latest BDTS 2015 updates. After that, Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) stopped responding - No error message when it fails to respond, but upon shutdown,

the following error message appears: "LogonUI.exe Application Error, 0x77305357 memory could not be referenced 0x00000000 Windows Logon" I booted up my laptop and checked that Windows Explorer

(explorer.exe) was functioning. It was. Updated Bitdefender. Windows Explorer stopped responding. Same error message. My wife has a DELL XPS. She updated BDTS 2015 and had no issue with .explorer.exe.

Windows Explorer will open properly in Safe Mode. BDTS and Malwarebytes scans are negative.

I have opened a support ticket. The laptop was subject of an "sfc /scannow" and "chkdsk c:/ r" just Friday past in connection with another issue and came back clean. I ran an "sfc /scannow" on the main computer

earlier today and no integrity violations were found. I am currently running a "chkdsk" on that computer right now.

There was a thread the last week in the "Antivirus" forum concerning explorer.exe not responding. Not sure whether the issues are related. From what has happened in my house, where only two of three computers

were affected and all are running BDTS2015, plus Malwarebytes Antimalware and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, which exceptions configured as recommended, this issue seems to be somewhat random.

Will post any information I received from BD Tech Support, if Georgia does not enlighten us all before I hear back. Hope that all of you are not inconvenienced by this apparent glitch. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

Comments

• garioch7
    Options

Further information on this issue. I started getting an error message on the main computer related to FWUPDATE, which is a firmware updater for LG burners. I have two in the main tower. Disabled that, and

explorer.exe is now working. Of course in the meantime, there were some more BD updates. The chkdsk on the main tower was clean. Windows Event log of one instance of the error is attached.

On the laptop, after another update from BD, explorer.exe also started working fine. My wife got the memory reference error on her computer when shutting down, though her explorer.exe worked during her

session.

From what I can figure, this was some type of a BD update glitch to affect three different computers and produce identical errors ...

Glad I can quit the diagnostics stuff and get on with computing. If anyone has a better hypothesis, I would be very interested to hear it. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=13387" data-fileid="13387" rel="">explorerr.txt

• Rohugh
    Options

Hi Phil,

There was a topic about this a couple of days ago - http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...amp;hl=Explorer . Hopefully whatever caused the problem has been sorted now.

Ro.

• garioch7
    Options

Rohugh:

I hope it is resolved as well and doesn't reoccur. It certainly did waste a lot of my time today trying to figure out what was afflicting my two computers.

I did reference, in my first email, the previous post about this issue from a user in the Anti-Virus Forum, but I did not go to the trouble to actually paste in the

"ShowTopic" link, as you did. I take my hat off to your tech savvy.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

• Georgia
    Options

Hi Phil,

If the issue persists please post back the ticket ID received when contacting Bitdefender support.

Thank you in advance.

• garioch7
    Options

Thanks for your post, Georgia. I sent an email to the BD Tech Support team yesterday to close the ticket I opened, though I have kept a copy of it. So far, everything is working fine today.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

• Diazruanova
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Updated my main computer this AM with the latest BDTS 2015 updates. After that, Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) stopped responding - No error message when it fails to respond, but upon shutdown,

the following error message appears: "LogonUI.exe Application Error, 0x77305357 memory could not be referenced 0x00000000 Windows Logon"

Hi,

I just had yesterday the exact same issue, and I solved it by following the instructions posted here: http://www.ehow.com/how_7433745_fix-window...onui-error.html

...but I think it is most likely a BitDefender issue.

• Nesivos
    Options

I have updated BDIS enough to know that there is a potential conflict with Malwarebytes Premium with every BD 2015 program update and especially an update to BD 2015 from BD 2014.

I have found by experience that uninsalling Malwarebytes and removing all its leftover folders from the unistall helps BD 2015 update properly.

I have also noticed there can be a problem with updating Malwarebybes Preimum when you are using BD 2015.

Steps I have found helpful

1. Enter the necessary exclusions in MBAM and BD 2015 before the update. I exclude three MBAM files in BD 2015. A complete list can be found on the MBAM forum.

2. Uninstall MBAM and delete all its folders. This will not remove the license key from MBAM. I have found it unnesssary to do a clean uninstall of MBAM before upgrading BD 2015

3 Update BD 2015. Wait a while to make sure that no event messages appear.

4. Reinstall MBAM Premium. Takes maybe 30 seconds and the as long as you don't do a clean uninstall using the MBAM uninstall software the license will be there when you reinstall.

In addition sometimes a repair of BD 2015 may be necessary but I would not run this unlesss all else fails since it will reset changes you may have made to the default settings in BD 2015 back to the default settings in BD 2015

This may or may not help with the problem mentioned in the OP on this thread but in anycase I have found it best to uninstall MBAM before doing an update from BD 2014 to BD 2015 or just an update of BD 2015 that requres a restart. While it may not be necessary the time it takes to do an uninstall and resinstall of MBAM is minimal notwithstanding haveing to modify the default settings. No modificaton is necessary if you do not delete the MBAM folders after uninstalling it. However, I have found that leaving the MBAM settings in place before resinstalling can cause a problem with either/and MBAM Premium and BD 2015 after the update. Therefore, after uninstalling MBAM I make sure to delete any remaining folders. Again as long as you don't use the special MBAM uninstall tool your license will remain in place even after deleting the MBAM folders after uninstalling MBAM

P.S. MBAM Preimum is probably not needed and doesn't add much if any in terms of security when you are using BD 2015 and the Active Virus Control and Intrusion Detection System are both set to Maximum and all the features turned on under Web Protection in BD 2015. Running both BD 2015 and MBAM Preimium together also appears to slow down the system and browsing.