Access Network Share

ghulleman
edited January 2015 in Firewall

Working onsite in multiple network of customers, I encountered in Total security 2015 that by default, I cannot access network shares. Windows explorer just keeps processing, eventually saying the share could not be found. OS: Windows 7 prof, x64

I found that the cause was bitdefender firewall and the only way was to set the network to trusted. Even though the Home/Office should "Allow all traffic between your computer and computers in the local network." (source: http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/..._UserGuide.pdf), only 'trusted' allows me to access the external access shares. I do have to note that my laptop is not part of the domain of those networks.

The downside is, that with the adapter as trusted, the firewall is disabled (both inbound and outbound? Nothing on this topic found). I do not want this. I was unable to add explorer.exe to the rules, it simply does not add to the list after pressing OK.

Is it possible to access the network shares, without dropping the firewall by setting it to trusted? Is it possible to drop only the outgoing firewall? Assuming there is an inbound and outbound firewall...

2nd thing I noted; the rules can make exceptions for IP's. However, when using DHCP these can change. Is it possible to add rules based on computer names? I can imaging it is a security risk, but in an office/home situation this risk is acceptable to me, probably for most people.

Comments

• Working onsite in multiple network of customers, I encountered in Total security 2015 that by default, I cannot access network shares. Windows explorer just keeps processing, eventually saying the share could not be found. OS: Windows 7 prof, x64

I found that the cause was bitdefender firewall and the only way was to set the network to trusted. Even though the Home/Office should "Allow all traffic between your computer and computers in the local network." (source: http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/..._UserGuide.pdf), only 'trusted' allows me to access the external access shares. I do have to note that my laptop is not part of the domain of those networks.

The downside is, that with the adapter as trusted, the firewall is disabled (both inbound and outbound? Nothing on this topic found). I do not want this. I was unable to add explorer.exe to the rules, it simply does not add to the list after pressing OK.

Is it possible to access the network shares, without dropping the firewall by setting it to trusted? Is it possible to drop only the outgoing firewall? Assuming there is an inbound and outbound firewall...

2nd thing I noted; the rules can make exceptions for IP's. However, when using DHCP these can change. Is it possible to add rules based on computer names? I can imaging it is a security risk, but in an office/home situation this risk is acceptable to me, probably for most people.

I know very little about Firewalls and do not use BDTS. However, in BDW8S you can write application rules that are farily flexible. For example you can allow both inbound and outbound for an application neither or just inbound or outbound. There are also a number of other options with respect to application rules. In looking at BDIS which I also use the Firewall does not appear to be as flexible with respect to applicaton rules. Again I have no idea about BDTS..

Though I have never tired it I it looks like you can allow general access shares but prohibit them by application if you so desire. You can also allow or deny them by protocol, network type etc.

As far as adding an app to the rules, you may need to add it first to Windows Firewall.

Again I am no expect and consider myself at the beginner's level with repect to Firewalls but maybe what I wrote can give you some ideas on solving your problems.

• ghulleman
    edited January 2015

Thank you for your reply, it is appreciated. But I tried it the way you explained, with no success. I cannot add the windows explorer application (explorer.exe) to the rules list so I cannot make exceptions.

I did however try adding several rules, and now I get a message: "A rule matching the specified properties already exists' in BDTS. But the rule isn't in the list, even if you select 'show general rules'.

As time goes by, I have noted that at home, where I have a NAS which I acces, I can access it with the home/office option. The server at the customer is a windows 2012 server in their domain. On BDTS trusted I can access it, on home/office I cannot.