Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Firewall Won't Remember Settings

I switch my network adapter from "public" to "home/office". I come back the next day, and it is switched back.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling. No luck.

I tried every possible setting for "AutoPilot" (on and off). No luck.

It is doing this to me on both machines I have it installed on.

No matter what I do it won't save the setting.

The problem is I can't print to my network printer with "public" setting on the adapter.

Can anyone help me?

I am also not impressed that when I try to log a support ticked using the tool build into bit defender the tool gets stuck on the "Gathering Information..." screen and never completes.

I switched to bit defender from Symantec in January, and I am starting to feel a bit taken.

- Buzz

Comments

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

Buzz:

Welcome to the BD Forum. My wife had exactly the same issue recently with her new wireless EPSON printer. She did submit a support ticket and got a response, which was helpful and seems to have resolved her issue. Please bear in mind, that I do not work for BitDefender (BD), but I have used it for several years and I am very happy, overall, with the product (nothing is perfect). I just recently renewed by 3-licence pack for another three years, so that is where I am coming from.

When you install BD, you must ensure that NOTHING is running that might interfere with the BD installation. If you have anti-malware or the Windows Firewall or Security Essentials or any other security product running, they have to be shut down. In the case of anti-malware and anti-virus programs, those programs have to be totally disabled and preferably removed before installing or repairing BD. It is sufficient just to turn off the Windows Firewall (Control Panel, System and Security, Firewall). I use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, and I ensure, based on the advice provided in these Forums, and in BD Tech Support Bulletins, that they has been removed using the MBAM and MAE Clean Tools before installing a new full version of BD or repairing the BD installation.

As for the BD Support Tool, it can be frustrating. The BD programmers did not place a priority on feedback to the user, so, just like the installation routine, it just seems to hang. If there are no errors, let it run. Generally, on a reasonably powered computer, it is my experience that it will take at least 30 minutes for it to gather its information, and then the Progress Bar will jump ahead and within the hour, your report will be submitted. I give away no secrets when I say that, if you review posts to this Forum, you will find that BD customers complain mostly about two things: the lack of good and prompt customer support and the affiliation of BD with Avangate, their authorized reseller, because of the default auto renewal policy. I have been instrumental in selling a lot of copies of BD to friends because it is the best a/v program out there in terms of detection and prevention, and no one wants to clean up from a virus, so I accept that no product/company is perfect.

My wife's Support Ticket was surprisingly, promptly responded to. That's a good sign that Tech Support is responding to complaints posted on this Forum.

If you have any other ant-virus or anti-malware solutions running, disable or uninstall them before attempting the BD repair. DO NOT HAVE two anti-virus solutions running or even installed. If any of the above apply, then "Repair" your BD only after the competitors' products have been neutralized (uninstalled totally, using the appropriate "clean" tools from those vendors).

Once BD is repaired or reinstalled, set the BD Firewall for your printer to "Network Type: "Home/Office"; "Stealth Mode: Off", and "Generic: On". Ensure that the Windows Firewall is OFF.

There are additional instructions in my wife's BD support email, if that does not resolve your issue. I would recommend, strongly, that you let the BD Support Tool run and submit a ticket, because all computers are unique. My wife was instructed to change Network Adaptor settings, which she has not done so far, but I think it advisable that you let the pros at BD determine your printer and computers' configurations and determine what might be causing your particular issue. BD Support is getting better and their product is second to none.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor