Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Exploit.msexcel.gen

Options

The June 1 overnight scan on a few computers in our office detected false positves in old files on drives that were not supposed to be scanned.

My BD scan detected Exploit.M###cel.Gen in a 5 year old excel file. BD blocked the file and now I can't open it. This is no big deal on this file, but how to I correct a false positive on a file I need to get to? Why is there no info about Exploit.M###cel.Gen on this site if BD detected it?

Why was BD scanning this server disk when it is not set to scan it? I double-checked the settings and BD was not supposed to scan the F:\ drive.

It looks like the scheduled scans did not actually run on May 31 either, so maybe it was a May 31 update that messed up the June 1 scans?

Has the update that caused these problems been corrected so that this won't happen again or are people going to be asking me every morning about these annoying errors?

Comments

• Unknown
    Options

Hi,

I saw a similar problem myself today.

Some old & one very current Excel file were marked with "Suspect: Exploit.M###cel.Gen" and couldn't be opened. Not could it be disinfected by BD.

Workaround for me was to disable the "AntiVirus | Scan accessed files" switch in BD. This at least gave immediate access to the file, although is clearly not a viable solution.

So would be helpful to hear from BitDefender - is this a genuine new virus? If so, how to clean the file?

If not... how to stop false reports?

Thanks and regards,

James.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Please pack the files in a zip or rar archive with the password infected and attach it here !

• Unknown
    Options
    Please pack the files in a zip or rar archive with the password infected and attach it here !

Hi,

Good news - problem seems to have gone away. I'm assuming the last engine update has fixed the issue.

Will let you know if it re-surfaces.

Regards,

James.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Oky.

If you have problems, come back here !