Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Multiple "port Scans Detected" - Should I Be Worried?

Options
ship69
edited October 2015 in Protection

Hello

I keep getting messages saying "port scans detected. A present I am getting about one new popup every 60 seconds. Quite distracting.

A. Should I be worried?

B. Shouldnt there be some sort of firewall in my Netgear router to defend me from most of this stuff?

C. If there is no need for alarm, how should I switch off all these alerts?

BACKGROUND

I have:

- "BitDefender Total Security 2016" running on

- Windows 8.1 x64 and I have a router:

- Netgear Modem Router N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ (Model: DGND3700v2)

Many thanks

J

Comments

• Nesivos
    Options
    Hello

I keep getting messages saying "port scans detected. A present I am getting about one new popup every 60 seconds. Quite distracting.

A. Should I be worried?

B. Shouldnt there be some sort of firewall in my Netgear router to defend me from most of this stuff?

C. If there is no need for alarm, how should I switch off all these alerts?

BACKGROUND

I have:

- "BitDefender Total Security 2016" running on

- Windows 8.1 x64 and I have a router:

- Netgear Modem Router N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ (Model: DGND3700v2)

Many thanks

J

It is possible someone or some organization is trying to attack your computer and BDTS 2016 is blocking those attacks. Chat rooms tend to geneate a lot of attacks.

There are two utilities that can be helpful in providing you with some useful information about what is going on.

1. WiFi Guard is an excellent little progam that will give you the IP address and additional information about all devices connected to your network. While the information is not always clear there is enough information to find out what the device connected to your network is by searching the web. Anyway I have used WiFi Guard for years and have found it very useful. It is free for Windows and can be downloaded here

2. NirSoft makes a number of free Windows utitlies that are very useful. "CurrPorts" may help you in this situation. These apps do not install. You download the file which is zipped and unzip it. Make sure to create a folder to unzip the zipped file into. Then you should read the text file. After that run the exe that extracted from the zip file. When you done using it just close the report. That is all there is too it. CurrPorts can be downloaded here

I have used both products for years and have never had a problem with attached PUPs, malware, malvertising or anything annoying. They are just nice helpful Windows utilities.

• There is new firmware for your router, I have the same model. If you haven't already upgraded your firmware I suggest you do as the firmware it comes with is vulnerable.

Log in to your router and first backup your settings and save them somewhere. Then get the firmware update image from Netgear, Login, and there is a simple to use option in the routers interface to browse to the firmware you downloaded and select it. You can then use your settings backup to restore your settings.