Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

"bitdefender Agent" High Cpu Usage

Options

Hi!

I have subscribed to Bitdefender Total Security 2016, and I am noticing that the program has a process called "Bitdefender Agent (32-bit)" that is constantly using approx. 30% of the CPU. That causes the computer's fans to be active all the time. This isn't normal, is it? Is it really supposed to use that much of the CPU power?

In Bitdefender settings, I have the Shield on-access scanning set to custom, with "Scan all files" and "Scan network shares" checked, no scan inside archives, "Scan incoming/outgoing e-mails" and "Scan HTTP traffic" checked, "Scan boot sectors", "Scan only new and changed files", "Scan for keyloggers", and "Early boot scan" checked, and "Move files to quarantine" checked. I have Active Threat Control set to Normal. I thought that would be helpful information to give, but if you need any more information on my particular settings, just let me know. :)

I really hope someone can help me with this. I want to use Bitdefender, but I think a constant 30% CPU usage is a little too excessive.

Comments

• You might want to try following below, from http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=68481

Hi Lagarto and welcome to the Bitdefender forums!

To further look into this matter please create a dump file of Bitdefender agent when the issue occurs (from Task Manager) and upload it on a file transfer website together with a Bitdefender diagnostic log from that computer.

Then send us an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com with the download links for both files. Thank you!

• Nesivos
    Nesivos
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi!

I have subscribed to Bitdefender Total Security 2016, and I am noticing that the program has a process called "Bitdefender Agent (32-bit)" that is constantly using approx. 30% of the CPU. That causes the computer's fans to be active all the time. This isn't normal, is it? Is it really supposed to use that much of the CPU power?

In Bitdefender settings, I have the Shield on-access scanning set to custom, with "Scan all files" and "Scan network shares" checked, no scan inside archives, "Scan incoming/outgoing e-mails" and "Scan HTTP traffic" checked, "Scan boot sectors", "Scan only new and changed files", "Scan for keyloggers", and "Early boot scan" checked, and "Move files to quarantine" checked. I have Active Threat Control set to Normal. I thought that would be helpful information to give, but if you need any more information on my particular settings, just let me know. :)

I really hope someone can help me with this. I want to use Bitdefender, but I think a constant 30% CPU usage is a little too excessive.

I have noticed that some other programs cause BD Agent to go bonkers. For excample, WinPrivacy by WinPatrol will set off BD Agent though it is random.

I have also noticed that the fewer other security apps you use the lower the memory usage of vsserv.exe. In fact depending on the program there can be quite a bit of difference in memory usage by vsserv.exe when the other program is installed and running vs not installed. I basically cut my security apps down to four, BDTS, Malwarebytes Premium, EMET and WinPatrol. As a result I am regularly showing memory usage by vsserv.exe at 150MB or less which is pretty good.

You might want to take a look at your other security apps or even non security apps that load at startup or you load and run after startup. See if eliminating any of them from running even in the background solves your problem.

If you can localize another program that is causing the problem contact that program manufacturer and also open a BD support ticket. Good luck.

P.S. These type of issues are often caused by driver conflicts.

• Thank you for both of your replies!

Next time the problem happens, I'll follow what ryspredator said and create a Bitdefender dump file and diagnostic log that I can send to Bitdefender so they can have some actual resources to look at.

I will also keep in mind what you said, Nesivos, and think about what programs are running and if are they causing a conflict.

This was all very helpful advice, so thank you very much! :)