Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Internal Network Issues BD10

Options
Chopper
edited June 2007 in General talk

Gday guys,

i have just installed BD10 evaluation version with a view to purchasing 5 or more licenses if im convinced the software is any good. Overall, im fairly pleased with it but i need to find a solution to an internal network issues before i go ahead.

The Setup: My home network consists of One PC (ethernet connection to router), a laptop (wireless connection to router) and an XBOX (ethernet connection to router). All machines have a static IP's ... 192.168.1.2, 3, 4. Subnet masks 255.255.255.0.

Everything talked to each other before BD installation.

The Problem: The main PC, with BD installed on it, can access all machines. Every other machine cant access the PC with BD on it.

Have tried to setup rules that permit PC's in same subnet mask to talk but its not working. The only thing the other machines can see is the Computer Name of the PC with BD on it. Have also tried to turn the firewall/ BD control centre off, but it doesnt seem to make any difference. Whats the best way of ceasing all BD activity/ processes so you can troubleshoot?

Can you get tech support before you buy?

Im sure theres a simple solution, but i cant find it. In not a network numpty but im not a guru either. Would really appreciate a solution before i fork over the ###.

Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• alexcrist
    Options

Hi Chopper,

Here's a topic on the same subject. It worked for a few users (including me): http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=505

Can you get tech support before you buy?

Yes, you can get support while you are in trial. You can get help either here (on this forum), either by mail (support@bitdefender.com) or by LiveAssistance (www.bitdefender.com/live-support)

Cris.

• Chopper
    edited June 2007
    Options

Thanks for the fast reply Cris.

I read that post previously and tried the suggestions but to no avail. I had a similar result to one of the contributors to that topic in that my IP's always ended with a 0 as opposed to the actual IP address of the device. Regardless, i still cant browse the shared folders on the PC with BD installed on it, via the network (from the laptop or XBOX).

Here is an image grab of the Edit Rule in the Traffic section of the Firewall tab.

bdports.jpg

No matter what i try, i cant change that last 0. Any ideas?

• vladx
    Options

Hello Chopper

To change the last 0 you must select at Type the option Specify Mask and set the Mask to 255.255.255.255.

• Chopper
    Options

Hey vladx,

thanks for the suggestion mate. I was able to change the 0 to a 3 in BD using your settings, but my other machines werent even able to see the BD PC at all then, where-as before, they could see the Computer Name, but just not be able to access the files.

Tried changing the subnet masks of the BD PC to your suggestions but it wouldnt let me - mask out of range. Also tried changing the rule but using a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 but the IP always defaulted back to a 0.

Frustrating the ###### out of me. :-|

Any other ideas?

• Chopper
    Options

Is there any reason why i cant get an account? Have tried twice but still waiting on a License Code to login so i can get 'Live Assist' Tech Support. Have been waiting 2 days now.

Am starting to lose faith in this organisation.

btw ... *bump* ;)

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited June 2007
    Options

Hi Chopper,

You don't need a license/account to ask for Live Assistance. I don't have an account and I've had lots of chats with the Support Team.

About your problem: You didn't create a correct rule.

Do what you see in my screenshot. You don't have to restrict the source address, only the destination address. After that, go to Edit Profile and move both rules to the top (you'll see that the rules are a bit different, because BD automatically changed the source/destination addresses for the Inboud and Outbound lists).

In my screenshot I've selected:

Any application

Allow All

Both (Direction)

Any (Protocol)

Any (Source Address) <<==>> you can select Local here

Class C network (dest address)

(sorry, but I have BD in Romanian so the screenshot is in Romanian)

Cris.

post-60-1181107149_thumb.jpg

• Chopper
    Options

Thanks again for the reply Cris, but still no luck. Still cant access firewalled PC, trailing 3 digits of IP address are dropped to a 0.

Have even tried different profiles under 'Trusted Network' option.

Have spoken with Live assist and they confirm its not normal behaviour. Will kee you posted with what i find out and am still open to suggestions.

Cheers

• Niels
    Options

Hi chopper

I once had also a problem that the wrong ip address was displayed I could fix it by running winsockfix. After that BitDefender detected the correct gateway. You can download it here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network...inSockFix.shtml

It will not harm your system. Hope that helps.

Regards

Niels

• Chopper
    Options
    the wrong ip address was displayed

Hey Niels, thx for the suggestion. Do you mean that the IP was incorrectly displayed in Bit Defender? .. or was it wrong on the TCP/IP adapter details/ status ?

My network was fine before BD installation.

• Hey Niels, thx for the suggestion. Do you mean that the IP was incorrectly displayed in Bit Defender? .. or was it wrong on the TCP/IP adapter details/ status ?

My network was fine before BD installation.

This is very possible, I had this kind of problmes too (BD wasn't displaying the right IP/Gateway addresses). However, this doesn't affect me too much, beacuse I don't have a network configured.

Andrei

• Niels
    Options

Hi Chopper

My ip address was displayed wrong under BitDefender as under TCP/IP adapter details/ status. After I used that tool and rebooted my pc it was displayed correctly.

Regards

Niels

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited June 2007
    Options

Hi Chopper,

Try to make a rule for just one single IP (not the whole subnet) and see if that PC can access the files from the PC with BitDefender. If this doesn't work, then there is a problem with the IP addresses.

If it does work, then there could be a problem with BD (the way it handles subnets).

Don't forget to move the rules you create to the top on the Inbound and Outbound lists.

Oh, and one more thing: if it still doesn't work, then you could click Edit profile, search in both lists the rule which blocks port 139 and disable that rule (don't delete it, just clear it's checkbox). Now this should work because File&Printer sharing is made through port 139 (NetBIOS). Remember that this is just a temporary solution and it will enable File&Printer Sharing for any computer that asks for it (not only for your PCs).

If this isn't working either, then there's no problem with BD. It's more like a problem with something else that's blocking the traffic (maybe you have some other firewall active?).

As I said in the other topic, this behavior also appears to me. I have two PCs (connected to each other), but I can't currently test this problem because one of my PCs is not working.

Cris.