backup from a protected folder ?

I have a folder which have 600 GB of Family Videos

and I have that Folder Under Protected Folders in bitdefender internet security 2019

today I bought a western digital my passport external Driver

and I used the Western Digital backup Software that was included to backup that folder to my WD My Passport

i forgot to remove the folder which contain the family videos from protected folders list in bitdefender before starting the backup

but the backup was completed successfully

my question is

just to be sure 

do i need to re do the backup with the folder is removed from the protected folders list

just to be sure all the files was copied and bitdefender did Not prevent some files to be transferred because the folder was on protected folders list and the WD back software was Not on the application access list on bitdefender  ?

i have bitdefender internet security 2019

Comments

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

/index.php?/profile/215539-mariah-liana-22/" data-ipshover-target="https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?/profile/215539-mariah-liana-22/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="215539" rel="">@Mariah liana 22

Welcome to the Bitdefender Forums.  I do system images of both of my computers weekly, and I have Safe Files turned on with the default folders protected.  I have not added either of the two backup programs that I use to the authorized applications lists nor do I remove the protection from those folders when I run my backups.

My understanding is that Safe Files protects files from being modified.  A backup is simply a copy operation, so I am quite confident that your backup is OK.  Bitdefender is supposed to display a "pop-up notice" when the Safe Files protection component is activated and blocks an application.

To be absolutely certain that your backup is complete, you could browse your backup and ascertain for sure whether your videos were backed up.  See this link.

I hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• On 12/1/2018 at 6:19 PM, garioch7 said:

/index.php?/profile/215539-mariah-liana-22/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="215539" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/215539-mariah-liana-22/" rel="">@Mariah liana 22

Welcome to the Bitdefender Forums.  I do system images of both of my computers weekly, and I have Safe Files turned on with the default folders protected.  I have not added either of the two backup programs that I use to the authorized applications lists nor do I remove the protection from those folders when I run my backups.

My understanding is that Safe Files protects files from being modified.  A backup is simply a copy operation, so I am quite confident that your backup is OK.  Bitdefender is supposed to display a "pop-up notice" when the Safe Files protection component is activated and blocks an application.

To be absolutely certain that your backup is complete, you could browse your backup and ascertain for sure whether your videos were backed up.  See this link.

I hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Indeed, just a small addition, not all applications are blocked by default, only those considered suspicious. If your backup application is digitally signed, it's unlikely it would be blocked. 

This discussion has been closed.