Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

directory traversal exploit attempt

Hi - I have been using Bitdefender Free for years without any issues. Yesterday I bought & Installed Bitdefender Total Security 2019. Since the install (just on my laptop for now), I have been getting messages about Exploit Attempts and Privacy threats. And these have been coming from -apparently- within my network. The IP addresses shown are of various devices on my network, including my main router, a connected switch and my TV. Since then I've updated the firmware of the switch, changed the password, changed the router password (ISP provided router --> I can't manually change firmware) and scanned my TV (Samsung) for virusses with the built-in scanner. For completeness I should mention I've got some SONOS devices too, but they haven't come up.

Example message: "A directory traversal exploit attempt was made by 192.168.2.4. We blocked the connection to prevent it from gaining unauthorized access and altering critical system data."

Weird thing is that it only happens really when I switch my computer on, and after some minutes there's some of these messages and they nothing further happens. 

Any ideas on further action?

Comments

• Just an update - I checked with Bitdefender Homescanner and no vulnerabilities were found on any of my devices. Furthermore, I checked via Bullguard IoT scanner (which checks on Shodan) and neither the quick scan nor the deepscan showed any vulnerabilities. Lastly I did complete virus scans on all the computers not just with bitdefender, I also used a few other ones) with no issues found. 

• Hello,

Have you tried to add the IP under Exceptions from Online Threat Prevention? Do you still receive the notifications after adding an exception?

• Hi Roxana - no, I haven't as I first wanted to check as to whether or not the warnings were legit. Seems, they were not though. As a precaution though, for now, I moved my laptops to the guest wifi, so that IoT devices etc can't play any havoc. Less than ideal of a solution though. 

This discussion has been closed.